WD3 AAR's

GMs: DOI, Master Radishes, Waterice Man. 4-way draw - shockj (Colombia), AlphaTangoEcho (Europe), Steppenwulf (Lybia), Dar Krum (USA)

Re: WD3 AAR's

Postby shockj » 11 Mar 2010, 23:00

Very interesting, DK. Your AARs are some of my favorites. You get my Hall of Fame vote ;)

I wish I had taken more notes in the moment like you did. Good lesson to learn for next time. I actually THOUGHT about it, but presumed I would remember. Delays and strategic grinds without much Diplomacy later, it's pretty faded in my mind. A shame indeed.
Slay classy.

Washington wrote:Shockj has been known to go rouge on occasion
shockj

Class: Ambassador
All-game rating: (1000)
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby Dar Krum » 15 Mar 2010, 16:33

Those italicized words were the only thoughts that I sent to MR. For whatever reason I stopped doing it. Aargh. I found them kind of interesting too.

I will post more soon. Sorry, birthday weekend and a very busy few days at school.
Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been,...If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods,...will have lived a noble life and live on in the memories of your loved ones. - Marcus Aurelius
Dar Krum

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1164)
All-game rating: (1115)
Timezone: GMT-4

Postby raphtown » 20 Mar 2010, 21:07

Australia's AAR: The failed 5th wheel

Early on:

3-way alliance: South Africa - Antarctica - Australia
Try to be friendly with everyone

Then...

Argh! Asian Triple! Try to set up some sort of mega alliance that fails very quickly.

I bounce around with India and China, we don't make much progress

After...

PR stabs China + India -> I am happy! China starts letting me in, concedes some centers to me in exchange for help against PR. Libya starts growing very big -> Nervous about how my 2 allies are going to deal with that.

Later...

Making good progress against PR, but then China is replaced -> bad, bad, bad, its going to be my downfall. I try to keep going on the same course as if nothing had changed -> bad idea.

Also, Columbia + USA are very big, successfully get them to keep their fleets at bay in the Pacific. As long as I am making gains in Russia, I will be able to have mucho fleets around to discourage stabs.

Unfortunately...

China stabs me. Not good. At all. Very bad. I am not happy. I can kill China but I know that Columbia will be all over me in a second. Maybe not USA since he still needs me + has no-one in Pacific. But I don't think he will help me vs. Columbia.

As predicted...

I kill China. That consoles me for the fact that Columbia is now in my base. USA still says nice things but I know its only a matter of time.

After a bit of sobbing (not really, but you guys are evil)...

I'm basically dead. At least I've achieved my grand objective of killing the Asian Triple. My new goal becomes: survival and WORLD TOUR.

Some messages...

What remains of PR joins my surviving army/fleet in Asia to form NRC in ex-China's land (TAKE THAT CHINA). I also go along for world tour.

Buut...

GM disappears. Game slows down. World Tour stalls 2/3 of the way through. We are stuck in our homeland @ NRC. Columbia, out of sheer evilness (or boredom) stabs me. Bye bye world tour. NRC still there but no real interest. Game is set. Accept draw not including me. At least I am 5th most powerful nation left on board.

Finally...

I realize I forgot to write an AAR. I write one. I survived! No luck with draw though. Other people were evil.
The Classicists are a group dedicated to reducing player NMRs.
raphtown

Class: Diplomat
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby Steppenwulf » 01 Apr 2010, 07:40

Sorry for being so late with this AAR. I'll do the best I can, but this will just be a high level AAR - I won't go through my messages as I am real busy these days. But I am tired of coding tonight, so...

Winter 1907 - I took over Libya from Thungbard

Libya was in a great position already, with the majority of Africa under it's control. I was only unhappy that Libya had so few fleets.

First thing was to finish off Africa. I inherited the friendship with Europe (AlphaTangoEcho) which I kept all game, despite that I spent about half of the game wanting to stab him :mrgreen: . There were some significant encroachments in the south by South Africa (the nerve!) and Antarctica.

I also inherited the enmity with Antarctica, which I wasn't able to reverse. I also tried to get Australia on my side, but he would never budge, and never gave up his alliance with Antarctica. God, all you "good" people are too boring <just kidding> :lol:

It was clear that my biggest threat would come from the sea, and I would need a partner in the Indian and Antarctic Oceans, at least until I built up my own fleets. Since neither Antarctica nor Australia would work with me, I ended up with South Africa, who was a bit weak, though, with Columbia at this back.

