Double Reversible Black Hole Dip (Cancelled)

New games taking their initial sign-ups and active games needing replacements / reserves.

Moderator: Morg

Double Reversible Black Hole Dip (Cancelled)

Postby EpicDim » 28 Apr 2019, 05:01

Cancelled due to Vain Rats starting.

Double Reversible Black Hole Dip

Rules:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Regular rules of Diplomacy apply except as below.

2. The winner is the player that at the end of a Fall move/retreat owns over half of the non-black holed SCs. This game could end with everyone eliminated which will be considered a 7-way tie.

3. During each Spring and Fall move two spaces will be randomly selected from the 75 passable provinces on the board plus Switzerland. These two spaces will become or return from a BLACK HOLE. The provinces selected can include both land and sea spaces.

4. A space which becomes a black hole will cease to exist immediately after the move phase. Any unit ending in that space will be allowed to retreat during the retreat phase or choose to be removed with the black hole. If the province is a supply center it is considered out of the game. All provinces which are adjacent to the Black Hole are now adjacent to each other i.e. movement, support, retreats and convoys can pass through them as though they weren't there. A province which returns from a black hole comes back with the unit(s) and supply center that disappeared with it when it became a black hole. Supply centers return with the same ownership they had when they disappeared. If two units are in a space when it returns from a black hole, both will need to retreat after the return.

Clarification: This may mean the loss or creation of coastlines, so that provinces may have more than one coastline for the first time, may have coastlines where they didn't have them before, or lose coastlines which they did have. Fleets on a coastline which is suddenly divided into two must choose which coastline to be placed on during the retreat phase. Fleets in a coastal province which gets a new coastline not part of the original one stay on the coast they were already on. Fleets on coastlines which become marooned in a landlocked province will be destroyed during the retreat phase.

Clarification: If a second black hole is created touching an existing one, then the logic of the rule applies: all provinces touching the first black hole were touching the new black hole, so they are all touching those adjacent to the second black hole.

Clarification: Archipelagos that allow fleets to move through them (Denmark) will continue to do so to any sea space regardless of the number of adjacent sea spaces. They also do not stop coastal crawl through them and will continue to not disrrupt coastal crawl. These spaces will also cause adjacent spaces to be considered coastal even if the space has no other adjacent sea space.

Clarification: Canals (Constantinople) do not create coastlines on adjacent spaces but do connect coasts within that space.

5. If you have one or fewer home centers left on the board you may build from any owned supply center.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Game Deadlines
This game will be run with 3/1/1. 3 days for Spring and Fall orders (5 days for both 1901 phases), 1 day for retreats, 1 day for winter.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Basic GM Rules

This is Diplomacy, so you should know how to write regular Diplomacy orders. It's up to you to make sure orders are accurate and complete. I won't parse them so if an order is ambiguous it will be ignored. If it's clear what they mean then no problem but if they're at all ambiguous they're invalid. Each unit must have an order for it to do something so an argument like "You could see from my convoy order what the army was supposed to be doing" will not hold any weight. The one exception to invalid orders is that if you use army or fleet designations and you pick the wrong one the order will still be valid since that designation is irrelevant to the order. Sets of orders must be complete. If you send one message with 5 units' orders and a subsequent message with only one unit ordered, only the one unit will be ordered. If two different orders are given for the same unit in the same set, then it will be considered ambiguous and neither will be executed.

If you spot an error in my adjudication please report it as soon as possible. Any error not reported before the next deadline may not be corrected. This includes map issues as well as adjudication issues of any kind.

If you ask a rules question then if it has an unambiguous answer I'll answer it; if it's something not clearly covered by the game rules I'll do my best, but in the light of argument from other players I might change my mind after the adjudication. If you think I'm wrong, I expect you to say so loudly (publicly or privately) and with clear reasons; if you do, I'll listen and consider the arguments (and allow an extension while it's sorted out). If a question is asked privately then it will be answered privately.

Deadlines will always be at 8pm Central US Time (including daylight savings changes). I'll send a PM when the results are posted with the next deadline in both Central time and GMT.

For phases longer than 1 day I'll send a reminder about 24 hours before the deadline (give or take a few hours) to those players who orders are expected from and have not yet submitted orders. This is because Civil Disorder can ruin a game. The reminder message is a courtesy and its absence is in no way an excuse for you not to get your orders in.

Speed deadlines: Once I have orders from all players I will process them as soon as possible, unless they are marked to be held. ('Provisional' or 'Wait' or some similar designation is fine). I encourage provisional orders where appropriate to reduce the risk of Civil Disorder and I don't mind how often you change them. I will only use the last set I receive. But if you do send in provisional orders please let me know once you're happy to finalize them. I may write to check if yours are the only orders waiting to be finalized, but if I do, then this is a reminder not a hassle. Don't feel pressured into finalizing before you're ready.

Requests for extensions: If I receive a request for an extension I will put it up for a vote and must have more players voting yes than voting no to approve it. Each player may only request one extension per phase.

Please note: if you want a substitute while you're away it's your job to find one.

