Air and Nuclear Diplomacy Recruiting (6/7)

New games taking their initial sign-ups and active games needing replacements / reserves.

Moderator: Morg

Air and Nuclear Diplomacy Recruiting (6/7)

Postby pjkon » 27 Feb 2019, 23:21

Modern Mechanics is now recruiting!

If you wish to participate in a time-limited play-test of this varient, please PM me and also reply in thread. If you have any particular preferences for what power you'd like to play please include that preference in the PM not in the thread post (conflicts will be broken with random.org).

This play-test will last 4 years of game time and at the end of it there will be an option to continue for any who enjoyed the first four years.

Rules are below:

Rules are identical to standard diplomacy with the following exceptions:

Builds:
On any winter phase players may elect to build a missile battery or an air wing in place of an army or fleet. Wings and missiles contribute to total unit count in the same way that armies and fleets do (total wings+missiles+armies+fleets must equal total number of scs after adjustments). The number of builds or disbands available to a player is determined by the number of scs that player controls at the START of the winter phase in question. Given the existence of missiles that sc count may change during the winter phase.

Air Space:
On the map collections of territories are surrounded by thick black borders rather than the usual thin black borders. These borders govern the movement of armies and fleets in the same way that ordinary borders do. The significance of these borders is that all territories encompassed within a single thick border are under a common "airspace."

Wings:

Wings Actions:
Wings have three kinds of actions they can perform, just like fleets do. These orders are: move, support, and "bombing campaign." They may not convoy. They may not be convoyed.

Wings movement:
Wings may move from any space to the airspace above it, they may move from any airspace to any adjacent airspace, and they may move from any airspace to any friendly-colored territory beneath that airspace. A territory is a friendly color if either 1) it is colored with the color of the wing's owner at the start of the game, and is not a friendly color for any other player's wings or 2) if the territory were a supply center it would be under the control of the power controlling the wing (i.e. it was occupied in a fall turn by a unit of the player).

Wing Support: Wings may support actions in any space into which they could move just like all other units. This means that wings may always support actions in the airspace above them, in airspace adjacent to an airspace they occupy, or in friendly territories below an airspace that they occupy. They may not support actions in ground spaces adjacent to their own. They may not support actions in sea spaces unless those spaces have previously been occupied by a fleet belonging to the same power and no other power has since occupied it with a fleet in a fall phase. Planes moving to a sea space represents them landing on a carrier.

Bombing Campaign: When a wing is in an airspace that wing may, in lieu of taking other actions, be ordered to carry out a "bombing campaign." This consists of the wing not trying to land in a space suitable for it, or to fly somewhere else, but rather to patrol the area in which it currently resides looking for enemy targets to bomb. When a wing does this its controller's units win all battles that take place in spaces beneath the airspace of the wing. This can be thought of as giving each of the units of the player beneath that airspace 0.01 additional power (never enough to prevail on its own but always enough to tip the balance of a tie).

Disambiguation:
When a player engages on both sides of a conflict, say by supporting two powers into the same space, the tiebreak provided by the bombing campaign goes to the side on which more units of the wing controlling power were participating (two supports beats one support). Convoys do not count towards this adjudication as they do not contribute directly to the force applied to the battle. This means that if the power controlling the wing conducting a bombing campaign supports a unit of one power into a space under the wing's airspace and convoys another power into that same space, the moves do not bounce even if otherwise equal because one has "more air support."

Nuclear Missiles:

Missile Battery Actions:
Missile batteries have three actions like fleets do. They may move, support or launch. They may not convoy.

Missile Movement:
A missile may move to any adjacent land space, or any space to which it is convoyed by a fleet. Missiles in other words move like armies do.

Missile movement: Missiles may support actions in any space to which they could move without a convoy. Missiles support like armies do (tactical nukes spotted from the launchers). Missiles move and hold with a strength of zero and cannot capture supply centers if they occupy them at the end of a fall phase.

Missile Launch:
A missile may be launched as any territory, land or sea, within range. For the map above every territory is "within range" of every other territory. If different technological assumptions are desired in a given variant then range may be limited to territories under the same airspace, or under adjacent airspaces, or within a certain number of territories, or by any other criterion appropriate to the historical moment in which the variant is set. Missiles may be launched in the winter as well as spring and fall phases, but they may not move during the winter phase. When a missile is launched at a territory then, before any other moves are adjudicated, all supply centers and units in that territory are destroyed and the missile battery itself it consumed and removed from the map. This is the only way a missile can affect supply center count. A missile ending its turn in an uncontrolled supply center does not change its ownership.

