The World Wide Web (of Diplomacy)

General stuff.

Moderators: JonS, Buachaille, Fatmo

Re: The World Wide Web (of Diplomacy)

Postby The O » 22 May 2011, 21:22

DoubleD wrote:I wonder if I should use my invisibility for good or evil...

To be on topic I completely and wholly support this movement, I believe expanding the range of players that WebDip has will lead to a more excitable and profitable site, thus being mutually beneficial for all parties involved (apart from super_dipsy of course).

Does that mean that you just want to leach good PlayDip players for profit on WebDip? I know that's not raphtown's intent.
The O

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (953)
All-game rating: (885)
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby super_dipsy » 23 May 2011, 17:43

DoubleD wrote: I believe expanding the range of players that WebDip has will lead to a more excitable and profitable site

Hm. Why would we have an interest in expanding the range of players WebDip has? Why do you feel it would be best to host this on WebDip and not PlayDip? I am honestly interested.
super_dipsy
Premium Member

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 1000
All-game rating: 941
Timezone: GMT

Postby Mali Belizec » 23 May 2011, 22:33

The best would be to play half of the games here and half there. Like in football :)
‘Beware of the man of one book’

Bronze member of The Classicists.
Mali Belizec

Standard rating: (1055)
All-game rating: (1056)
Timezone: GMT+1

Postby raphtown » 23 May 2011, 23:03

Sorry, been busy recently, should have more time tonight.

Anyhow, I realized that where the games were to be hosted would be a problem from the get-go, though I do not think that DoubleD meant that this move would be solely at WebDip's gain (I think he was talking about PlayDip when he said 'more excitable and profitable'?).

Let me just make clear that this is not a mechanism by which one site would poach another site's players, nor do I want it to be that. The point of opening a branch on a different site is so that the Classicists can expand their reach and also increase the pool of available players. My thought was that, at least at first, we would have site-based games and inter-site games. The site-based games would of course occur on their respective site, but determining the location of the inter-site games is a bit trickier.

See, my initial thought was that we should keep a reasonable balance between the inter-site games hosted here and on other websites. Otherwise, it could be seen as a partisan attempt to steal users from another site, which is definitely not what I want. Yet we would have to be very clear that we expect respect from all Classicists to be sure that the WebDip crowd and others understand that the rules are different in our games than on the rest of their site.

If they don't like the idea, or turn out to be unable to comply to our guidelines, we can just as easily pull out, call it a failed experiment, and remain only on PlayDip. At this point I think that to make any progress we have to try out the idea and see how it goes.
The Classicists are a group dedicated to reducing player NMRs.
raphtown

Class: Diplomat
All-game rating: (1000)
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby DoubleD » 25 May 2011, 08:46

raphtown wrote:Sorry, been busy recently, should have more time tonight.

Anyhow, I realized that where the games were to be hosted would be a problem from the get-go, though I do not think that DoubleD meant that this move would be solely at WebDip's gain (I think he was talking about PlayDip when he said 'more excitable and profitable'?)...

I most certainly did. Thank you for clearing that up raphtown.

EDIT: To further clarify things, I had NO idea there was a site called webdip.com and for some reason felt the two terms ''play'' and ''web'' were interchangeable, somewhere deep in my silly subconscious. Sorry for the misunderstandings guys.
DoubleD

All-game rating: 3238
Timezone: GMT+3

Postby mariscal » 21 Jun 2011, 06:04

generally i support the idea. but just dipsy' s experience is not the only one, webdip has all kind of people, and beware to bring the virus over to playdip. there it is usual to have multiaccounts, no control, the language is different, you leave a game, its normal nmrs. the people seem to expect it. i have few games there, but all have people missing. not just the spirit of our group. but lets have a try, anyway, i think a serious player even from webdip will be already in our group.
mariscal

Standard rating: (1174)
All-game rating: (1285)
Timezone: GMT-4

Postby raphtown » 25 Jun 2011, 07:54

mariscal wrote:generally i support the idea. but just dipsy' s experience is not the only one, webdip has all kind of people, and beware to bring the virus over to playdip. there it is usual to have multiaccounts, no control, the language is different, you leave a game, its normal nmrs. the people seem to expect it. i have few games there, but all have people missing. not just the spirit of our group. but lets have a try, anyway, i think a serious player even from webdip will be already in our group.

The point is that there would be controls within the Classicist group, even on their site. And they wouldn't have to come over to playdip, except for inter-site games. And those that would come over from WedDip (or from our side would go over there) for these games would be already proven Classicists. I will probably suggest the idea on WebDip shortly, see what their reaction is, but I will definitely proceed slowly so to not endanger what we already have. Start small, see how it goes, and build from there.
raphtown

Postby raphtown » 25 Jun 2011, 08:49

The deed is done :)

I have linked to this subforum on WebDip so we might be getting some traffic. Also, if any of you happen to be on WebDip, any help you could provide in moving this forward would be appreciated. No need to spam them though!
raphtown

Postby Mali Belizec » 29 Jun 2011, 22:19

mariscal wrote:generally i support the idea. but just dipsy' s experience is not the only one, webdip has all kind of people, and beware to bring the virus over to playdip. there it is usual to have multiaccounts, no control, the language is different, you leave a game, its normal nmrs. the people seem to expect it. i have few games there, but all have people missing. not just the spirit of our group. but lets have a try, anyway, i think a serious player even from webdip will be already in our group.

I played against guy called mariscal on vdiplomacy...is there any chance that you and him are the same person?
‘Beware of the man of one book’

Bronze member of The Classicists.
Mali Belizec

Standard rating: (1055)
All-game rating: (1056)
Timezone: GMT+1

Previous

Return to Miscellaneous