World Dip maps and stuff and things.

17-player variant on world map. Created by David Norman. Brought to site by Master Radishes & DRifteR.

World Dip maps and stuff and things.

Postby Master Radishes » 18 Jul 2013, 08:19

(I lied, there are no stuff or things in this post. I just said that to lure you in here.)

So it was brought to my attention that gremlins infiltrated the forum and stole a whole buncha images, including all the World Dip maps. That's fine by me, as it sort of helps to cover up my embarrassing and downright irresponsible departure from GMing one of those games. (Now just as long as I don't bring attention to it, no one will notice.,,) But apparently some people may still want those maps, so that future games can be played or whatever. Pfft. It's only THE ORIGINAL FORUM VARIANT GAME - who'd want to play that, amirite?

Anyhoo, I'm afraid all I could dig up were some .png files of the map, so if y'all want fancy things like layers, you'll have to do the work yourself. But here you go.

Note 1) I had been playing around with changing some of the territory names, particularly the sea zone names, as they were confusing as heck to keep straight. (All "Southwest Ocean" this and "Southeast Ocean" that.) These changes are reflected in the map. The names were never used in game play, but I'll just assume no one cares if they're there. I think it'll make running it easier for everyone, but if you want the original names, I do still have them. Just let me know.

Note 2) I also sort of "cleaned up" the map a bit, taking out a bunch of the tiny three-and-four-pixel islands that served no purpose except to make the map look vaguely realistic. I also moved a few SC dots to better locations, moved a few territory lines for clarity, etc. But this is all superficial stuff - nothing that affects game play. (I didn't touch Indonesia, though. Someone else can feel free to.)

Note 3) I've included a second map showing the unit placement at the start of the game. You could also just do the Winter 1900 Variant, which I believe we did try one time, but I personally like the original set-up, as it maintains some of the balance. Anyway, the aforementioned superficial changes are not shown in this version - it's just to show unit placement.

Cool? Cool. Radishes OUT!

*Mic drop*

World Dip v2.png
World Dip v2.png (133.35 KiB) Viewed 4066 times

World Dip start.png
World Dip start.png (140.81 KiB) Viewed 4066 times
Master Radishes
Premium Member

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1000)
All-game rating: (1071)
Timezone: GMT

Re: World Dip maps and stuff and things.

Postby jayahr » 18 Jul 2013, 09:11

I guess Tunis never bothered you.

When someone changed the playdip map to show Tunisia instead, so that EVERY home SC was named after a city, and EVERY other province (SC or not) was named for... a province, or country, or whatever - but not a city, I was so happy...

But here you are messing me about again. All I can say is...
... I'm all outa gum.
jayahr

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1052)
All-game rating: (1608)
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby dcaibal » 18 Jul 2013, 15:49

:o You lied to me! How could you?...

Anyways, pretty variant.
First Karma Contributor: Pez

Ottoman Emperor (Not Sultan)- HOTW
Immortal Advisor to the Royal Family of the Union of the Aresian Empire and the Great Patallian Princedom- CYOC
Marty McFly wrote:Wait Doc -you're telling you made a time machine... out of a DeLorean!?

CmndrMaggs wrote:Well f*ck.
x7
dcaibal

Location: I'm a frequent-time-traveler. So try and figure out the wibbly...
Standard rating: (949)
All-game rating: (886)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby rick.leeds » 21 Jul 2013, 17:41

Now look at that... I contacted MR a coupla days ago and he comes along and helps out like this! Brilliant! Thanks!
World Diplomacy Forum.
Online Resources editor at the Diplomatic Pouch.
Don't let the stepladder get you. Watch where you're stepping. ANY step could be a doozy.
rick.leeds

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (1158)
All-game rating: (1070)

Postby The Pez » 22 Jul 2013, 00:12

Master Radishes wrote:Cool? Cool. Radishes OUT!

*Mic drop*

NO

GET THE HELL BACK HERE YOU'RE NOT LEAVING THAT EASILY
The Pez

Standard rating: (972)
All-game rating: (974)

Postby Master Radishes » 23 Jul 2013, 06:42

"Brilliant" is my middle name, Rick. 8-) (Well, no, it isn't actually. But it does start with a "B.")

Hey pez, wassup! *Throws smoke bomb and disappears*
Master Radishes
Premium Member

Standard rating: (1000)
All-game rating: (1071)

Postby Pedros » 27 Jul 2013, 16:15

MR - good to see you, even briefly. And a big thanks for the map!

I'll move it across to the Archive.
"Sooner or later, one of us will stab the other. But for now we're both better off as allies" (kininvie)
Pedros

Location: Somewhere full of gorse and brambles, West Cornwall
Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1085)
All-game rating: (1314)

Return to World Diplomacy [Games1-5] {Maps Visible in Game 5}