World Diplomacy AARs and Discussion

GM: DRifteR. 4-way draw - sroca (Ghana), Diplomat (PacRus), Yorkshireman (S Africa), infinity8ball (India)

Re: World Diplomacy AARs and Discussion

Postby sroca » 11 Nov 2008, 00:05

frankfrankfrank wrote:I received word from DRifteR that we have an replacement Ghana in line for the fall term. Nice guy by the name of sroca. I'd come to know him well. I proceed to butter him up, sent him all my correspondence with the old Ghana. We work together nicely for some time, and I'll never forget the special time we shared as allies.

Ah I'm blushing. :oops: Actually I did enjoy our alliance and if I had had more experience at Diplomacy in general our alliance would probably have been more prosperous. (My first time even hearing about and playing diplomacy was in May so I only had about two months or so of experience) I did realize that my surplus of armies was crippling in a way, but I knew that you wouldn't be able to hold them off when I did decide to come after you. Anyway I hope our next alliance pans out better.

frankfrankfrank wrote:1904
I still feel quite defensible with my fleets, and I'm trying to hold out for Ghana to sail around into the Med, or at least put a couple fleets to pressure the Med. He didn't seem entirely convinced of its strategic power, and I didn't understand that. I had an obsession with the Northwest Indian Ocean as vital to my defense, but Ghana wanted to sail south to South Africa, I'm assuming because the gains were easier. There were rumblings of a ceasefire if I'd turn on Ghana. Middle East and I decide to revisit it in the future.

I'm quite sure this was the year that I missed. I think I would make it back for these fall orders though. Anyway I do realize its importance now at least.

frankfrankfrank wrote:1908
I think I tried to sound an alarm in Ghana's head that the northern powers could easily sweep south to take him out undefended, but that falls on deaf ears. When its clear India will swoop in for my scraps, that falls on deaf ears also. Ghana is moving on me hard and there's little I can do. Diplomat's first draw offer is still the finest piece of diplomacy I've encountered on this website. The offer was never going to go through, but sroca was bored and that won him over enough to keep attacking me if it meant the game would finish sooner.

For some reason I invested a lot of trust in Diplomat. I couldn't see him directly coming down on me even though he did help ray land an army in Morocco. Also because I had spent several builds on armies I didn't think that India would be able to make much of a bid for your centers and since I had so many I knew you wouldn't be able to resist.

frankfrankfrank wrote:As to future players, the game is a marathon and you should be prepared for one. This one took a little over four months. We were confirming over the fourth of july, and now its finished with thanksgiving a few weeks away. I'd be willing to join one starting in January, but if one were to start now the amount of NMR's during the December holidays would ruin it.

Thanks for mentioning this because I've started the sign up for the next one, and need to ask whether it needs to be postponed to start in January. We already have about eleven people so I need to mention it now.
Hebrews 3:7-8a (ESV)
"Therefore, as the Holy Spirit says, 'Today, if you hear his voice, do not harden your hearts...'"

Please donate funds to the site for its extended operation. Here is the link: http://www.playdiplomacy.com/premium.php
sroca
Sponsor
Sponsor

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (1131)
All-game rating: (1133)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby DRifteR » 11 Nov 2008, 03:36

From the GM's point of view:

At the beginning I was really excited. I had just learned how to play dip a while back, got into the site, and played a few forum games. I was no expert, but I was playing against good people and wanted to try a variant. So I chose the biggest one and thought that since we had a good community, we could have enough ppl and dedication to do it. I took the initiative of leading it. I chose this map b/c it had no new special rules, just a big map with a lot of people.

At the beginning I was very excited. I adjucated right on time. I was also only taking two classes in the summer, so I had enough free time to dedicate to it. I wrote an episode or two of the "International Inquirer" which was funny, but took too much time to write well. Was it you Radishes who wrote one of them? I thought it was Vontrappsburg b/c they stopped after he left. Anyways, props. Good writing =)

I tried to be as unbiased a judge as I could, and only be the "mysterious 18th player" through the newspaper. I didn't secretly want someone to win or lose, just stir the pot ocassionally to keep the game interesting. The only time I did this outside of the newspaper was when I made an off comment about Dip becoming way too powerful. Let me explain that.

He was with Radishes and Infinity at the time, and I knew that he could easily roll over either of them, or Canada. I think this was the time when you were slowing down to keep pace with Canada, Dip. I thought that with the geography and your position you were unstoppable and would soon roll on impeded but relentlessly to a solo. I didn't want that to happen so easily.

Dip got REALLY pissed at this off-comment because it violated my unbiased-ness. I admit it did, but not seriously in my opinion. Radishes was still alive then, so he smoothed it over between us over PM. But it kind of soured relations between me and Dip for the rest of the game. I never interfered in the game again.

Later I had a month-long vacation back home. I don't have Photoshop back home, and I didn't have a schedule which made it difficult. I apologize for that. The game slowed down, but thankfully didn't stop.

We got back to it in September, and I started my fall quarter. I'm taking more classes now and have more worries, so this game slipped on my list of priorities. I thought ya'll could kind of take it after a month of slowdown already. The board had already pretty much solidified too.

We had the late orders fiasco and Dip got pissed that I wasn't strict enough. As a GM I decided from the beginning to allow the late-order grace period as a balance between strictness and leniency, to lessen NMRs and make it enjoyable for all. Others used the grace period earlier in the game and submitted orders at 12:15am-ish. It's just that you were the only one to try and submit AFTER the grace period, Dip. I didn't want you (or anyone) to be able to see everyone else's orders unfairly.

Then it ended and now here we are.

