Tournament: Determining the Best! GAME 7 FINALISTS POSTED

Open to all-comers. Qualifying round and final. TD: QueenOfHearts. Winner: Minneapolitan.

Re: Tournament: Determining the Best! GAME 7 FINALISTS POSTED

Postby Stander » 22 Jan 2011, 12:58

A more reasoned post:-

Firstly let me thank QoH for running this tornament.
It (I believe) was his first attempt at doing so and he hasn't done that bad a job.
There were a few issues, and he was often learning as he went on, but at the end of the day the games (eventually) got played.
He has hopefully picked up a few pointers along the way for next time.
And now we (rather just you lot now that I have resigned) have a final currently being played.

Me, I decided to take my first ever surrender on this site and resign from the game.
I went into the final as tournament leader and could have just played it safe, stayed under the radar, got part of a pants draw and won.
But I decided not to play pussy and go for it. The juggernaut was steaming away, and but for the Fall 02 NMR but Turkey (note, that's 1902) we would have been in ION and be sweeping through both Austria and Italy in very short order. I wanted to make a proper game of the final. That's what I do. Or at least try to.

Unfortunately, the NMR's competely threw the game to the western side of the board and all reasonable attempts to rectify this has come to nowt.
Real Life issues do affect games, so I am not going to be overly harsh on Turkey, but this tournament is supposed to be the Best of the Best.
It should have been played as such. If anyone's attitude to the final stinks, it is that of Germany.

If Germany goes on to win (quite probably now from the current position), I hope you savour what would be a sham victory.

Minor niggles aside leading up to the final, the tournament has been worthy of it's title.
The setting up and playing of the final, however, has more than proved that it isn't.
And those are the reasons why I quit whilst currently in the lead.

Sorry, QoH to bail right at the end and thanks again for running this.
I will be running the London Marathon on 22nd April 2012 to raise funds to help disabled children and in memory of my darling wife who sadly passed away in January 2012.

To find out more or to donate please visit:- http://www.justgiving.com/BigRunningFool
Stander
Elite Sponsor
Elite Sponsor

Location: Mainly running the streets of Essex, getting wet, cold and bloody miserable.
Class: Diplomat
All-game rating: (1000)
Timezone: GMT

Re: Tournament: Determining the Best! GAME 7 FINALISTS POSTED

Postby Stander » 25 Jan 2011, 17:14

Looks like the Tournament Organiser has disappeared.
I PM'ed QoH 5 days ago and the message is still unread.
I will be running the London Marathon on 22nd April 2012 to raise funds to help disabled children and in memory of my darling wife who sadly passed away in January 2012.

To find out more or to donate please visit:- http://www.justgiving.com/BigRunningFool
Stander
Elite Sponsor
Elite Sponsor

Location: Mainly running the streets of Essex, getting wet, cold and bloody miserable.

Re: Tournament: Determining the Best! GAME 7 FINALISTS POSTE

Postby rick.leeds » 02 Mar 2011, 18:02

I was asked to do this, so I have.

FINAL BOARD RESULT:
Minneapolitan (Germany) 17 SCs
lannes (Turkey) 7
SidneyKidney (Austria) 4
rick.leeds (France) 4
Stander (Russia) 2
schneidy (England) 0
Old Wolf (Italy) 0

So this means the Final Positions are:
1. Minneapolitan 104
2. Stander 71
3. SidneyKidney 67
4. lannes 60
5. rick.leeds 55
6. schneidy 49
7. Old Wolf 36

Congrats to Minneapolitan.

Thanks to QOH for setting the tournament up in the first place. And thanks for those who made the effort in the game.

My own feelings about the final game, however, I will keep to myself here.
World Diplomacy Forum.
Online Resources editor at the Diplomatic Pouch.
Don't let the stepladder get you. Watch where you're stepping. ANY step could be a doozy.
rick.leeds
Site Admin
Site Admin

Standard rating: (1158)
All-game rating: (1070)

Re: Tournament: Determining the Best! GAME 7 FINALISTS POSTE

Postby Stander » 03 Mar 2011, 01:57

I surrendered my one and only game in the final and still finished second overall.

Just highlights what a farce this tournament ended up being.

Shame - as it was a perfect tournament up until we got to the final.

Stander
Elite Sponsor
Elite Sponsor

Previous

Return to Best of the Best FIN