The World Wide Web (of Diplomacy)

General stuff.

Moderators: JonS, Buachaille, Fatmo

The World Wide Web (of Diplomacy)

Postby raphtown » 21 May 2011, 09:09

So I am always on the lookout for cool ways to improve things, and this site is no exception. :)

That drive was what led me to found the Classicists a little over 11 months ago, and I consider it a success. And now I think I have an idea of how to build upon this success and wanted to present it to the PlayDip community.

I have recently become aware of the existence of other diplomacy sites, and I have been investigating them for a little while. Though most of them are small compared to PlayDip, a couple stuck out as having decent players. I have never been one for factionalism, and though I do consider PlayDip my home base, I felt it was a shame that we had these different pools of diplomacy players that had almost no interaction with one another.

To cut to the chase, I am thinking of is opening a Classicist branch on at least a couple of these sites. The idea would be that Classicist games would transcend websites and give members access to a much larger pool of players. It would also allow for more cross-site traffic as well and lead to a more open and diverse online diplomacy community.

Of course, the details still have to be worked out, and I have yet to propose anything on any of these other websites. I was more or less hoping for some feedback from the PlayDip community before going any further and would be very interested in hearing your comments.
The Classicists are a group dedicated to reducing player NMRs.
raphtown

Class: Diplomat
All-game rating: (1000)
Timezone: GMT-8

Re: The World Wide Web (of Diplomacy)

Postby sock » 21 May 2011, 15:52

great idea
Live a little. Laugh a lot.

Gold member, Classicists
sock

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1149)
All-game rating: (1212)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby super_dipsy » 21 May 2011, 18:07

While I am in the Classicists club on this site, if you are involving people on the WebDip site specifically then I will politely decline. I played some games there, and they have a completely diifferent idea of what is acceptable behaviour than we have on this site. Personally, I would not want to be exposed to such people again. It was not a pleasant experience.
super_dipsy
Premium Member

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1000)
All-game rating: (941)
Timezone: GMT

Postby The O » 21 May 2011, 18:20

This is a little off-subject but a few years back there was an idea to have a tourney involving all of the various Dip sites out there. It was tossed around that each site would chose players to represent their site and battle it out.
I know this is not what you are talking about, but I thought it was a fun idea at any rate.
OK...back on topic.
The O

Standard rating: (953)
All-game rating: (885)
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby DoubleD » 21 May 2011, 18:25

super_dipsy wrote:While I am in the Classicists club on this site, if you are involving people on the WebDip site specifically then I will politely decline. I played some games there, and they have a completely diifferent idea of what is acceptable behaviour than we have on this site. Personally, I would not want to be exposed to such people again. It was not a pleasant experience.

Can you please expand on the behaviour that the players on the other sites partook in that you believed to be unacceptable? I'm interested.
DoubleD

All-game rating: 3238
Timezone: GMT+3

Postby Mali Belizec » 21 May 2011, 19:11

I play on webdip too and I can say that there are many very good players there. I dont agree that players play different there or that they have different mentality. Both sites have great players and it would be great to have some interaction. Great idea Raphtown. We are all people, and we all like diplomacy game so lets play and enjoy ourselves :)

P.S. I guess I will never play with super_dipsy now when he know I play on webdip too :(
‘Beware of the man of one book’

Bronze member of The Classicists.
Mali Belizec

Standard rating: (1055)
All-game rating: (1056)
Timezone: GMT+1

Postby raphtown » 21 May 2011, 20:35

Well it looks like on the whole there is a positive reaction to this idea. And yes, I think webdiplomacy was the website I was primarily considering. The others either are much less active or are harder to investigate (no forum, different language, non-obvious interface...) though they too might become of interest eventually.

However, I have heard of concerns such as super_dipsy's before, and I feel they must be addressed.

super_dipsy wrote:While I am in the Classicists club on this site, if you are involving people on the WebDip site specifically then I will politely decline. I played some games there, and they have a completely diifferent idea of what is acceptable behaviour than we have on this site. Personally, I would not want to be exposed to such people again. It was not a pleasant experience.

I would be interested in knowing of the specifics of the negative experience you had, super_dipsy, and if there is a way to work around the problems that caused it.