I also acceded to Ghana (Ray the Ruler)'s request, and keep them alive by convoying them over to the Middle East and out of Africa. They stayed alive until we had a communications failure and they didn't make a required move to an SC some years later.

Meanwhile I spoke to USA(Dar Krum) and Colombia(shockJ) now and throughout the game. They spend the game trying to convince me to stab first PacRus, then Europe. I try to convince them to stab each other, and also to stab Australia and Antarctica. We each succeed in getting each other to stab all but our closest allies.

I also spoke to China, and I agreed to support him against Australia and Pac Russia. We talked a number of times, but weren't really close enough to co-ordinate well until he was pretty much gone.

At first things work out ok. South Africa and I move Antarctica back, while Europe rounds the Cape of Good Hope, and is in position around the Indian Ocean.

Then at the critical point there is an almost total breakdown of communication. South Africa NMRs twice, and Europe doesn't respond to my messages, and ends up losing his units in the Indian Ocean. Europe's slow responses and lack of responses makes me emotionally ready to stab him - I just don't respond well to poor communication :x

Meanwhile with South Africa's 2nd NMR, I take him out with Colombia. I now definitely don't have a partner in the Indian and Antarctic Oceans, so I can see I will have trouble with Colombia or Antarctic-Australia, whoever wins that Ocean fight. My money is on Colombia, so I try to ally with Australia, but still no luck as he won't stab Antarctica.

Colombia on the other hand has no such worries, and stabs each of the other southern navies, one at a time.

I decide that the safest move I have is to stab Pac Russia. It will bring me temporarily into an alliance with Colombia/USA, which seems like the prudent course since Australia won't talk. Also, I can see that I will gain most of Pac Russia's central/southern Asian provinces. I convince Europe to join me in the stab - he is becoming extremely passive in the game, because he believes he has a stalemate line. He may have been right - I never analyzed it thoroughly enough - but in any case I consider defending and playing for a stalemate line boring :roll: Not why I play Diplomacy. So I decide to stab Europe once Pac Russia is done, and aim at a 3-way with USA and Colombia.

Then, Colombia parks his fleets on my borders. Although we talk a lot, he considers this a positional advantage which he won't give up. He doesn't relate to my idea that this breaks a DMZ between two potential allies. Meanwhile, it is very hard for me to convince Europe to take action against these fleets which are also against his coastal territories. With no fleets on the Atlantic, I can only try to convince someone to take action. Colombia's action forces me to change my plans, and I decide to keep the alliance with Europe - if I can't convince Colombia to stay away from my coasts, he can't be trusted as an ally.

The rest of the game continues, with the collapse of Antarctica, Pac Russia, China, and Australia. Colombia continues to be too aggressive for me to ally with, so I am forced to stay in the alliance with Europe. Finally, with only 4 major powers left, a 4-way looks inevitable.

Players:

ShockJ - Colombia - you played an excellent game, and could well have had a solo if we played long enough. Your aggressive actions in the Atlantic actually worked against you, though, I think. If you had backed away when I asked, I would have stabbed Europe, and the game could have been a 3-way, or you and USA could possibly have won (I knew it was risky for me to stab, but it would have been FUN :lol:

Dar Krum - USA - We had good conversations, but didn't interact a great deal except toward the end.

AlphaTangoEcho - Europe - You calculated moves very deeply and looked into stalemate lines where I was just trying to figure where to go next. But you had already gotten into a passive mood shortly after I joined the game, and were just playing defensively. I would have stabbed you just for fun, to see you get all excited again :mrgreen:

raphtown - Australia - You played a very strong Australia - Australia doesn't usually get to expand like you did. It's too bad I couldn't convince you to work with me, as I think we could have taken on Colombia - it would have been a fun fight. Leaving your back open to shockJ is never a good idea, however.

Jus - Antarctica - We were enemies from when I joined. You played excellent tactics, and we would have been drawn in the waters, if Colombia hadn't stepped in.

DOI - China - Nice stab of Australia. Unfortunately you were surrounded by enemies, and we could never co-ordinate in time.

