WD3 AAR's

GMs: DOI, Master Radishes, Waterice Man. 4-way draw - shockj (Colombia), AlphaTangoEcho (Europe), Steppenwulf (Lybia), Dar Krum (USA)

WD3 AAR's

Postby AlphaTangoEcho » 10 Mar 2010, 00:01

WD3 1917 Spring.png
The final map
WD3 1917 Spring.png (94.64 KiB) Viewed 2725 times

Winners: Colombia (Grumpy/Shockj); Europe (AlphaTangoEcho); Lybia (Thungbard/Steppenwulf/Superplayer [for one retreat!]); United States (Dar Krum)

Survivors: New Republic of China (Raphtown and Ak47)

Please post AARs below!
Last edited by AlphaTangoEcho on 10 Mar 2010, 00:12, edited 1 time in total.
(former) Moderator of Mafia

And she had to apologize at once for her voice, which was a very unfair voice for a woman to use. Her voice was a warm, luminous, timeless melody.
AlphaTangoEcho

Class: Diplomat
All-game rating: (1000)
Timezone: GMT-5

Re: WD3 AAR's

Postby AlphaTangoEcho » 10 Mar 2010, 00:01

AAR: Europe

When I first assigned Europe in this game, both MR and Sroca pointed out to me how Europe historically was the worst country on the board, never have lasted past 1905. I thought that I was up for a serious challenge.

Pregame
1. I first made contact with Russia, my neighbor, and we agreed to work together and have a DMZ, we also agree to let me take Sca
2. Thungbard (lybia) and I made contact, and I also agreed to an alliance with him.
3. I didn't promise too much to any one else I made contact with

The spring moves go through. I talk to Pac Russia and Middle East, and I find out that everyone is attacking Russia. Realizing that it was unlikely that Russia would be able to hold out, I immediately break the DMZ and attempt to take StP, but am bounced out.

In the first moves, I decided to move Bis to the NEAO, with in range of Morocco, which Libya had told Ghana that he could take. However, I was going to try for it, and Lybia told me to bounce him out of Morocco, as he was lying to Ghana.
I then got a message from Ghana, and we exchanged messages about Morocco, and whether or not I would let him have it. I was not impressed to say the least about his arguments, and I really found it funny when he ironically proclaimed that I knew nothing about what was going on in Africa, when it was really he who did not know about the impending betrayal.

I bounced Ghana out of Morocco, and he made sure to never let me forget it for the rest of the game.

I wound up with 2 builds, and was looking pretty good.

Libya attacks Ghana, like he said he would. I laugh.

In the fall, I take 2 of the 3 remaining Russian centers, sealing his fate.

Canada begins to attack me, with Ghana's support

I get another 2 builds

Canada and I wage war.

Ghana surrenders Morocco to Canada, which severely annoys me.

Antarctica begins an attack on libya

I finish off Russia.

USA stabs Canada (finally), which effectivly wins me the war against Canada.

Canada offers a deal to me and Pac Russia, which I pretend to agree to.

At this point, I am a very strong ally with Pac Russia, although we never actually agreed to anything

I pick up another build

Canada, realizing he is going to lose, gives me Morocco and Godthab, and tries to make a kamikaze attack on libya, which fails.

At this point, people aren't picking up that libya and I are such great allies.

I help finish off the Middle East,

Libya starts to really grow, and starts to conquer Africa, and also stabs India this turn

USA starts to attack me.

I become the most successful Europe ever.

The USA moves into a position to either attack me or Pac Russia, my ally.

He offers me a plan to take Pac Russia, but I refuse to help.

At this point, Pac Russia begins to fall, mostly due to USA.

I get played by USA, who takes StP, only to give it back and take Godthab instead.

USA continues to close in on me.

I am scared.

USA had tried several times to have me help him to attack my long time ally in Pac Russia.

Realizing that he won't hold out much longer, I finally stab Pac Russia.

I finally run into the growing Armada of Colombia.

I get three builds, and the Europe reaches it's final shape and size.