For my part, I have played a couple of games on webdiplomacy at this point, but they are of the live gunboat sort. One player did engage in some bad behavior in one of these games, but the rest of the community was quick to call him out on it in a more or less civil manner. Also, I have made a couple of posts on their forums and read some of the other threads there and it seems that ~for the most part~ the players are respectful. If anyone else has played over there I would appreciate hearing their thoughts as well.

Anyhow, if the problem is what I think it is, and that is that some players see personal abuse as a legitimate tactic inside and outside of the game, I think that we can deal with it. We would just have to make very clear that respect is a core Classicist value and that if you don't plan on being respectful you should not join. Then, if bad-mouthing does occur we would be fully justified in kicking out the culprits.

As a secondary precaution, I might also consider having site-based games and inter-site games running at the Classicists. This would allow us to try out playing with other websites while also making sure we aren't betting everything on things going smoothly between us and webdip.
The Classicists are a group dedicated to reducing player NMRs.
raphtown

Timezone: GMT-8

Postby super_dipsy » 22 May 2011, 07:52

Unknown Archont wrote:P.S. I guess I will never play with super_dipsy now when he know I play on webdip too

Have no fear on that score - if we are playing on this site I would not have a problem. And as for Raphtown's idea, provided the activities all take place on the PlayDip site I do not have a problem.
raphtown wrote:I would be interested in knowing of the specifics of the negative experience you had, super_dipsy, and if there is a way to work around the problems that caused it.

Fair question - I probably should not have spoken up. This is a purely personal view, and one that could be resolved easily as I say above by insisting that all activities (Play, Discussions, Forum stuff) occur on PlayDip (or more specifically not on WebDip).

My problem should become clear if you spend a few minutes looking though the Forum there. I realize that we all have different ideas of what is acceptable, and maybe I am too intolerant on some things. But I am not comfortable playing on an uncontrolled site where personal abuse, racism, anti-semitism, bullying and extreme bad langauage are common and uninhibited. I had a number of run-ins with the authorities on this subject, but the clear statement from the founder is that the site is based on complete freedom of speech (taking this noble idea to the extreme). That is, anyone may say anything they wish about anyone else they wish in any way they wish with no restrictions (and they do).

As I said, I acknowledge this is a purely personal issue. As far as Dip goes, I realize that WITHIN a game you may choose to use many different tactics, even on this site. That is why we police the in-game chat a lot less, and let most things go. Bullying, for example, is perfectly acceptable in-game - I am sure we have all ganged up on another country at one time or another, or threatened another player that we will attack if they do not do exactly what we want! However I have a personal distaste for 'chain-saw diplomacy' as it is sometimes called, where you try to make other players feel so personally uncomfortable that they surrender and walk away, but up to a point we try to let in-game discussions run free. We would only get involved if the abuse were really serious. But once these things cross into the public forum then as you all know the Mods and Admins on this site do actually draw the line to stop personal character assassinations and abuse. We want people to feel comfortable here.

So the problem would go away for me if the tourneys and discussions and AARs and everything happened on PlayDip. Anyone from another site who started going beyond our boundaries would be reminded that we do things differently here. As far as players go, I agree there are strong players there, I have no problem with that. And yes, I know this is my problem really. I guess I am too thin-skinned. I know I should just let it all wash over me, and I would be prepared to do so if the abuse is directed at myself, but I cannot stand by and watch some other innocent person getting destroyed by a bunch of bully-boys.

However, I think this is a great idea and I think you should take it further. I certainly do not want to stand in the way, or have my stupid personal sensitivities cause a problem for you in this endeavour. I will drop this subject now, and wish you success. Good luck!
super_dipsy
Premium Member

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1000)
All-game rating: (941)
Timezone: GMT

Postby DoubleD » 22 May 2011, 17:39

I wonder if I should use my invisibility for good or evil...

To be on topic I completely and wholly support this movement, I believe expanding the range of players that WebDip has will lead to a more excitable and profitable site, thus being mutually beneficial for all parties involved (apart from super_dipsy of course).
DoubleD

All-game rating: 3238
Timezone: GMT+3

Postby girolamo » 22 May 2011, 18:05

More Classicists = more quality games, therefore I absolutely second raphtown's idea.
"They want you dead or in their lie. Only one thing a man can do. Find something that's his. Make an island for himself."
(from "The thin red line", by Terrence Malick)
girolamo

Timezone: GMT+1

Next

Return to Miscellaneous