Modern Diplomacy

GM: The Doctor, lotr_freak. Winner - Steppenwulf (Russia)

Modern Diplomacy

Postby Sanguinem » 31 Mar 2009, 06:26

I'm new to this site, but was shocked to see no Modern games running. :cry: Here's a link:
http://www.diplom.org/Zine/W1995A/Mous/Modern.html

10 powers, set in 1995 Europe. I've played it before and it's easily the best map variant I have played. Very balanced with a variety of options for every power. One thing I liked the most was the relative lack of stalemate lines and the ease of north-south movement, especially overland.

There are also Wing units, which can move over land or water, but not capture a SC. If a Wing unit is in a foreign-owned SC at the end of a Fall turn, the SC is considered Blockaded The owner of the SC can't build units there this turn if it's a home SC, and the SC doesn't count towards the controlling power's SC total as long as a Wing unit is blockading it.

Having just got back into Diplomacy after a long hiatus, I'd rather play than host, so is anyone willing to GM?

map notes:
Cairo, Hamburg and Istanbul behave as Kiel and Constantinople did in the original game: they have no coasts but fleets can pass through them to bodies of water of both sides.

There is another canal linking Rostov and Volga, thus permitting access to the Caspian Sea to ships. Rostov is situated along the Don River which empties into the Black Sea, while the Volga empties into the Caspian Sea. In the real world there is a canal at Volgograd linking the two rivers, somewhere in the southern Volga region on the map. This is the only way to get ships into and out of the Caspian Sea.

Iran is the only territory with multiple coasts in the game; the south coast touches the Arabian Sea and the Persian Gulf, while the north coast touches the Caspian Sea.
Sanguinem

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1319
All-game rating: 1377
Timezone: GMT-8

Re: Modern Diplomacy

Postby TheChosen1 » 31 Mar 2009, 08:03

Looks cool!
I'm in.
Raise my karma and I'll maybe raise yours!!!
TheChosen1

All-game rating: 605
Timezone: GMT+2

Postby lotr_freak » 31 Mar 2009, 08:17

I am actually planning on GM'ing a game of modern, but it'll be a week or two probably, to allow me to get the hang of GM'ing first.

I have never heard the wing-unit rule, but I have played this variation before. It was just regular diplomacy, on a different map. I also found it to be very well balanced, and had few, if any, stalemate lines.

I will post a new thread on this in a week or so, when I am ready to start GM'ing it.
"I wish the ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened. So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you."

Gold Member of Classicists
lotr_freak

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (1000)
All-game rating: (1000)
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby Sanguinem » 31 Mar 2009, 08:28

The Wing units are a great equalizer for the weaker powers, usually France, Poland and Britain. They're most useful in coastal and peninsular areas, and France benefits by being able to move until from the Med to the Atlantic overland. For Poland, they give the opportunity to build more than one "fleet" at a time, making it easier to break out of the Baltic in the end game. Britain's main benefit is similar to Poland's; building a Wing instead of a second (or third) fleet in the first year lets Britain use the Wing in an army-type capacity after helping secure the sea zones around the British Isles.

I'm willing to wait a couple weeks to get it started. I have no preferences as to which power I play.
Sanguinem

Postby Magmaniac » 31 Mar 2009, 10:33

I'd only play if the wing rule wasn't used.
Magmaniac

Class: Ambassador
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby deanchuk » 31 Mar 2009, 10:56

looks cool
maby il play :)
so Lotr will GM it :P ?
If you dont see the idiot of Europe, its you
The Playdip community votes:
Most active on forum-Gold
best suggestions-Gold

Manager of "Hey Deanchuk ATE The Young War Doctor Malcolm Smith" best team on league
deanchuk

Class: Ambassador
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby lotr_freak » 31 Mar 2009, 18:40

Yes, I'll GM it, but it'll be a week or so before it gets started.
"I wish the ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened. So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you."

Gold Member of Classicists
lotr_freak

Timezone: GMT-7

Postby Sanguinem » 31 Mar 2009, 21:43

I don't mind playing without the Wing units (although I prefer them). So that makes 4 so far, only 6 to go. Anyone else?
Sanguinem

Postby TheRedArmy » 31 Mar 2009, 22:59

I'm in, either with or without planes. Planes will be a new twist on things, and be interesting to try.
Focus. Control. Conviction. Resolve. A true ace lacks none of these attributes. Nothing can deter you from the task at hand except your own fears.
Proud Member of the Diplomacy League team, The Force.
New to Diplomacy? Join a Mentor Game!
TheRedArmy

Timezone: GMT-6

Postby Jaded Knight » 01 Apr 2009, 02:13

I think i can play, it depends on work at this point. Just give me a heads up when it starts and i can confirm for sure. The modern does look like fun though without having much possibility to stalemate! :)
War does not determine who is right, war determines who is left.
Jaded Knight

Timezone: GMT-5

Next

Return to Game 1