I am boxed in by USA and Colombia

USA stabs me (again!) and takes StP. Luckily, I have units that aren't being used and I don't have to destroy anything I need.

Ah, the year I really clinch at least a place in the draw.

USA and Columbia have a screwup. and I reach a point where I am invincible with support.

1914- to the end of the game

I submit the same orders every time, with a few exceptions, which didn't work, so I didn't move.

Shout outs
- Libya (Steppenwulf/Thungbard)
My ally from start to finish. A whole 14 years. It was really fun playing with you both. Glad to draw with you

- Pac Russia (Ak47)
We lasted a good 10 years before I stabbed. It was a good alliance, and I wish you could have fought the USA off. Oh well, good game.

- The Triple of Death
While Libya, Pac Russia, and I were allied we killed 6 of the first 7 countries that died. (Russia, Canada, Middle East, Kenya, Ghana, and India; we didn't kill WNA)

- US (Dar Krum)
It was a really interesting game between us. We fought on and of for almost the entire game. I guess we tied.
A picture of our relations this game: http://www.jupiterimages.com/Image/royaltyFree/87638290

- Colombia (shockj/Grumpy)
I guess we didn't talk that much. If you didn't have that misorder, you might have had me. good game.
Last edited by AlphaTangoEcho on 10 Mar 2010, 01:45, edited 1 time in total.
(former) Moderator of Mafia

And she had to apologize at once for her voice, which was a very unfair voice for a woman to use. Her voice was a warm, luminous, timeless melody.
AlphaTangoEcho

Postby shockj » 10 Mar 2010, 00:11

Colombia AAR

Pre 1908

Before my time as ruler. Grumpy put me in a very nice position though. I was the first to respond to the need for Subs. I had my choice of Colombia or Libya, I personally liked Colombia's position better, and felt very good about having the USA on my side to begin with.

My Pre Game Plan

I pretty much knew from the get go that I would ride my alliance with Dar Krum as far as it could take me. It seemed to me that when playing a Map that is made up of 70 some odd percent Ocean territories, that Fleets would be the name of the game. I had the distinct advantage of being able to build Fleets in either the Atlantic or Pacific. I decided I would play in a style somewhat comparable to an England in a regular game of Diplomacy (as this was my first game of World Dip and I had no comparison) but an England where my goal is to simultaneously take over the Mediterranean and the North Atlantic/North Sea at the same time. I would nibble away at everything until I eventually had a piece of it all.

It always looks good on paper though.

Entering the game, I was pretty much 4th on the Totem Pole, I needed to force myself to become more relevant. Also, because I was Colombia, I thought I would play up the "Shady, eccentric prick with Bravado" angle in my negotations, so sorry everyone for that.

Chronology

My initial position was one where I knew that as long as I made smart moves, I would own my own continent within a couple years. As such, I really didn't negotiate much (at all) with my neighbors, I planned on steamrolling them, so there was really no point. I finished off Brazil, and set my sights on Argentina.

The landscape appeared to be that Libya and South Africa were allied against Australia and Antarctica. I was the swing vote in that alliance. I pounded out an agreement with Australia, who was fiercely against my Armada ambitions, and tried to keep me out of the Pacific. I had some good discussions with Libya, although he tried to keep me from attacking South Africa.

I set my eyes on being a Fleet power, as such, I build at least one Fleet every year from this point all the way until the end of the game.

I allow South Africa and Antarctica to engage, and slip in behind South Africa, much to Libya's shagrin. At this point, pretty much everyone but Australia is encouraging me to push deeper into the Pacific and take out Australia, who is making strong gains in Asia, but while leaving his back completely vulnerable.

1910 officially sees me becoming the sole ruler of my Continent, a very good feeling. China stabs Australia, and this gives me the window I need to make my move. I turn on Australia and move my Fleets toward New Zealand. I use my newly achieved Super power status, and avoid dealing South Africa the death blow. Instead, I allow him to wake some headway against Antarctica.

