Promoting the group

General stuff.

Moderators: Buachaille, JonS, Fatmo

Re: Promoting the group

Postby BrunoVon » 11 Oct 2010, 01:06

To help those decide whether or not to join you may wish to define what an NMR is, for those that don't know.
BrunoVon

Class: Diplomat
All-game rating: (1000)
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby Sheddy » 11 Oct 2010, 12:19

BrunoVon wrote:To help those decide whether or not to join you may wish to define what an NMR is, for those that don't know.

NMR stands for "No Moves Received", i.e. when a player enters no orders in a phase. Some argue that it should actually be called NOR for "No Orders Received" as the phrase is also used when no order is received for retreat and build phases. In the context of the game an NMR by a player is considered as the country having gone into Civil Disorder with no government or military with the authority to issue orders to its units at home and abroad.

The effect on the game of an NMR by a player is as follows:
Orders phase - all units are issued with default HOLD orders (so they can be supported to hold by other active players' units);
Retreat phase - any units dislodged and forced to retreat are destroyed;
Build phase - builds are missed, but if destroys are required the computer judge uses an algorithm to determine which (fleets before armies and starting with the units furthest form home SCs I think).

It is also possible for a player actively to order a HOLD for all of his units. This may be to give the false appearance of an NMR for some perceived strategic advantage. Or it may just be because it's actually what he wants his units to do, usually when he has only one or two units.
Nation shall speak peace unto nation
- at least until spring 1901 orders are opened.

Do you dislike games spoiled by surrenders and missed orders? If so, please consider adding your name to the database of reliable players at The Classicists
Sheddy

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1043)
All-game rating: (1051)
Timezone: GMT

Postby WarSmith » 16 Jan 2011, 18:25

Not sure if the 'bug' was ever fixed - but I am sure that a goodly portion of NMRs amongst regular players are down to not being able to enter orders - e.g. a build order that can't be completed because the SC is occupied - or too many builds ;) - this use dto be the reason that no-one could get above 99% or thereabouts.
"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth even has a chance to put its pants on”
WarSmith
Premium Member

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 1725
All-game rating: 1712
Timezone: GMT+2

Postby Mapmaker » 16 Jan 2011, 19:09

I'm assuming it doesn't count as an NMR if you purposefully hold all your units, something that I've done in the past when the biggest power surrenders and we can't find a sub immediately.
Bronze member of The Classicists.

We are not the lost nomads, we are the makers of maps.
Mapmaker

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (1009)
All-game rating: (966)
Timezone: GMT

Postby WarSmith » 17 Jan 2011, 01:50

As long as you file the order to hold then its all good - if you just ignore the orders and just let them process as holds then it will be a NMR...
"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth even has a chance to put its pants on”
WarSmith
Premium Member

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 1725
All-game rating: 1712
Timezone: GMT+2

Previous

Return to Miscellaneous