WORLD DIP 2 ENDS - AARs

GM: Master Radishes. 5-way draw - wswitala (S Africa), Dar Krum (Libya), chuksi (Ghana), lotr_freak (Mid East), SleepyLab (Russia).

Re: WORLD DIP 2 ENDS - AARs

Postby Dar Krum » 14 Apr 2009, 19:12

chuksi wrote:Now this really makes me wonder what would have happened if I had rejected the draw and pushed on to have someone eliminated. Any comments on how people would have reacted are welcome. It was not the game to experiment with such things, so I agreed to the draw, which was not a bad deal for me anyway.

Here is how Libya might have reacted:

My alliance with Ghana, South Africa and Middle East felt strong after emerging from my gamble of the first year. I trusted them. Ghana and ME had a chance to attack and did not. I wanted this game to end in a four way. Again, no offense to Sleepy in Russia, but I wanted the four way.

I gently (because I doubted he would do it) suggested to Freak that perhaps the Russians were ripe for an attack. They were small at one point (as the PRussian AAR pointed out) and I thought perhaps that was the time. Freak did not bite. I suggested later that we needed to be wary of Russia as he had a lot of forces close to our backyard. He did. It was also an excuse to keep that Austrian army where it was. Again, Freak did not act. By now I was sure that Freak would not move on them (later he out and out said it), and further, I was worried that if I attacked him unprovoked that Freak might side with Russia against me. As much as I trusted my allies in Africa, there was little doubt in my mind where that battle would take place. Squarely in my home territory as my allies came to my defense.

Back to the point, had chuksi declined the draw, I'd have wanted to attack the Russians. However, it is more likely that I would have moved on chuksi in Ghana after some serious discussions with my allies. My rationale would have been that chuksi would have been an easier target in that he was closer and that my armies were very close by and able to mount, to my mind, an effective attack on him. I was never close, proximately, to Russia. Had my plan of conquering more of Europe come to fruition, I WOULD have attacked Russia earlier and counted on Ghana to cover my back in the Atlantic and on Freak to at least remain neutral and at best join me if he saw that I had the upper hand.
Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been,...If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods,...will have lived a noble life and live on in the memories of your loved ones. - Marcus Aurelius
Dar Krum

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1164)
All-game rating: (1115)
Timezone: GMT-4

Postby lotr_freak » 15 Apr 2009, 01:24

Dar Krum wrote:
chuksi wrote:Now this really makes me wonder what would have happened if I had rejected the draw and pushed on to have someone eliminated. Any comments on how people would have reacted are welcome. It was not the game to experiment with such things, so I agreed to the draw, which was not a bad deal for me anyway.

Here is how Libya might have reacted:

My alliance with Ghana, South Africa and Middle East felt strong after emerging from my gamble of the first year. I trusted them. Ghana and ME had a chance to attack and did not. I wanted this game to end in a four way. Again, no offense to Sleepy in Russia, but I wanted the four way.

I gently (because I doubted he would do it) suggested to Freak that perhaps the Russians were ripe for an attack. They were small at one point (as the PRussian AAR pointed out) and I thought perhaps that was the time. Freak did not bite. I suggested later that we needed to be wary of Russia as he had a lot of forces close to our backyard. He did. It was also an excuse to keep that Austrian army where it was. Again, Freak did not act. By now I was sure that Freak would not move on them (later he out and out said it), and further, I was worried that if I attacked him unprovoked that Freak might side with Russia against me. As much as I trusted my allies in Africa, there was little doubt in my mind where that battle would take place. Squarely in my home territory as my allies came to my defense.

Back to the point, had chuksi declined the draw, I'd have wanted to attack the Russians. However, it is more likely that I would have moved on chuksi in Ghana after some serious discussions with my allies. My rationale would have been that chuksi would have been an easier target in that he was closer and that my armies were very close by and able to mount, to my mind, an effective attack on him. I was never close, proximately, to Russia. Had my plan of conquering more of Europe come to fruition, I WOULD have attacked Russia earlier and counted on Ghana to cover my back in the Atlantic and on Freak to at least remain neutral and at best join me if he saw that I had the upper hand.

My position here is pretty simple. If anyone had attacked Russia (or Libya, Ghana, or South Africa for that matter) I would've immediately gone to war against the aggressor. :D

Also, I am working on my AAR. It's quite long, and I'm quite busy this week, so I apologize for the slowness.
"I wish the ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened. So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you."

Gold Member of Classicists
lotr_freak

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (1000)
All-game rating: (1000)
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby Diplomat » 15 Apr 2009, 01:27

Lotr, stop posting here and go post in Chaos...
Avatar courtesy of TheCraw. Many Thanks.
Diplomat

Timezone: GMT-8

Postby lotr_freak » 15 Apr 2009, 01:32

Diplomat wrote:Lotr, stop posting here and go post in Chaos...

Okay..... Sorry? I'm writing that AAR too, although it's not quite as long.
"I wish the ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened. So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you."

lotr_freak

Postby Diplomat » 15 Apr 2009, 03:14

@ Lotr ;)

Finish your school obligations, that is most important! Then get to the game and your AARs.
Avatar courtesy of TheCraw. Many Thanks.
Diplomat

Timezone: GMT-8

Postby sroca » 15 Apr 2009, 04:12

Diplomat wrote:I worked with Sroca in the first game and I think he's being hard on himself, I found him to be a good ally, solid, but not dependent, and he was crafty enough that I felt I had to be wary and I always kept my eye on him just in case he decided to break out and make a play on his own. His strategies and moves were solid, and he communicated well as well. Course he did string me along 1 too many turns before he attacked Frankx3 in that first game... ;)

Thanks Dip.

I was still fairly new to the game though. Also you couldn't have been to angry seeing as my movement on Frankx3 was quick. (or at least someone commented that it was.)
Hebrews 3:7-8a (ESV)
"Therefore, as the Holy Spirit says, 'Today, if you hear his voice, do not harden your hearts...'"

Please donate funds to the site for its extended operation. Here is the link: http://www.playdiplomacy.com/premium.php
sroca
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1131
All-game rating: 1133
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby lotr_freak » 20 Apr 2009, 08:39

I will try to post my AAR this week sometime, I've been trying to work on it as much as possible. School is insanely busy right now, and it's been all I can do just to keep up with my regular games, and forum games. AAR writing has taken a bit of a backseat, and for that I really do apologize everyone. I'll do my best to post it this week though! And thanks everyone else for their AAR's, they've been very interesting to read. :D

lotr_freak

Postby infinity8ball » 12 May 2009, 23:17

I have an idea:

See if any of the additions in round 2 need to be removed after trying them out... INSTEAD of first trying to ADD more onto an already crowded map!
infinity8ball
Sponsor
Sponsor

Timezone: GMT-6

Previous

Return to Game 2