Uncontested Berlin Move Munich an Illegal Move?

If the judge doesn't behave correctly or you found another problem, report it here!
Forum rules
Bugs
In addition to the general Forum Guidelines (see here: viewtopic.php?f=130&t=15441), there are additional rules for posting in this forum.
1. Members should read the ‘Bugs Forum Guidelines’ thread.
2. In rare situations members have been known to post false bug reports in order to affect the game. This is considered cheating.
3. Please don't post information that might be detrimental to the game, such as revealing the power who sent a message. If further information is required by Admin to investigate the bug, you will be asked to provide it.
If the game a bug may have occurred in is anonymous, including Gunboat and Public Press Only, it is best to send a Private Message to the SITE HELP! group or to post using the Dolph Shtoss account rather than break anonymity.

Uncontested Berlin Move Munich an Illegal Move?

Postby PonderStibbons » 16 Jul 2018, 06:14

In the Fall 1906 order resolution phase of Inferno (game number: 145645) a legal order (Army Berlin move Munich) was declared illegal. I checked the order history and contrary to my expectations none of my other units were ordered into Munich. did find one other order which was rightly declared illegal (Army Denmark move Berlin) and suspect this may be what triggered the error. This bug has had a large effect on the game, costing me one supply centre in a fall turn, and from follow on effects will cost me one to three centres depending on the actions of the player whose only remaining centre was Munich, which I attempted to take with a triply supported attac) by Winter 1907. If this is a bug (I've done some research and I'm pretty sure but as you may have guessed from my attempt to move Denmark to Berlin I am a new player) I would very much appreciate a correction. The game is currently in the Fall 1906 retreat phase and will be for the next 8 hours.
Thanks,
P.S.
PonderStibbons

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (980)
All-game rating: (1157)
Timezone: GMT

Re: Uncontested Berlin Move Munich an Illegal Move?

Postby Don Juan of Austria » 16 Jul 2018, 06:54

It looks like a bug to me too. Unless I missed something....
"In everything, moderation". ~Aristotle
A proud member of the Whippersnappers,
Bronze Classicists,
Lancer in the PBF cavalry.

Ireland in Heptarchy 16!
Don Juan of Toledo in Diplomacy for Dukes and Popes!
Don Juan of Austria

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1047)
All-game rating: (1160)
Timezone: GMT+2

Postby super_dipsy » 16 Jul 2018, 06:56

Am I right in thinking you used the new Manual Override function to input your order?
super_dipsy
Premium Member

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 1000
All-game rating: 931

Postby PonderStibbons » 16 Jul 2018, 07:03

Not for my whole turn but for some of the Scandinavia/North Germany moves (I don't remember exactly which ones) I did.

P.S.
PonderStibbons

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (980)
All-game rating: (1157)

Postby super_dipsy » 16 Jul 2018, 07:09

Yeah, thought so. The problem is that you hit a bug in the new BETA level manual orders facility. The code is probably going to have some teething problems, which is why it is Beta and why it warns players to check their orders each time you use it to make sure they are what they were supposed to be. I suspect that the problem actually occurred during a Build phase where the manual orders interface did not build you the right thing, I am checking now. If it is possible for me to sort it out I will, but it may not be. Sorry about this :(
super_dipsy
Premium Member

Postby super_dipsy » 16 Jul 2018, 07:53

Actually, I am not sure you could have spotted it had gone wrong. Problem is when you built in St P in 1904, the manual orders interface hit a bug and built a you a unit with no type! It shows up on the map as an army, but as far as the submitting orders goes the system thinks it must be a fleet. So you didn't see the problem until now because all the previous moves of the unit were valid fleet moves. But of course trying to move a fleet from Berlin to Munich doesn't work!

I haven't found the bug in the manual orders code yet, but I have put some code in to prevent it getting to the database. Fortunately (but not for you :( ) this has only happened the once. If it happens again to anyone before I find the bug, they will get an alert warning them to try again because something went wrong.

I am now going to look at the game, but unless we are lucky it is going to be difficult to sort it. Can you confirm to me what unit yu MEANT to build in 1904 in St P? Did you mean to build a fleet on South Coast, or was it an army you were trying to build?
super_dipsy
Premium Member

Postby condude1 » 16 Jul 2018, 07:57

Wait a second. Does that mean that's actually a fleet in disguise? How can I get me one of those things? "Why yes, my army in Norway is totally on your side Germany! No, he'd NEEEEEEVER attack you, he can't swim!"

Ninjaed on the serious part. Was just about to say what Dipsy wrote!
Telleo wrote:I don't think I've ever met someone who more perfectly embodied Chaotic Neutral than Condude1.

Moderator of the Mafia Subforums!

Silver member of The Classicists!
condude1

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1368)
All-game rating: (1307)
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby super_dipsy » 16 Jul 2018, 08:00

condude1 wrote:Wait a second. Does that mean that's actually a fleet in disguise? How can I get me one of those things? "Why yes, my army in Norway is totally on your side Germany! No, he'd NEEEEEEVER attack you, he can't swim!"

:lol: Maybe we should introduce cloaking! At least in Stuff Happens, anyway

OK, I can reproduce the bug so I can fix it. It only happens with builds in coastal provinces which is why noone else has seen it yet (these are far less frequent).
super_dipsy
Premium Member

Postby super_dipsy » 16 Jul 2018, 08:39

Ponder, I'm going to PM you.
super_dipsy
Premium Member

Return to Bugs