Mentors for Varient games?

New to the game? New to the site? Wanting to find a mentor game? Have a look here.

Moderator: WHSeward

Mentors for Varient games?

Postby sleepyjim » 01 Jul 2014, 23:09

Are there? IF not I think it would be great to have, I am starting to play some of them but some are......I dont know a bit diff for me and I sure do not want to screw up in a live game and ruin it for the others (after they are done laughing at me....LOL).

So if there is, is it in the mentor area? Where can I find such a thing?

Thanks

Jim
Gold Member of The Classicists!

Member of The Oldies!

Solo Win: Water Water Everywhere PBFD

2 Way Draw: 21st Century Diplomacy PBFD
sleepyjim

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (1122)
All-game rating: (1101)
Timezone: GMT-7

Re: Mentors for Varient games?

Postby glacier777 » 01 Jul 2014, 23:23

Hi Jim,

We don't currently have this feature.
The standard mentor games are designed to teach players about the rules and game mechanics, as well as using the site interface.

Obviously, in order to play variants, you need to be premium.
I think that it is assumed that premium players have an excellent grasp of the rules and diplomacy in general. It is also assumed that these players will be able to grasp the new features that the variants offer.
All of the variant rules can be found by clicking on Rules -> Variant rules from the homepage. The Versailles rules are not there yet, they are here.

If you are playing a variant for the first time then I would suggest making a 'noobs' game for that variant. Aim it at players who have never played that map before too. I am planning on doing this when I play Ancient Mediterranean for the first time.

I will give a brief overview of variant rules:
Milan: Only a slight change in the map around Italy/France. Easy to grasp.
Ancient Mediterranean: A different map but no rule changes. Should be easy enough to grasp.
1900: Modified Map with a few rules changes. Read over them and you should understand. Play once and it should make sense.
Versailles: Modified Map. The obvious change is that you have two countries but this isn't too hard to grasp either. Just be sure to read the rules article that I linked to above.

You can always post a question on the forum.

Hope that helps
Back on PlayDip after a 3 year hiatus

Silver member of the Classicists
glacier777

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1264)
All-game rating: (1278)
Timezone: GMT+1

Postby Alman » 01 Jul 2014, 23:50

Yep to everything above.

Another idea would be to make a non-rank or friends game and then on the forum invite players who just want some fun and say you are trying to get experience with the variant. I recently joined a friends Versailles game with no one I knew after I was recruited to play with a group that wanted to try out the variant. Shared a draw at the end and had a fun time. When my game pile slows down a little I'd be willing to join a variant game with you for fun. Versailles is the only one that is significantly different as far as game mechanics go. 1900 has one major variation with a special Russian rule. Mostly it is just learning different strategic opportunities.

Good luck.
Bronze Member: The Classicists & Oldies
War in the Americas 7 PbF

"The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote" -Kosh
"Nothing has to be true, but everything has to sound like it was." -Salvor Hardin
Alman

Standard rating: (1466)
All-game rating: (1586)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby sleepyjim » 02 Jul 2014, 01:24

Ok thanks for the replies...'

If you guys start a game, msg me so I can join in....

Thank you,

Jim
Gold Member of The Classicists!

Member of The Oldies!

Solo Win: Water Water Everywhere PBFD

2 Way Draw: 21st Century Diplomacy PBFD
sleepyjim

Standard rating: (1122)
All-game rating: (1101)
Timezone: GMT-7

Return to PlayDip Academy