Disambiguation:
A missile that strikes an sc in a winter phase destroys the sc before any build in that sc took place. Since a build requires an sc in which to occur the build then fails. If a missile strikes a unit moving or supporting that order is canceled (it required a unit to carry out. Nuclear cinders can't bounce or support.) A missile launched in the winter phase does not count towards units on the board for the purpose of computing builds for the player launching it. So you can launch a missile in place of a disband, or to get a build, but you can't build in a supply center occupied by a missile even if you launch it because the sc has to be clear at the start of the winter phase.

Map notes: Middle east has a northern and a southern coast, Arabia, Quebec, Toronto, the Philippines, Indonesia, Scandinavia and Great Britain all include some connected water space. Fleets can't convoy through these. Territories marked in darker brown (not the color of India) are impassable. Any island or body of water not named cannot be moved into for game purposes. North West Pacific borders North-East Pacific and mid Pacific around the world and South West Pacific borders Mid Pacific and South East Pacific the same way. Lastly 40 sc on map, 21 needed for a solo.

Full Resolution Map Here:
https://imgur.com/WUplEad
Last edited by pjkon on 03 May 2019, 17:59, edited 6 times in total.
It is better to have scs then allies, assuming something aproaching equal combat power in each

Your credibility with eliminated powers is irrelavant

Keep your allies happy enough that they stay allies

If you are receiving a message from me ignore this signature
pjkon

Class: Diplomat
All-game rating: (1000)
Timezone: GMT-5

Re: Modern Mechanics Recruiting (2/7)

Postby pjkon » 27 Feb 2019, 23:23

For those of you interested in the specifics of how the game will be run:

House Rules

Order Submission Schedule (Non-Standard)
I will run a three-season rotation for orders submission: Spring, Fall, and Winter, with two seasons executed per week and retreats handled ad-hoc. Assuming no delays, this works out to 3 weeks for every 2 game-years.

All seasonal orders (movement and builds) will be due on Mondays and Thursdays by 7:00 PM (19:00) New York Time, which is EDT (UTC-4) or EST (UTC-5), depending on the time of the year. I will try to send out reminders on the morning-of, but those are not guaranteed. If you live in a time-zone that makes this timing (particularly the reminders) inconvenient, please let me know ASAP, and we can work something out.

Reminders for seasonal orders are not guaranteed, and they may be less than 24 hours.

If everyone gets their orders in early, I can adjudicate much more promptly. However, I will not adjudicate movement or build turns earlier than the due date/time.

All retreat orders are due within 24 hours of the adjudication report. If you happen to miss a retreat order, I do not always automatically disband those units. See the section below on missed retreats.

Unlike seasonal orders, I will report retreats as soon as I receive all of them for a given turn.

Reminders for retreat orders will not be given.

Extensions
Each player may ask me for one extension per game for good reason, bad reason or no reason and it will be granted. Extensions beyond the first will only be granted for some good reason and not over the objections of other players. We all want the game's result to reflect in-game factors rather than IRL problems people run into, so I hope that others will not object to a good faith request for extension based on IRL factors. Requests for extension must be turned in either with, or in place of, orders before the deadline for the phase for which the extension is desired, or alternatively, sent to me before the season for which the extension is needed arrives.

All extensions will be for 24 hours. If for any reason more than one extension is granted on a single phase the deadline will be extended to the next Monday or Thursday, and all subsequent phases will be rescheduled for one Monday or Thursday later so that no phase is ever reduced in length by more than 1 day.

If you NMR on a move or build phase not in the first year I will use your extension automatically if you still have one, and refund it once you regain contact if you provide a reason for the NMR and no other player objects.

Players are strongly encouraged not to use their individual extensions frivolously or for strategic purposes since NMRs which can result from their lack disrupt the game.

Extensions may also be granted outside of the process outlined above by the request of two players at least 12 hours before the deadline and an agreement of a majority of players who voice their opinions on the matter before the deadline hits. These extensions will not be granted more than twice per phase (triggering the automatic delay language above) without unanimous consent of the players.

Assignment of Powers
For this playtest, I will be assigning powers randomly using random.org.

Adjudication Mistakes
If I make a mistake in adjudication, please point it out ASAP. The window to do this is until the next season’s orders are due.

This means that you can potentially spot an error from the Spring Movement adjudication after the Spring Retreats have been reported, but not once the Fall Movement has been reached.

