Promoting the group

General stuff.

Moderators: JonS, Buachaille, Fatmo

Promoting the group

Postby Sheddy » 10 Aug 2010, 02:32

Ok. It seems like things have settled down a bit now. There are still a few forum regulars who are suspicious or critical of the whole concept this group. But none of us have any problem with that. Nobody is obliged to join and everyone is entitled to his or her opinion. Debate and constructive criticism are healthy.

On the other hand, we have gained one new member every day for the last week. Welcome to you all! And members of The Classicists would presumably like the membership of the group to grow. We all want to know which other reliable players are out there so that we can join games with them.

So ... can I suggest that members should now consider actively promoting the group? (If you aren't already.) I think the place to do this is not in the forums but via in-game messages and shoutboxes. And it doesn't need to be done too forcefully. There's no need to post "Join The Classicists!" in the shoutbox as soon as a game starts. But a targetted promotion of the group could find some new members who otherwise might not read the fourms.

The most logical opportunity to promote the group that I can think of is that if you are in a game which is screwed up by a series of NMRs or a surrender and then one of the other players comments to you that this is a real shame or that it has wrecked his plans (if it is his ally who has gone AWOL), you could reply by pointing him in the direction of The Classicists subforum and suggesting that he consider joining if he is in search of a better gaming experience.

Do you agree? Any other suggestions?
Nation shall speak peace unto nation
- at least until spring 1901 orders are opened.

Do you dislike games spoiled by surrenders and missed orders? If so, please consider adding your name to the database of reliable players at The Classicists
Sheddy

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1047
All-game rating: 1044
Timezone: GMT

Re: Promoting the group

Postby Dbmbdrmmr77 » 10 Aug 2010, 02:57

I agree, this is a great idea. However, everyone should hesitate to over-promote to the point where it just grates on other people's ears. It's not a club, or a clique, it's merely a resource to help find more reliable games. It should be promoted as such.
Call me Dbm

Silver member of The Classicists.

I am THE loudest and proudest member of the Fightin' Texas Aggie Class of 2013!
Dbmbdrmmr77

Class: Diplomat
All-game rating: (1000)
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby Zebb » 10 Aug 2010, 03:02

I'd say just including a brief description of the Classicists' mission statement in the game description for any of our games should suffice. Or just a "Want to learn more about the Classicists? See the forums for details!"
Zebb

Timezone: GMT-5

Postby raphtown » 10 Aug 2010, 20:15

This sounds like a good idea. Of course, we have to be wary not to overpromote the group. We just want to make sure those who haven't heard of it yet do eventually. Just one line when the situation is appropriate. If people are interested they can inquire themselves.
The Classicists are a group dedicated to reducing player NMRs.
raphtown

Timezone: GMT-8

Postby raphtown » 10 Aug 2010, 21:06

And perhaps for those on the forum that don't know about it, we could include something in our signatures? Like "Silver member of Classicists" with a link to the group's subforum?
raphtown

Postby Andrew D » 10 Aug 2010, 21:09

raphtown wrote:And perhaps for those on the forum that don't know about it, we could include something in our signatures? Like "Silver member of Classicists" with a link to the group's subforum?

I prefer this idea which promotes it iff the person chooses to investigate, rather than promotion which is forced upon people.
On a 1 Year Hiatus from Diplomacy and Mafia.
Andrew D

Postby AndyCooke » 10 Aug 2010, 21:32

Sheddy wrote:
The most logical opportunity to promote the group that I can think of is that if you are in a game which is screwed up by a series of NMRs or a surrender and then one of the other players comments to you that this is a real shame or that it has wrecked his plans (if it is his ally who has gone AWOL), you could reply by pointing him in the direction of The Classicists subforum and suggesting that he consider joining if he is in search of a better gaming experience.

Do you agree? Any other suggestions?

I agree. In fact, this is what just happened in a game with me. PB#7 is in its closing stages, and in an in-game message, HurstLlama (Germany) lamented the early abandonment and surrender by Russia. I menyioned that this group had been set up. Within 2 hours, he was a member. I didn't even need to suggest that he join - knowledge of the group's existence was all that it took.
http://xkcd.com/552/

Silver member of the Classicists
AndyCooke

Postby durmin12 » 20 Aug 2010, 02:28

OK, I'm an idiot. I can't get the url to show up in my signature. I'm highlighting the words "The Classicists" and clicking URL button, but it just shows the entire address. What am I doing wrong?
Bronze member of The Classicists.
durmin12

Postby raphtown » 20 Aug 2010, 02:29

Code: Select all
Bronze member of [url=http://www.playdiplomacy.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=118][i]The Classicists[/i][/url].
raphtown

Postby durmin12 » 20 Aug 2010, 03:21

Thanks raph! Just for that, I will decrease your karma!
Bronze member of The Classicists.
durmin12

Next

Return to Miscellaneous