---

Game contents:

Sorry it turned out bad, Dip. I guess we just have different personalities and priorities. I hope we can still be friends and even allies in a future game.

I knew sea power would be key in the game, and it was. Much more than regular dip, but we can talk about that later. I thought you would do better in Antarctica Spit, and mirror Dip's performance in PRussia. But you never recovered after your NMRs.

The only other thing I noticed was that Yorkshireman was being too cautious late in the game. He could have taken Brasilia, Peru, and even Recife. Those units could have bolstered him in a future stab or something. Also, YSMan you could have taken a few tactical chances and killed 3Frank quicker. This could've solidified you in Antarctica and prevented India from getting that foothold. You also could have used the Ross Ice Shelf to break the SPO. Maybe you had some reason ysman?

---

I knew some of ya'll before, but there were new faces like ray and sroca who really proved themselves. I look forward to playing with ya'll in the future.

Even though I didn't play, as a judge and keen observer I had fun. I'll talk about suggestions and future runs on those threads.
DRifteR

All-game rating: (1000)
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby sroca » 11 Nov 2008, 03:48

DRifteR wrote:I knew some of ya'll before, but there were new faces like ray and sroca who really proved themselves. I look forward to playing with ya'll in the future.

:D I feel like family now and its only been about 7 months.
Hebrews 3:7-8a (ESV)
"Therefore, as the Holy Spirit says, 'Today, if you hear his voice, do not harden your hearts...'"

Please donate funds to the site for its extended operation. Here is the link: http://www.playdiplomacy.com/premium.php
sroca
Sponsor
Sponsor

Standard rating: (1131)
All-game rating: (1133)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby raytheruler » 11 Nov 2008, 16:57

Well you may not always have wanted to stab me, but the way you were surrounding me, I knew it would come eventually. Which is half the reason i made the move in the first place. I figured once the first few draws were rejected people like YMan wouldn't rest until someone else was out of the picture. I was strong. but now? You could've taken me over. I needed a gutsy move to show i was still in it. I saw columbia as that move. I thought our alliance was so strong as to withstand that blemish, maybe through a bit of talking. Thats where i was wrong. Maybe you weren't exactly waiting to stab me, but you can't deny the idea wasn't lurking in the back of your head. I think we both knew something was going to happen. I just kinda acceleratted that process.

DRifteR wrote:I knew some of ya'll before, but there were new faces like ray and sroca who really proved themselves. I look forward to playing with ya'll in the future.

Woohoo! *high fives sroca and frankfrankfrank.*
"It was easy to read the message in his entrails. Man was matter, that was Snowden's secret. Drop him out a window and he'll fall. Set fire to him and he'll burn. Bury him and he'll rot, like other kinds of garbage." -Joseph Heller
raytheruler

Timezone: GMT-6

Postby Diplomat » 11 Nov 2008, 17:16

Nope Ray. You are and were wrong.
Avatar courtesy of TheCraw. Many Thanks.
Diplomat

Postby Grumpy » 26 Nov 2008, 21:13

sroca wrote:Game: World Diplomacy
Winners: Diplomat (Pacific Russia), infinity8ball (India), Yorshireman (South Africa), sroca (Ghana)

I bloody knew it!

I said that would happen, didn't I?

:D

I'm so peeved I couldn't see that one through. Glad it went well, though
"First things first, but not necessarily in that order."

The Doctor.
Grumpy

Timezone: GMT

Postby raytheruler » 26 Nov 2008, 21:45

i only just got cut out. i probably could've hung on if i was actually playing :( but i suppose you are going to say 'i told you so' cuz i lost anyway right?
"It was easy to read the message in his entrails. Man was matter, that was Snowden's secret. Drop him out a window and he'll fall. Set fire to him and he'll burn. Bury him and he'll rot, like other kinds of garbage." -Joseph Heller
raytheruler

Timezone: GMT-6

Postby Grumpy » 26 Nov 2008, 22:09

It's not about "losing," Ray.

It's about failing to crush unworthy opponents under your gilded boots. After your stab, the best you could have ever hoped for was the chance to be a player.

Before it, with our triple alliance, we had the potential to bestride the world like gods.

The profit you made was, as predicted, mediocre.

(Bloody good stab, mind. Gotta respect a man's killer instinct.)

The Doctor.
Grumpy

Postby Diplomat » 26 Nov 2008, 22:16

There were other bestriders out there in the world Grumpy, and had there been a strong NA I can assure you there would have been no break up of MR/Ifni and myself.
Avatar courtesy of TheCraw. Many Thanks.
Diplomat

Postby Grumpy » 26 Nov 2008, 23:00

Aye, 'tis true. Ignorance of the Master of Root Brassicaceae leads only to anguish and defeat in the field of battle - especially when he has his bitches in tow. ;) A weak North America made Asian mastery of the globe inevitable, and that, surely, is the point?

Actually, my biggest regret is that I couldn't see this game out. After the infamous stab I had every intention of demonstrating to Ray that English quality of tenacity which would have f***ed up his chances once and for all but (and I would never had admitted this at the time) I have to admit that his stab was one of the all time greats. To take out two allies who had placed so much trust in him in such a complete, devastating, profitable manner deserves nothing but respect.

The twat.

If it was his own idea it would have been a stroke of genius - but I think I have given him enough credit for now. He deserves to enjoy my respect, and has earned the right to gloat over the fact that it is given grudgingly, even though I stand by my recriminations. His finishing position would have been much better and more honourable if he had stood by the alliance.

The Doctor.
Grumpy

PreviousNext

Return to Game 1