All adjudication errors that are so detected will cause an immediate double-extension to be applied (to the phase in which the adjudication mistake was detected) and the shifting of future deadlines as mentioned above.

Missed Orders (NMR)
A player that does not submit seasonal orders to me by adjudication will receive an NMR (no moves received) for that phase (unless an extension is used and moves are received by the alternative deadline). If you NMR during a movement phase, all of your units will hold. If you NMR during a retreat or build phase, I will provide orders for you in the manners described below.

Missed Retreats
Unlike the standard Diplomacy policy of disbanding all missed retreats, if you miss providing retreat orders, I will retreat your dislodged units using the following priorities (from highest to lowest):

1. Retreat to a province with another player’s SC.
  2. Retreat to a province with player’s own SC.
  3. Retreat to a water space (fleets only).
  4. Retreat to an airspace (wings only)
  5. Retreat to a land/hybrid space with no SC.
If more than one possible retreat location has the same priority, I will use whichever region’s name comes first in alphabetical order.

I will give no consideration for whether some other retreating unit (even your own) can retreat to the same space. I will not however issue an illegal order to a retreating unit, such as into another unit or invalid space so long as any legal retreat exists. If no legal retreat exists I will disband the unit.

Missed Winter Orders
Similar to normal Diplomacy, if you miss submitting Build orders for a Winter turn, you will forfeit the relevant build(s) that turn. If you don’t submit the required number of Destroy orders, I will destroy units using the following priorities.

1. Destroy units that are not occupying an SC.
  2. Destroy units that are the furthest from your Home Supply Centers.
  3. Destroy Fleets before Wings, then Wings before Armies, then armies before missiles.
If units are still equal in priorities 1, 2, & 3, destroy units in alphabetical order, using their regions' names.

Repeated Missed Orders & Player Replacement

If you miss turning in two seasons in a row, or at least three seasons overall, I may replace you. Because retreats are intentionally handled over a shorter period of time, an NMR for a retreat phase is not considered as part of this count.

If you miss turning in seasonal orders during the first year of the game, I will pause the game and immediately replace you.

Mistakes and Missing Coastlines
If you make what appears to be a mistake in your orders, I may contact you to clarify. I may not notice in time however so please check your orders. Any mistakes not caught (or not corrected) by adjudication will stand.

That said, I will adjudicate all orders that I can even if they are not technically correct. I will use my own guess about the strategic situation as well as the map to try to guess about things like coastlines, but if you put in technically incorrect orders that are at all unclear they run the risk of being misinterpreted either as something legal or illegal.

Draws
Since this playtest has a semi-defined length (4 game years), no draws are allowed during that period. However, if the playtest continues after that, the game will be played until victory or draw. For a draw, the following rules apply.

Draws do not have to include all survivors, but approval must be unanimous (with all votes in approval or abstaining).

Draw proposals expire at the beginning of the following season (ignoring retreat phases).

Votes for draws must be PMed to me. If you want to make them public include the other players in the PM. Your last submitted vote controls whether private or public.
It is better to have scs then allies, assuming something aproaching equal combat power in each

pjkon

Postby pjkon » 27 Feb 2019, 23:24

Current Players(4(5)/7):
Wooglie
Antigonous
Aeschines
AFKD
Groo
ben8baseball
Backup GM:
NoPunIn10Did
Last edited by pjkon on 03 May 2019, 17:59, edited 6 times in total.

pjkon

Postby Woolgie » 28 Feb 2019, 20:07

And if you sign up for this (and I think you should) you should also consider signing up for Star Wars: Order 66 https://www.playdiplomacy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=253&t=59178
Jon Stark in Diplomacy of Ice and Fire III - Winter is coming
GMing my Star Wars variant
Still proud of my solo in Versailles Fog Chaos
Woolgie
Premium Member

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 1028
All-game rating: 926
Timezone: GMT

Postby Aeschines » 28 Feb 2019, 22:28

I'd try out these mechanics!
Platinum Member of the Classicists
Aeschines
Premium Member

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1424
All-game rating: 1607

Postby pjkon » 01 Mar 2019, 05:41

Aeschines wrote:I'd try out these mechanics!

Great! Please message me with power preferences if you have them.

pjkon

Re: Air and Nuclear Diplomacy Recruiting (3(4)/7)

Postby pjkon » 15 Mar 2019, 03:02

This is probably going to start around Mid-April for those of you who are curious about a start date.

pjkon

Return to PbF Game Recruitment