World Diplomacy AARs and Discussion

GM: DRifteR. 4-way draw - sroca (Ghana), Diplomat (PacRus), Yorkshireman (S Africa), infinity8ball (India)

Re: World Diplomacy AARs and Discussion

Postby Dar Krum » 05 Dec 2008, 19:54

raytheruler wrote:thats where i disagree. i think that you would've turned on me eventually. once you realized that i wasn't growing nor doing anything for you.

If you are referring to Grumpy and I turning on you, I do not believe that we would have. Our offer of a ride to South America for a couple of dots was sincere. The discussion we had regarding the aquisition of an African ally was specifically for you so that you could grow in Europe. (And us too to slow down that Unholy Alliance) It would have taken some bone headed moves for us to have stabbed you. WIth hindsight as my guide, I can assure you there would have been some serious stab talks going on when you missed orders and the like. However, again with the hindsight, had you been in our tight little alliance we would have seen to it that you never missed orders due to outside issues.

All of it is hindsight though. So I will grudgingly admit that the stab was a very good one. In that it accomplished it's goal of hamstringing the stabbees to the point where you could defeat them. Bad stab in that I TRULY believe the NA Alliance, or CRAP as it was coined, would have stood astride the world at the end.

Still, an enjoyable game. Thanks again to Dip for the ride home at the end and for the destruction of Ray!! :D
Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been,...If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods,...will have lived a noble life and live on in the memories of your loved ones. - Marcus Aurelius
Dar Krum

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1164)
All-game rating: (1115)
Timezone: GMT-4

Postby raytheruler » 06 Dec 2008, 00:19

id really like to know how it would turn out if i didn't. it was the hardest decision ive ever had to make (in this game, that is). i would like to think that you are right, but.... Even though you may have had good intentions till the end i cant help thinking that if we continued to grow your minds would have changed. i was beat in europe. Sroca (or replacement sroca) was a bad ally after the first year. i was just going to be knocked off by Pacific Russia and the Middle East.

Dar Krum wrote:Thanks again to Dip for the ride home at the end and for the destruction of Ray!!

that was siungularly obnoxious. haha.
"It was easy to read the message in his entrails. Man was matter, that was Snowden's secret. Drop him out a window and he'll fall. Set fire to him and he'll burn. Bury him and he'll rot, like other kinds of garbage." -Joseph Heller
raytheruler

Class: Diplomat
All-game rating: (1000)
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby Master Radishes » 06 Dec 2008, 03:39

If Ray had not stabbed DK/Grumpy...

Dip and I would've stayed allied, as the NA threat was too big to ignore.

Ray would've not grown enough to hold his own against the two of us, and get beaten back.

Dip could also have attacked Dar Krum from the other side.

Grumpy and DK would still be growing courtesy of their SA campaign, but Ray would be getting the short end of the stick, even with assistance from the other two.

I'd say those are pretty plausible predictions. Also, possibly...

The IOTC (Dip, Ifni, me, Spit, mt) might have stuck together too, leaving Australia to help out Dip against DK. They probably wouldn't get far, but it would at least contain him in the Pacific a bit.

Grumpy would have probably run into conflict with South Africa, and YSM may not have survived. Spit would benefit from it.

If Grumpy eventually turned to Africa as well, as there was nowhere else to go, that would weaken Ghana enough to allow me, and later Spit and Infinity, to break into Africa and make some more gains ourselves, thereby strengthening ourselves further.

So overall, Grumpy would benefit whatever he did, DK would but then stop growing much once SA was gone, and Ray would end up the weak member of the alliance, getting beaten by Dip and me in the north.

