Struggling to actually start a game- common problem?

New to the game? New to the site? Wanting to find a mentor game? Have a look here.

Moderator: WHSeward

Struggling to actually start a game- common problem?

Postby SeventyAce » 05 Dec 2017, 01:45

Hey! New player here, looking forward to actually being able to play a game of Diplomacy here on the site but I'm running into a problem.

What always seems to happen is once a game fills up with seven players, one or two of them just won't hit confirm, leaving the rest of us to drive ourselves crazy re-refreshing the page as the deadline creeps up on us.
No matter which game I join it seems like at least one player has forgotten about it, which is absolutely maddening- why even join a game if you're not going to actually play?

Is this a common problem? I'm just a bit worried that the long delays are going to lead to even more players forgetting about the game and not confirming, like some self-feeding cycle of perpetual waiting. Does anyone have any advice besides just hoping to get lucky?
SeventyAce

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (993)
All-game rating: (993)
Timezone: GMT

Re: Struggling to actually start a game- common problem?

Postby mhsmith0 » 05 Dec 2017, 02:02

It does happen sometimes unfortunately. One thing that might be helpful is to try joining things like NMR-protected games, since I think you get a group of people who are bit more cautious about abandoning their commitments. Good luck!
mhsmith0
Premium Member

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1254
All-game rating: 1435
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby ColonelApricot » 05 Dec 2017, 02:38

It's likely that these folks just join up to every game they can lay their hands on, then once one of the games gets started they just forget about the others, producing the situation that you are experiencing. BTW NMR Protect is not going to help because that only kicks in when the game is already one round in.

You could try the same approach, i.e. joining multiple games, but hopefully being more courteous about withdrawing from the abandoned games after your game starts than some of these types.

..CA
Ethiopia in Dissolution
GRU of the Despicables
ColonelApricot
Premium Member

Standard rating: 979
All-game rating: 1395
Timezone: GMT

Postby Blackdiamond » 05 Dec 2017, 02:45

I likewise have been waiting for weeks for a game to start. At one point, all but one person confirmed. Then people dropped out. Now we have 3 unconfirmed. I have thought about just starting a game myself with the same terms and hope that the other players who are confirmed will see it and join. The reason I am holding out for the existing game is that it specifically mentions beginners, which I am.
Blackdiamond
Premium Member

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: 939
All-game rating: 950
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby V » 05 Dec 2017, 03:05

I suggest a Mentor Game. They are brilliantly run by experienced players. Participants join via a list & in the event of a surrender, replacements are quickly found. Even though I have played since 1970, this was how I was introduced to online play at PlayDip.

From there join the Classicists, that have by my experience the best games on the site.

A new innovation is the (PDL) PlayDip Diplomacy League that starts in January. The league will have set fixtures organised by mjparrett, so issues such as no confirmation, NMR’s, surrenders should be moderate. I have signed up to participate & suggest all who want reliable games should do so. It has no entry requirements other than you sign up to participate & please don’t quit.

The PDL has a sub forum with rules, sign up thread etc. Take a look & if you like what mjparrett has put together join in. I’ll see you there.

Best Regards V
Platinum Classicist
Voilà! In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of Fate. This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is a vestige of the vox populi, now vacant, vanished.
V

Standard rating: 1691
All-game rating: 1717

Postby StarkAdder » 05 Dec 2017, 15:35

SeventyAce and Black DIamond have a valid point.

Yes, Mentor Games, patience and a bit of luck can help, but as an experienced player I often find the same frustration ... you sign up to join a game, hoping it will start in a day or two -- when your schedule is optimal to engage in a good round of Diplomacy -- and then find that starting it drags on forever. First you wait to get 7 to join, and then wait almost as long to get the same 7 to confirm. This is true of ranked and NMR games, too, so it's not just a problem of beginners not yet knowing the rules.

Nothing is more maddening that when you reach critical mass of 7 and all but one confirm, while the remaining player never responds until the game resets to its previous stage. Well, on second thought, even more maddening is when a game you join a month before reaches "confirmation" stage multiple times, but resets each time to "Join Game" and then times out because not enough people have joined before the expiry date! That has happened to me several times, too.

I wonder if their might be some way to use the PlayDip scoring system to penalize players who join a game but then never confirm participation. If you deducted 5 points from their PlayDip score each time they do so, they might be less likely to Join Games that they later decide not to play (but cannot be bothered with the courtesy of formally withdrawing).
StarkAdder
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1305
All-game rating: 1211
Timezone: GMT+1

Postby V » 05 Dec 2017, 15:54

Indeed all, I was not suggesting non-confirmation of participation was not an unpleasant drag, when hoping a game will start. I was just suggesting that once you have a couple of quality games in progress (Mentor, Oldies, Classicist or PDL - whatever flavour you prefer) then the wait & frustration become more bearable.
Platinum Classicist
Voilà! In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of Fate. This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is a vestige of the vox populi, now vacant, vanished.
V

Standard rating: 1691
All-game rating: 1717

Return to PlayDip Academy