My wave of Fleets makes their full impact in Australia. USA lends his hand in the Asian theater. His destruction is virtually assured. Instead of completely wiping him out, Raphtown and I reach a deal to keep hi allow, and keep my Fleets steaming west. The Raphtown World Tour begins. I continue to allow South Africa to knock down Antarctica a bit, wearing them down for me without me having to really do anything. At the end of the year I land my first Colombian troops on Antarctic soil (read: ice)

1911 saw a missed opportunity in the East Atlantic. USA and I probably should have hit Europe here while he still wasn't fully deployed. Our two sides were in a Cold War style agreement of non aggression while still trying to hurt each other through other means. If we had been a bit more aggressive here, we might have made some more headway.

This was probably one of the most fun times in the game. Libya and I's negotiations were really enjoyable. Again, it was definitely a 'Cold War' kinda vibe. Both of us smiling and shaking hands while we held knives behind our backs in the other hand.

I knew that Libya had designs on Antarctic SCs, but it was very much in my best interest not to let him have them. He also greatly objected to my Fleets parked right off his shores in Western Africa, but as he had all armies amassed along those borders and no Fleet access there, there was really nothing he could do about it. It was fun walking the tight rope between trying to prevent him from succeeding without actually taking any direct action myself. I worked alot through lesser powers and was able to get them to do some of my bidding for me, which was alot of fun.

I really take full advantage of my "Nibbling" strategy from the outset, and manage to take SCs from Australia, Antarctica, and South Africa all in one year. Nice! I also forced myself to put off the immediate reward of taking SCs, and instead trade that for long term strategically valuable positions. As such, I steamrolled past some Australian SCs and tried to grab as many Indian Ocean territories as I could cram fleets into. It was my goal to continue to tighten the noose around Libya, so that I could eventually start landing troops from anywhere and everywhere, making it nearly impossible to defend.

At this point, I keep with what's working for me. Instead of continuing to attack Antarctica, I try to work with him against the Libyans, as his Fleets were much more valuable to me than his SCs at this point. I am about to support him into some Libyan territories when he NMRs. Very frustrating for me. I had planned to use him to bludgeon his way back to South Africa again, even giving him back some SCs if necessary, but that fell by the wayside at this point. As such, I finish the stab and take him out.

I carefully position my fleets in the Indian Ocean, slowly setting up to tighten the net.

This is my first botched order in the game, it really hurt. After years and years of letting Central Atlantic Ocean hang out exposed, I finally talk USA into hitting it with everything we have, I then conveniently forget to enter the order for the Fleet that actually moves. So frustrating. That would have broken the damn. I don't know if it would have gone through or not, but I would think it would have. Ugh. Details sir, details. This is convenient foreshadowing for a later Orders blunder that seals my fate.

I kinda set myself back at this point. After taking such care to set up all my Fleets in the Indian Ocean, Libya somehow talks me into pulling them back. I couldn't find those Messages when I went back and looked, I wish I had. I really want to know what kind of Voodoo magic he pulled on me to make me do something like that. Steppenwulf is some sort of Medicine Man or Mage. Don't let him tell you otherwise.

Of course he immediately fills those positions I vacate, and I sent my plan back a couple years. Which is very unfortunate as this is right before we are forced to take a very long hiatus in the near future.

I continue with my attack on Libya, and regain some of the ground I lost. I also cram a Fleet into every possible Territory as I can bordering the NE Indian Ocean. I'm drawing the Noose closed.

I officially bring together my Western Armada and my Eastern Armada, a goal 8 years in the making. I am the King of the Ocean. I guess that makes me an Admiral, or a Rear Admiral or something like that.

There is a small crevice that I go for in Madagascar. Libya is getting further stretched and exposed. More 50/50 type opportunities, things like that. I definitely have the advantage in the Indian ocean now. UNFORTUNATELY, I again mess up 2 critical sets of orders. I lose my advantage a bit. The draw is again proposed, and agreed to.

Post Game Thoughts

I really wanted to keep going. First of all, this is probably the best I've ever done in a game of Diplomacy (even if it is a different variant) against some top flight opponents. I had alot of fun and wasn't really looking forward to it ending. HOWEVER, writing all those orders in is very difficult, and it lead to the mistakes I made at critical moments that ultimately cost Dar Krum and I a bigger piece of the pie.