AK47 - Pac Russia - We hardly talked, which is unusual in a game in which we both play. Sorry, the stab on you was vicious, and I think I had a big hand in making it happen :twisted:

RaytheRuler - Ghana - it was fun letting you survive and tramp around the mideast
"The best weapon against an enemy is another enemy"
Friedrich Nietzsche
Steppenwulf

Standard rating: (1021)
All-game rating: (1023)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby shockj » 04 Apr 2010, 10:49

Interesting opinion, Steppenwulf. My decision was very hard because the one time I tried vacating water provinces to you, you immediately overtok them and cost me a year of painstaking tactics to regain them. I felt confident in my ability to eventually suffocate you if I had enough time to do so, but I do see why you would feel the way you did. But from my perspective all your talk of stabbing seemed like lip service since you never made any moves or even put yourself in position to make any real moves of a stab, so I thought it was all a smoke screen to get me to back off and bide you more time. I knew I had the advantage and I had succeeded by staying aggressive and using my Fleets to put pressure on my opponents. It seemed silly to abandon that strategy that had worked for me all game in favor of lip service.

Maybe if you had presented me with a set of moves that I would take in exchange for moves you would take it would have felt a bit more tangible to me. Clearly my strategy didn't work with you, so I was wrong on one level, but hindsight is always 20/20. It was a game for the ages, I'll tell you what. Thanks again everyone.
Slay classy.

Washington wrote:Shockj has been known to go rouge on occasion
shockj

Class: Ambassador
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby Steppenwulf » 04 Apr 2010, 18:38

ShockJ - your strategy was tactically excellent - I don't mean to disparage that in any way. You did great, and I think you are right - in the long run you could have suffocated me with your control of the oceans. That doesn't say that you could get past a stalemate line that I could build with my armies, but you could push me down.

It's just that by taking the ideal position tactically, you made me less and less likely to stab Europe, which was your strategic goal. I absolutely intended to take any Ocean areas that you left open - that was the point. But you also knew, I think, that I followed through on my promises to stab - I stabbed PR, who was previously sort of an ally, right?

Anyway, you couldn't know my thoughts, so you didn't know if I was telling the truth that I was going to stab Europe - so I can see your dilemma. But in the end, my stabbing Europe was your strategic goal, so giving me what I wanted and seeing if I followed through might have been clever strategy. If I stabbed, you would achieve your aim of a 2-way or 3-way. If I didn't, it was pretty unlikely that I could dominate the seas, with your fleet preponderance.
Friedrich Nietzsche
Steppenwulf

Postby AlphaTangoEcho » 04 Apr 2010, 19:08

If you were wondering why I was so complacent to take that draw, it was because I had been playing the game for about 6 months longer than you.

I was really getting tired of the game.
(former) Moderator of Mafia

And she had to apologize at once for her voice, which was a very unfair voice for a woman to use. Her voice was a warm, luminous, timeless melody.
AlphaTangoEcho

Postby Steppenwulf » 05 Apr 2010, 18:08

AlphaTangoEcho wrote:If you were wondering why I was so complacent to take that draw, it was because I had been playing the game for about 6 months longer than you.

Understood. But there is nothing like getting stabbed by an ally to get that fire lit again ;) I wanted to do you a favour :mrgreen:
Friedrich Nietzsche
Steppenwulf

Postby AlphaTangoEcho » 05 Apr 2010, 18:18

Steppenwulf wrote:
AlphaTangoEcho wrote:If you were wondering why I was so complacent to take that draw, it was because I had been playing the game for about 6 months longer than you.

Understood. But there is nothing like getting stabbed by an ally to get that fire lit again ;) I wanted to do you a favour :mrgreen:

fire hurts. it burns.

blegh.
(former) Moderator of Mafia

And she had to apologize at once for her voice, which was a very unfair voice for a woman to use. Her voice was a warm, luminous, timeless melody.
AlphaTangoEcho

Postby mat.gopack » 15 May 2010, 03:36

RIP World Diplomacy :(
.·ï¨Ï¨Ï¨ï·.mat.gopack.·ï¨Ï¨Ï¨ï·.
Mattopia of the Mattibean Union in CYOC. You should join ;)

"Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake"

Spreadsheets are fun!
mat.gopack

Standard rating: (929)
All-game rating: (929)

PreviousNext

Return to Game 3