World diplomacy? - FULL

GM: DRifteR. 4-way draw - sroca (Ghana), Diplomat (PacRus), Yorkshireman (S Africa), infinity8ball (India)

Re: World diplomacy?

Postby Spitfire » 18 Jun 2008, 23:12

hah... I think so.. apart from turns taking prob at least 48 or 72 hours, your gonna be talking 17 countries battling for a huge amount of teritory.
Diplomacy is to break someone's leg and then to say; "Lean on me."
Spitfire

Class: Diplomat
All-game rating: (1000)
Timezone: GMT

Postby Diplomat » 19 Jun 2008, 00:02

I would be tentatively willing to try that out once I was able to see the map finalized and confirm the rules would be standard diplomacy.
Avatar courtesy of TheCraw. Many Thanks.
Diplomat

Timezone: GMT-8

Postby Master Radishes » 19 Jun 2008, 04:17

I'm up for it. I'd even help GM it, but I see we have a volunteer or three already, so no need I guess.

Also, you don't need to talk to everyone right away, really. It's one thing with only 7 countries, but, what is it, 17? You can afford to leave a few off your agenda at first. Just deal with your neighbours, and the diplomacy won't be too much more than it is right now.
Master Radishes
Premium Member

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1000)
All-game rating: (1071)

Postby Grumpy » 19 Jun 2008, 07:23

Master Radishes wrote:Just deal with your neighbours, and the diplomacy won't be too much more than it is right now.

I reckon that would be a losing strategy.

A game like that would be won by continental alliances.
"First things first, but not necessarily in that order."

The Doctor.
Grumpy

Postby DRifteR » 19 Jun 2008, 09:46

Okay, so I did some research and here are my results.

1) Mapmaking: Editing the map manually in Paint works just fine. It was less pain than I thought it would be. However, I will likely spruce it up to make it bigger, nicer icons, layer it in Photoshop, etc. There are lots of different mapping/Diplomacy tools online, some of which work better than others.

2) Modifications: I will be using the Version 3 map http://www.ellought.demon.co.uk/world3.ps . I'd rather use the latest version and work off others' work in addressing power imbalances. You will of course see the finalized map with starting unit positions before the game starts. It'll just take me a day or two to make it.

3) Rules: See http://www.variantbank.org/results/rules/w/worlddip9.htm for some explanation. All standard Diplomacy movement and build rules apply. Country selection is random. Public (country assignments are visible). 48 hours between all moves (flexible depending on popular opinion). Messages and orders sent through Private Messages (PM). The 'shoutbox' and last turn results will be posts in this forum.

4) Players: We need 17 players - all or nothing. I will NOT be playing because as GM I will not compromise my integrity or be tempted to do so. Spitfire, would you like to be my alternate/assistant? You can play, though. It seems like we have 6 players now? First thing is to get on recruiting!

If we don't get 17 people, I suggest the Youngstown variant for 10 people. It's already built into the program jDip which will make it REALLY easy for me. You should take a look at jDip.
DRifteR

Postby Tommy4ever » 20 Jun 2008, 20:16

Could someone explain or give me a link to a page that can tell me what Youngstown Diplomacy is. I just want to know before I go and commit myself to it.

TY
Tommy4ever

Postby Spitfire » 21 Jun 2008, 01:26

Yeah I'll be the wingman, np.

Let me know what I can do. And Im not sure how many players now... looks like six without you
Spitfire

Postby DRifteR » 21 Jun 2008, 03:48

Alright Spitfire, well the first thing for you to do is to get 11 more people. Unless you are an expert at SVG (Scaled Vector Graphics), I think modifying the existing map will be best. I'll be doing that and you can check it over when I'm done.
DRifteR

Postby Spitfire » 21 Jun 2008, 12:21

hmmm...

I do happen to freelance as a graphic designer, using the Adobe suite, so if you need help with your vectors, let me know
Spitfire

Postby Yorkshireman » 22 Jun 2008, 13:23

I'd like to be included in the list of possible players if that's possible.
Thank's.
Yorkshireman

Standard rating: (1067)
All-game rating: (1010)

PreviousNext

Return to Game 1