I had alot of fun with the Micro vs. Macro Diplomacy in this one, and I had alot of success and alot of fun playing the Cold War figure, trying to get others to do my bidding for me. It was a great challenge and I had alot of fun in doing so.

I think if we had kept going, I might have been able to eventually force my way into Libyan territory, and USA was looking strong in Asia, but at the end of the day, writing, checking, and submitting orders for 29 units becomes close to impossible. I wish I had been a bit more thorough in checking some of my orders, so as to avoid the mistakes I made, but it was difficult to even check them all on such a map.

I do also know that even putting together the maps is very labor intensive, and was really starting to feel like a jerk insisting the game keep going when pretty much everyone else (except for Dar Krum) wanted to wrap it up. I'm competitive, but realize when I'm maybe pushing things too far.

This was probably the most fun I've had playing Diplomacy, I will definitely remember this with great fondness.

Players

First, Thank You Thank You to Master Radishes. Really. It's not possible to put enough emphasis on that. I feel a bit guilty because I feel like it's this game that broke his spirit a little bit. You can really hear it in his GM comments the last couple years. He put alot of work into it, and I can't thank him enough for putting everything together like he did. He made an awesome game and I enjoyed every minute of it. Well done.

Second, DOI, for coming back and doing the last couple turns. Thanks for helping to provide a bit of closure. It was good taking the game a bit further, and its ending defintiely felt a bit more natural. Thank you also for all your hard work, and for volunteering to finish up.

Dar Krum - You were a great ally. I might have used the words "I did this, I did that" alot in my AAR. I just say that though because I'm going off of notes I took about moves. In reality, Dar Krum and I bounced ideas off of each other from the get go, and he was a great ally. I couldn't ask for better. He was definitely a big part of way I enjoyed the game so much. Thanks to you sir.

Secretly, in the back of my mind, I half contemplated going for a Solo, just because I knew how incredibly rare and hard that would be. But, my ambitions were quickly quelled when I realize I certainly didn't have the will or desire to stab you, so I quickly gave up on that idea. Thanks for a great game.

Steppenwulf - Another reason I enjoyed this game so much. As I said before, some of my best moments were in negotiations with Libya. Our back and forths were very fun and challenging. You are a great Diplomat sir. Hats off. It was an honor crossing swords with you, and I'm proud to share the draw with you.

AlphaTangoEcho - Didn't really talk much to you in this one. I decided at one point that I really didn't like you (as a country, not a player) for no real reason. As such, it was my goal from the get go to get you out. I missed my chance, but you managed to keep everyone in line so I could never talk anyone else into laying a finger on you. That is obviously a testament to your Diplomatic Skills, and your tactics clearly countered any steps I took to try and do you harm. Well played.

Raphtown - Sorry for the stab. You were a great Diplomat and I had fun playing with you. I wish the World Tour could have gone the distance, but you were caught in the middle of a Greater Struggle, and it ended up being your downfall. You were always willing to negotiate, even after I stabbed you, which is definitely the sign of a great player. A great game sir. Well played.

Jus - Wish we could have gone a bit further in our alliance. I enjoyed playing with you, although you were a bit on the quiet side and a tad unreliable. That clearly is not indicative of your play at large, as I've played with you before and you're a very good player. Had fun crossing swords with you in this one.

Ak47 - We didn't talk too much. You were the enemy from the start, but you played a great game and were a fun opponent. Nicely done.

All the rest - We didn't talk much, but thanks for playing your part in the World of Diplomacy. May we meet again on the battlefield.

Thanks again everyone. Well played.
Last edited by shockj on 10 Mar 2010, 04:27, edited 1 time in total.
Slay classy.

