Bug: Fog WitA game not displaying order history correctly

If the judge doesn't behave correctly or you found another problem, report it here!
Forum rules
Bugs
In addition to the general Forum Guidelines (see here: viewtopic.php?f=130&t=15441), there are additional rules for posting in this forum.
1. Members should read the ‘Bugs Forum Guidelines’ thread.
2. In rare situations members have been known to post false bug reports in order to affect the game. This is considered cheating.
3. Please don't post information that might be detrimental to the game, such as revealing the power who sent a message. If further information is required by Admin to investigate the bug, you will be asked to provide it.
If the game a bug may have occurred in is anonymous, including Gunboat and Public Press Only, it is best to send a Private Message to the SITE HELP! group or to post using the Dolph Shtoss account rather than break anonymity.

Bug: Fog WitA game not displaying order history correctly

Postby joe92 » 03 Oct 2019, 10:54

I recently finished this fog game: https://www.playdiplomacy.com/game_play ... _id=159274

In it the order history was not always telling me who cut a support order and sometimes it was. I was Brazil. If you look at the order history of Spring 1889 BC for Brazil you can find the following two orders:

Cordoba SUPPORT Chaco Austral to hold -> Support cut by A - Cordoba
Beni SUPPORT Manaos to Amazonia -> Support cut by A Cuzco - Beni

That first order isn't telling me who cut the support. The second order is.

So it clearly should be telling me who cut the order. I don't know for certain if this impacted me in any meaningful way, although knowing who was cutting orders would have been very useful. If I saw it coming from the same province time after time I could attempt a risky counter attack.

From a developers perspective there's one idea I can think of for what the problem is. Seeing the full order history now I can see the attacking province is La Rioja. It has a space. Perhaps you're using an associative array to loop through? The key has a space, it's broken. Or some other thing like this. If I were a betting man, I'd bet against that space :)

There were some other incorrect orders, although these had no impact on the game as it's obvious what is missing, but in every case there is a space:
Fall 1888, Trinidad MOVE East Caribbean -> Attack broken by F -
Spring 1888, Santo Domingo MOVE Sargasso Sea -> Destroyed by F -
Fall 1889, East Caribbean MOVE Haiti -> Dislodged by F Jamaica -
Designer: Emergence, Modern Extended
GM'ing: Nothing

Platinum Classicist

Taking a break
joe92

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1106)
All-game rating: (1721)
Timezone: GMT

Re: Bug: Fog WitA game not displaying order history correctl

Postby super_dipsy » 03 Oct 2019, 16:34

Thanks Joe. The issue will be just another one of the knock-on issues by WitA using a 4 character short name that mixes upper and lower case for territories rather than the traditional 3 character lower case one. It may be that in the code to view order histories it is still looking for a 3 char name or messing up the cases.
super_dipsy
Premium Member

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1000)
All-game rating: (931)
Timezone: GMT

Return to Bugs