World Diplomacy AARs and Discussion

GM: DRifteR. 4-way draw - sroca (Ghana), Diplomat (PacRus), Yorkshireman (S Africa), infinity8ball (India)

Re: World Diplomacy AARs and Discussion

Postby raytheruler » 27 Nov 2008, 00:24

thats where i disagree. i think that you would've turned on me eventually. once you realized that i wasn't growing nor doing anything for you.

i earned your respect? woah...didn't see that coming. but i think thats exactly what this forum needs. more grumpys. ...actually on second thought thats not such a good idea. but more people cursing each other out for sure. it adds too the lightness of it all.

diplomat you FRACKER.

...see?

Edited for language by Diplomat ;)
"It was easy to read the message in his entrails. Man was matter, that was Snowden's secret. Drop him out a window and he'll fall. Set fire to him and he'll burn. Bury him and he'll rot, like other kinds of garbage." -Joseph Heller
raytheruler

Class: Diplomat
All-game rating: (1000)
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby Diplomat » 27 Nov 2008, 00:31

That game was always going to be won by an alliance of some sort, it was just too big to do otherwise I think, which is one of the reasons I never really tried (as I have detailed exhaustively elsewhere). Any player getting big enough should have provoked an immediate reponse. Perhaps when the game was down to 3 players you could have had a solo, but not with 5 plus sundry smaller powers like DK, Ray, Frank, etc...

I was happy to see it end and I would have taken the draws at any point prior to that with equal joy and happiness.

And, Ray, I take your statement in the spirit in which it was given, much as you took crap from Grumpy and DK after they smacked you down. I know it must be humbling to have seen your great empire fall in just a couple of years. Smarts huh? ;)
Avatar courtesy of TheCraw. Many Thanks.
Diplomat

Timezone: GMT-8

Postby mtgoat » 03 Dec 2008, 10:57

Well, I'm certainly late to this discussion (just getting settled after a big move) but I'll try to offer a little bit of insight into my lonely island existence.

I came into this game new to the site and without much knowledge of individual players or styles. Shoot, I'd only been playing the regular game for a few months! As such most of my early game was trying to feel people out, survive, and find one or two people I could really trust. Spit came across as the most upfront, admitting to early stab tendencies but also citing a record of preserving long-term truces through thick and thin. His support really gave me the security and leverage I needed to establish myself and make it through the early purges. Let the record also show his absolute love, support and care packages of home-baked cookies when I was feeling down on myself.

My primary problem in the early game was finding an avenue for expansion. I made little forays into South Africa and the Western Hemisphere but never really got solidly entrenched anywhere outside my little home region. South Africa was the most promising place while the African triangle was being decided but, much to my chagrin, YSM simply would...not...die... It amazed me how resilient he was and how frequently wrong I could be about his position. Player of the game to my mind.

Still, things were going decently well into the midgame when the infamous IOTCOI812 formed. I was thrilled to have a chance to work with the group and felt like I had a fighting chance at coming out of any collapse safely due to India's precarious position and famously volatile nature. This was one of my biggest mistakes, as I clumsily alienated Ifni and made a committed enemy in the process. I'm not sure it would have made any difference but I would have preferred to avoid the acrimony that built up there.

Despite Ifni's aggression I was still feeling OK. DK had dropped by to "visit" my territory but been pulled away by Ray's stab back home. I could hold off India indefinitely at worst, and with minimal assistance or even just a few good guesses work my way right up to the Bengali coast. This is when Dip finally took Ifni's side and doomed me. I'm sorry to hear that it was my tone that pushed you to it, Dip, but I was having a hard time figuring out how to deal with you. On the one hand I genuinely believed your claims that you attempt to play with utmost honor and honesty, while on the other I watched you stab MR twice and break two promises to me. As such I went the wrong direction and tried to be a bit more abrasive in the hope that you would throw me a bone to appease me, a new player and someone with whom you might feel obligated to establish your sterling reputation. Obviously it didn't work.

Anyway, once PR and India were joined against me I was done. MR had no strength left to draw off any attention and Spit had his hands filled to overflowing with Kenya and the immortal Yorkshireman.

Overall the game was a lot of fun and I do think I learned a thing or two from my mistakes. As to Australia as a country it's very nice to feel so well-defensed once either the North or South is secured but expansion was hard. I think Asia makes the most sense since an attack on Antarctica would need to be quick enough to recover forces before PR and India are done with China. I don't think that's possible as the board currently stands. A stronger China would make a very interesting ally though... I also would have like to have seen what would have come of an early Australia-Antarctica-Argentina "AAA" assurance of Southern safety. Before Argentina's NMRs it looked like a promising way to form a really potent force with a united front. Maybe some day.

Thanks to all for the opportunity and I hope to see you in other games soon!
mtgoat

Timezone: GMT

Postby Master Radishes » 03 Dec 2008, 12:29

Howdy, mt. Good to see you back. :)
Master Radishes
Premium Member

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 1000
All-game rating: 1187

Postby Spitfire » 04 Dec 2008, 10:55

the immortal Yorkshireman

Sounds fecking right... Can't wait to see which sucker gets him next time as a neighbour...

Player of the Game vote from me too. Yorkshireman.
Diplomacy is to break someone's leg and then to say; "Lean on me."
Spitfire

Postby Master Radishes » 04 Dec 2008, 11:24

Spitfire wrote:
the immortal Yorkshireman

Sounds fecking right... Can't wait to see which sucker gets him next time as a neighbour...

Player of the Game vote from me too. Yorkshireman.

I was saying that for most of the game already, before he even came back to win. ;)
Master Radishes
Premium Member

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 1000
All-game rating: 1187

Postby raytheruler » 04 Dec 2008, 22:03

he has my vote too as i have said on numerous occasions. a true cinderella story. with a happy ending. :)
"It was easy to read the message in his entrails. Man was matter, that was Snowden's secret. Drop him out a window and he'll fall. Set fire to him and he'll burn. Bury him and he'll rot, like other kinds of garbage." -Joseph Heller
raytheruler

Postby sroca » 05 Dec 2008, 00:35

raytheruler wrote:he has my vote too as i have said on numerous occasions. a true cinderella story. with a happy ending. :)

True, but I like to think I had a hand in helping it happen.
Hebrews 3:7-8a (ESV)
"Therefore, as the Holy Spirit says, 'Today, if you hear his voice, do not harden your hearts...'"

Please donate funds to the site for its extended operation. Here is the link: http://www.playdiplomacy.com/premium.php
sroca
Sponsor
Sponsor

Standard rating: (1131)
All-game rating: (1133)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby frankfrankfrank » 05 Dec 2008, 01:29

Right, I'm going to have to go ahead and disagree with you there, sroca. You were pretty adamant about taking out Yorkshireman once we were stalemated trying to get out of Africa. I dragged my feet long enough to keep him alive because he was remarkably useful. From my understanding, you guys only teamed up after my demise, and when he was already rolling with maybe eight centers, and you were being attacked from a few different angles.
frankfrankfrank

Postby sroca » 05 Dec 2008, 01:39

That is true, but I did try to stay out of his way near the end there when you were on your way out. Also I did say "I like to think." haha
Hebrews 3:7-8a (ESV)
"Therefore, as the Holy Spirit says, 'Today, if you hear his voice, do not harden your hearts...'"

Please donate funds to the site for its extended operation. Here is the link: http://www.playdiplomacy.com/premium.php
sroca
Sponsor
Sponsor

Standard rating: (1131)
All-game rating: (1133)
Timezone: GMT-5

PreviousNext

Return to Game 1