Washington wrote:Shockj has been known to go rouge on occasion
shockj

Class: Ambassador
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby Magmaniac » 10 Mar 2010, 00:18

AAR FOR BRAZIL

The first two phases were each a week long, and I made decent gains the first year, but the build phase the first year was unexpectedly only 24 hours. I didn't realize this abrupt shift was occurring and wasn't online for those 24 hours. Therefore I got no builds the first year and was completely fucked.
I held out fighting against argentina and columbia for a long time, but it was a hopeless battle, even with antarctic support. If I had been able to build those two armies, I am confident this entire game would have been completely different. Oh well.
Magmaniac

Standard rating: (1000)

Postby Tooth1066 » 10 Mar 2010, 10:21

Middle East AAR

It has been a while but I will try to remember what happened.

I started off talking to Russia/India/Libya about basic diplomacy. Never really wanted to ally with Russia, wanted to quick stab him and hope more countries would jump in and take him down quickly. Luckily, I was correct, Europe and other countries teamed up on Russia.
Made an agreement with Libya to keep Europe out of Med Sea.
In the fall I stabbed Russia by taking Armenia from him.
I gained 2 builds, not a bad start to such a large game.

In the spring I was just moving around my pieces to get into position to move against India.
In the fall, I made great moves against India, but was stabbed by Libya. Which basically ended my game for good.

After this point I was in survival mode, eventually I would be finished off by Libya, Pacific Russia, and India.

In the end I had a great time, I wish I would have had more of an impact, but someone has to die first.
Go Blue!
Tooth1066

Standard rating: (968)
All-game rating: (972)

Postby jstott » 10 Mar 2010, 11:11

I was set up to do well, until Columbia and I failed to eliminate Brazil. Things spiraled down for me from there on.
Do you hear the people sing,
Lost in the valley of the night,
It is the music of a people,
Who are climbing to the light,

For the wretched of the earth,
There is a flame that never dies,
Even the darkest night must end,
And the sun will rise
jstott

Timezone: GMT+10

Postby DOI » 10 Mar 2010, 16:38

In my brief time as China, my life was dominated by Australia. He had fleets straight up my coast and it was clear that I existed because it was convenient to him. I wanted to stab him before my usefulness ran out. Unfortunately, I had trouble getting cooperation from PR. In Fall 1909, what could have been a 4-destroy stab was only good for 1. Colombia saw vulnerability and came overseas to take Australia down, but it was too late for me. Both raphtown and DK were very communicative and helpful as allies.
"May the peace last for as long as it remains useful to us."
- Tokugawa, in Civilization IV
DOI

Timezone: GMT-7

Postby shockj » 10 Mar 2010, 17:32

ATE - Can you add the final SC count to your Original post? For my own selfish reasons. I know DOI just posted it in the last Build thread, I think.
Slay classy.

Washington wrote:Shockj has been known to go rouge on occasion
shockj

Postby Dar Krum » 11 Mar 2010, 18:38

Give me some time. I have looked back at my messages (haven't re-read any yet) and there are 13 pages that are mostly dedicated to WDIII. I have some memory refreshing to do!
Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been,...If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods,...will have lived a noble life and live on in the memories of your loved ones. - Marcus Aurelius
Dar Krum

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1164)
All-game rating: (1115)
Timezone: GMT-4

Postby Dar Krum » 11 Mar 2010, 22:43

Apologies now. This is long, and not all that exciting.

World Dip III AAR

Beginning Phase:
First message I get is from Ray. He has contacted both Grumpy and I looking for an ally across the pond, as it were. There is irony in this if you watched the original World Dip game and saw what he did to Grumpy and I. An interesting start.

I had mentioned in some strategy threads that USA and Colombia seemed like natural allies to me in this new configuration. Grumpy apparently agreed with me and we set out to find two other allies in the Western Hemisphere who would help us in overrunning our sphere of influence. Those two turned out to be Maidhc in Canada and Jstott in Argentina. This was not my original intention as I was leaning toward Trouble in WNA. I believe that I ultimately went with Canada because Trouble took too long to respond. (Funny how things work out sometimes.) That and I took issue with one of his first communications with me. (Not true offense mind you, just Diplomacy offense. He was wanting to negotiate over one of MY neutral SCs. The nerve…)

At this point I am happy with the four way arrangement. I thought that would likely remain the case (I rarely stab) but things would change.