So with that in mind, Ray's best move was probably to do what he did. His mistake was then getting into a war with Dip later, which would have been avoided by the sound of it.
Master Radishes
Premium Member

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 1000
All-game rating: 1187
Timezone: GMT

Postby Diplomat » 08 Dec 2008, 10:07

MT - Glad to see you back as well. Its always interesting to see the write ups and that whole series of events soured the game for me as you can see. There was just nothing 'good' I could get out of what happened and it really upset my 'balance' for lack of a better term. I 'stabbed' MR but the 1st time was trying to get him to deal with me in a manner that I felt was honest, given I was getting messages forwarded to me from other players talking about him quarterbacking the effort against me. MR did admit to some of that, and then Ifni came along the next turn and shared 'new' intel along those lines again which made me think it had not stopped. Anyway, I'm retelling tales here again. My write up will do that for me at this point. I did not want to stab you and, as I noted, only consented when I felt it was getting insulting rather than constructive.

As to the discussion about would haves... I agree with MR. Ray always had the worst option for advancement in that triangle, much like Ifni did with MR/Ifni and I. That stab was a killer and Ray could have played it into much more than he did if his RL had allowed him too. Next time around should be interesting to say the least. See what changes in the game the adjusted map brings.
Avatar courtesy of TheCraw. Many Thanks.
Diplomat

Timezone: GMT-8

Postby The Leader » 22 Dec 2008, 04:09

The game from my perspective:

Joined mid game as half dead country. Died. Hopefully, I can play a full game through some other time. Good game to all! :D
Perpes Quest Quaero Scientia.
The Leader

Postby infinity8ball » 03 Jan 2009, 21:08

Master Radishes wrote:I'd say those are pretty plausible predictions. Also, possibly...

The IOTC (Dip, Ifni, me, Spit, mt) might have stuck together too, leaving Australia to help out Dip against DK. They probably wouldn't get far, but it would at least contain him in the Pacific a bit.

Grumpy would have probably run into conflict with South Africa, and YSM may not have survived. Spit would benefit from it.

If Grumpy eventually turned to Africa as well, as there was nowhere else to go, that would weaken Ghana enough to allow me, and later Spit and Infinity, to break into Africa and make some more gains ourselves, thereby strengthening ourselves further.

So overall, Grumpy would benefit whatever he did, DK would but then stop growing much once SA was gone, and Ray would end up the weak member of the alliance, getting beaten by Dip and me in the north.

So with that in mind, Ray's best move was probably to do what he did. His mistake was then getting into a war with Dip later, which would have been avoided by the sound of it.

Wouldn't have happened like that for the same reason the IOTC didn't work out in the real game... you've left ME out of the equation! I still needed somewhere to go, and the IOTC really boxed me in. Convoying armies into Africa is a dead end for India, the future is at sea, which would have meant either taking out Spit or MT. Knowing we had an Asian alliance, first off woulda been Australia, since he would be fighting DK. I would be happy taking his place with Dip to push back the NA alliance... maybe. All depends if Spit would still like me after I would have taken out MT and tried to abuse my new backside to him.
infinity8ball
Sponsor
Sponsor

Postby Diplomat » 03 Jan 2009, 21:16

Yeah, the IOTC was flawed from the start, and that is my fault. I thought we needed Spit, and with Spit game MT, so bringing both on board mean Ifni could only to to Africa. Africa turned out to be a whole lot tougher nut to crack that I expected, Solid work Sroca and Frank, so Ifni has no where to go at all as it turned out.
Diplomat

Postby mtgoat » 04 Jan 2009, 01:42

I had the same problem that led me to try and turn the alliance cannibalistic with regards to India. Ifni's proximity meant I couldn't project nearly enough strength to make significant advances in the Western hemisphere. India made much more sense as a target and a buffer between Dip, MR and myself. I agree that the IOTC left one of us sure to be devoured by the rest and it happened to me. It happens!
mtgoat

Postby Master Radishes » 04 Jan 2009, 04:03

mtgoat wrote:agree that the IOTC left one of us sure to be devoured by the rest and it happened to me.

I'm pretty sure I was the first one to die, actually. :(
Master Radishes
Premium Member

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 1000
All-game rating: 1187

Postby Diplomat » 04 Jan 2009, 12:48

Ifni is a vegetarian at heart, he wanted Radishes, not goats, at least for his first coarse.
Diplomat

PreviousNext

Return to Game 1