Grace periods: If you miss a deadline I will start harassing you and you will have 24 hours to turn in orders. During the grace period orders can still be changed by anyone but can be adjudicated as soon as all players have submitted even if they are marked as provisional. Grace periods are intended to give players a little extra time for emergencies, missing the deadline even when getting orders in by the grace period still counts as a "missed deadline". They are not intended to continually make the deadlines longer.

Forced Replacement: If you miss the deadline in one of the following situations you will be replaced and the game will hold until a replacement is found. 1) No moves are received after the grace period for a first year movement phase, 2) No moves are received at the deadline for two movement phases in a row, 3) No moves are received at the deadline for four total movement phases during the game.

I will aim to process the orders at the deadline though there may be exceptions. If you get orders in late but before I begin you'll get away with it. Once I start adjudicating it's too late to change orders.

Errors in adjudication are possible. Check the adjudication and map after orders to make sure everything is right. Any error not reported by the next deadline will stand. If there is a difference between the adjudication and the map that is not noticed by the deadline, the map will take precedence.

Draws: I accept secret draw requests. They will be messaged to all remaining players. For a draw to pass it will require an unanimous Yes vote from all remaining players. For a vote to count it must be sent to the GM only and be your first vote on the proposal. The proposer is NOT assumed to have voted yes (unlike extension requests). It will remain valid for one game year or until a single No vote occurs. If it passes I will send it out immediately. If it fails it will be sent out with the results for the following season to avoid timing of who voted it down.

The GM's decision is final.
Last edited by EpicDim on 29 Jun 2019, 17:36, edited 6 times in total.
Gauls (Ad Arma) 3-way, Russia (Othello) 4-way, Austria (Crowded Othello) Solo, England (Devious GM 2) Solo, Egypt (Time Travel) 3-way, (Exploration: Great Expeditions) Solo, Han (Warring States 2) Solo
EpicDim

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1000)
All-game rating: (1169)
Timezone: GMT-6

Re: Double Reversible Black Hole Dip (0 of 7)

Postby AKFD » 28 Apr 2019, 05:46

So we're reviving this crazy variant?

Count me in!
Silver Classicist! (well, I used to be one)

Apparently "the biggest GoT fan" (@Pootleflump)

Have fun on this website. Signing off.

Telleo wrote: I hereby dub AKFD the official PlayDip Mafia Royal Historian.
AKFD

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (834)
All-game rating: (772)
Timezone: GMT+8

Re: Double Reversible Black Hole Dip (1 of 7)

Postby Nanook » 28 Apr 2019, 10:19

Agh, played this last time it was run...reallllly want to play it again....screw it, count me in.
Platinum Classicist
(h/t lordelindel)

Admin
Nanook

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1209)
All-game rating: (1413)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby Woolgie » 28 Apr 2019, 12:50

Will you be setting up a discord for messaging?
I ran Play Diplomacy League for a time and then I set it free
Redesigning my Star Wars variant
Still proud of my solo in Versailles Fog Chaos
WDC 2020 38th place
Woolgie
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1028
All-game rating: 929
Timezone: GMT

Postby EpicDim » 28 Apr 2019, 15:45

I'm considering Discord of the players want it. I'll go with the majority. I've never done it before so I'll need some pointers.
Gauls (Ad Arma) 3-way, Russia (Othello) 4-way, Austria (Crowded Othello) Solo, England (Devious GM 2) Solo, Egypt (Time Travel) 3-way, (Exploration: Great Expeditions) Solo, Han (Warring States 2) Solo
EpicDim

Re: Double Reversible Black Hole Dip (2 of 7)

Postby Iamnobody » 29 Apr 2019, 00:58

How soon do you plan on starting this game. This sounds interesting.
Heptarchy XVI - Wales - 6-way draw winner
Days of Enlightenment II - Sweden - 8-way draw winner
Blitzkrieg 4 - UK - Survivor
Iamnobody

Standard rating: 1056
All-game rating: 1072

Postby Nanook » 29 Apr 2019, 01:52

I'm in favor of discord, makes messaging a lot easier in my opinion. Happy to help you set it up if you want, I've used it for a lot of games at this point.
Platinum Classicist
(h/t lordelindel)

Admin
Nanook

Standard rating: (1209)
All-game rating: (1413)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby EpicDim » 29 Apr 2019, 15:14

Iamnobody wrote:How soon do you plan on starting this game. This sounds interesting.

As soon as I have 7 I'll start it up.
EpicDim

Postby Iamnobody » 29 Apr 2019, 15:28

I'm out of town from May 8th - 13th, but go ahead and count me in.

I'll still have normal internet access and should have no problems with taking my turn.
Heptarchy XVI - Wales - 6-way draw winner
Days of Enlightenment II - Sweden - 8-way draw winner
Blitzkrieg 4 - UK - Survivor
Iamnobody

Standard rating: 1056
All-game rating: 1072

Re: Double Reversible Black Hole Dip (3 of 7)

Postby dweller » 23 Jun 2019, 10:43

This seems interesting... count me in
dweller

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (871)
All-game rating: (862)
Timezone: GMT

Next

Return to PbF Game Recruitment