1901-1902
Things go well, according to plan. Canada and I make the gains we intended to make, as do our South American partners. Some concerns about Pac Russia arise near the end of ’02, but some diplomacy persuades them that they should stay out of our sphere of influence. I refer to this as the Krum Doctrine. As an aside, and don’t tell maidhc, but this is where I plant a seed in the head of Pac Russia that perhaps one day he and I can squeeze Canada. In all honesty, it was simply a carrot to get him to do our bidding at the time. Little did I know that I would actually call on him for exactly that.

1903-1904
It is late ’02 or early ’03 that I begin thinking we would be better off without Canada. I float the idea past Grumpy as sort of a thought. He responds by feeding my some scotch that aids in my decision making process. I hold off for the moment, but in my mind, barring some huge change, it is done. My reasoning here was simply that maidhc was something of a loose cannon when it came to negotiating with the other powers. I figured things might be smoother without him.
The spring of ’03 goes well, though Trouble is giving us lots of it as we try to eliminate WNA. I told him so, though superior numbers would eventually win the day.

So, I have a fleet in both the Lab Sea and NWAO. I have access to Manitoba. I am still not sure, and then Canada sends a pretty strongly worded message to Argentina and my decision is made for me. First I send some misinformation to Canada and then I get the Pac Russians on board. They seem to be allied with Libya and Europe. I want Canada to lose his Morocco centre AND find out for sure if there is a Triple in play. Check on both accounts.

So, Canada and WNA are all but done. I need to clean up pockets of resistance. I really want to get this done quickly as I want to secure the Atlantic as best I can before I throw the Russians out. The Krum Doctrine will be in full effect, though the tone may be more sinister now. North America will be MINE!!

Things continue in the South. There are some hiccups and slowdowns that concern me, but progress is being made.

1905-1906
These are the years that I lay the groundwork for the eventual liberation of Pac Russia. As well, I have been speaking to the Aussies as I am going to need an ally in the coming battle against Pac Russia. It appears the Europeans will be of little help though I cannot understand why. Especially as my position grows better and better. By the Fall of ’05, my forces surround the small Pac Russian contingent in North America. They will be destroyed in ’06.

My relationship with Europe is very “Cold War”ish. We continue to be civil all the while I am trying to encircle him and force him into attacking the Russians. I do want him onside, but he refuses. I am confused… He also puts a fleet in the Lab Sea. The nerve! I will have to take that back AND take Godthab. I will take a roundabout approach to that by taking St Pete.
So, Australia. He drove a pretty hard bargain, getting me to commit to only two fleets at any one time in the Pacific. I was not a fan of that and never would have agreed had I not needed him in the battle against Pac Russia. His mistrust of me is what made me feel that at some point, if it became an option, I’d stab him. It never became an option and Colombia did it for me! But that is much later.

Things are going very slowly in South America. Grumpy is running into RL issues. I had considered stabbing my allies in the south, but I was going to be taking over the orders for Grumpy shortly, and well, that would have looked very bad. Jstott NMR’s and, coupled with the slow pace in the south, I make the decision that South America should come under a single rule. But I continue to work with him for now…

1907-1908

Russians are gone. North America is mine. Greenland is mine. Making inroads in Russia. Life is good. If only I could crack that European nut! He won’t turn, and I can’t really break into St Pete again. Aarg. Libya is no help either.
Shockj has come on board to handle the Colombian orders. He does a great job in mopping up the resistance in the south. I felt bad for Jstott in Argentina. Changes can happen for the smallest of reasons.

Australia has been making great gains against the Russians. Really, they are going to be the reason I am able to finish the job on Russia.

Spring 1910
I started sending my thoughts to MR as I sent my orders. Should have done that from the beginning. Here are the uncensored thoughts of the President of the USA:

MR, these are simply my musings to reflect on at the end of the game, to be of use in my AAR. I should have been doing this from the beginning.

Enjoy. Or disregard.

This last year has been an interesting one with the attack on Australia by China. A weak Australia is a target for my ally in Columbia. While I need Australia this turn, that use will be over once I am in Asia. As the Aussies weaken, Columbia and I will grow. That is a good thing as it will strengthen me and put me in a position to go after China once this whole silly Russia thing is over. It will also put an end to the Aus/Ant Alliance. (Double A Alliance?)

That will leave Columbia and I as the largest powers on the board; and potential targets. Diplomacy will be a key in speaking to Libya. GOAL: To be a member of the smallest winning alliance in World Dip history. (USA, Columbia, and Libya) One day, someone will solo.

I am still not going to attack Europe. He has done nothing overt to me and I would prefer to take out Russia before dealing with Europe. I am fairly certain of my position should I need to deal with them both. All that said, I will continue to tighten the noose around Europe. As he did not join me I need to assume the worst and be ready to deal with him soon. I'd prefer not to, but he just won't commit.

Word from Libya regarding Europe is good. If Europe does not join in when Libya feels he should, then Libya will join me in taking out Europe. Good news. Need to keep Libya relatively happy while I deal with Russia. I'd hate to have to deal with Europe AND Libya while Russia makes a comeback. Though it is nice to be in control of pretty much the entire west coast of Africa. Just in case.

Fall 1910
Now the question becomes, what to do about Europe? I am not sure about their loyalties right now either. Heard nothing from them after their attack on Russia. Makes me think that perhaps he is trying to lull me. Which is fine, I can support my Atlantic position and break any support against my ally in the Atlantic to the south.

Australia is going to be unhappy. Unfortunately for him, I see no downside in the attack on him. China is not what I'd call really strong, nor is Russia. Neither of those two are going to make any more gains from Australia and if Libya and Europe are for real, well, Asia should be little more problem.

With all those fleets looking at each other in the Med region, perhaps I can use some Jedi mind tricks to get Europe and Libya at each other? Must be VERY subtle or they will both turn on me. Can't have that happen till Asia is out. (Don't get too cocky, but I am pretty sure I can deal with both of them as it stands. Though that Step is a cagey player...)

I looked back on WD 1. The alliance consisted of four powers. My goal is to be one better. It makes sense that right now Europe is the odd man out. Colombia is untouchable for the most part. (Unless he does something really boneheaded.) Not having to worry about that flank has been invaluable.

Some context on the notes. Australia and China had become embroiled in a conflict and I was trying to be nice to both of them in hopes of gaining their centres. Turns out I was going to get all the Aussie centres and very few of the Chinese ones.

Spring 1911
A rejected draw. So happy that it is not on Colombia or I.

Well, a few things might bite me this year.
1. Shared info with the Aussies about how I am supporting China to Indonesia. Hopefully he will prevent it as I suggested. Hopefully they have not seen that it might be beneficial for every minor power on the board to oppose all the major ones wherever they can.
2. Sent a note to Europe a while ago. Received nothing back. Always a bad sign. He has done this before though, so I am hoping he doesn't turn on me hardcore and take Western Siberia. If I get another army unit in I think that I will be alright. Then, the next time he ignores a message, I can invoke the time honoured Dip rule, "If you aren't speaking to me, I must assume the worst."
3. Australia has a tiny opening against me in the Bering/Pacific region. He is making sounds like he is going to play like he is out of it and travel the world. His choice I guess, but I'd go balls out against that little opening and land for real in North America, causing no end of trouble.

With luck Libya will not get too uptight this year about the "accidental" support that Colombia is going to give Nigeria. If he does get uptight, Colombia and I have discussed it and I am going to cast Colombia in the role of villain. Lull either Libya or Europe or both before something bad happens to one of them.

1911 and it is looking like a four way. Must make it a three way or less. Hell, if we think we are strong enough, the Colombians have mentioned going balls out for a two way. THAT would be setting the bar very high indeed. We will have to see what the future brings.

There it is. SO FAR. I'll post more later. When I catch my breath and my fingers don't hurt so much...
Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been,...If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods,...will have lived a noble life and live on in the memories of your loved ones. - Marcus Aurelius
Dar Krum

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1164)
All-game rating: (1115)
Timezone: GMT-4

Next

Return to Game 3