Site problems - FOUND IT!!!

If the judge doesn't behave correctly or you found another problem, report it here!
Forum rules
Bugs
In addition to the general Forum Guidelines (see here: viewtopic.php?f=130&t=15441), there are additional rules for posting in this forum.
1. Members should read the ‘Bugs Forum Guidelines’ thread.
2. In rare situations members have been known to post false bug reports in order to affect the game. This is considered cheating.
3. Please don't post information that might be detrimental to the game, such as revealing the power who sent a message. If further information is required by Admin to investigate the bug, you will be asked to provide it.
If the game a bug may have occurred in is anonymous, including Gunboat and Public Press Only, it is best to send a Private Message to the SITE HELP! group or to post using the Dolph Shtoss account rather than break anonymity.

Re: Site problems - FOUND IT!!!

Postby uzes90 » 29 Dec 2017, 16:58

I love 10 year old bugs. What are the odds on that?
Should it be equivalent to a 100 year flood?

BTW, have you checked the code for the next leap year falling on a century? ;)
uzes90
Premium Member

Location: ...appears here and there - now and then - to this one and that one...
Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 1000
All-game rating: 2315
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby Olive Branch » 29 Dec 2017, 17:08

can I assume that me not being able to access the site for the past few hours (until about 15 minutes ago!) is nothing to do with these issues? (Been able to access all other websites, fine - I assume, I didn't try them ALL - but "page not found" for PlayDip.)

:/
Olive Branch

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1746
All-game rating: 1890
Timezone: GMT+7

Postby super_dipsy » 29 Dec 2017, 17:38

The site hiccuped for about 15 minutes or so about 2 hours ago, but I think your access problems were probably the bug. Since it was causing games to loop in processing if they had weekends and NYD as exceptions, these were chewing up the resources until they timed out. This would make the site very slooooow and was the reason it eventually hiccuped.

Hopefully you should be cool now
super_dipsy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Standard rating: (1000)
All-game rating: (956)
Timezone: GMT

Postby Mart1947 » 30 Dec 2017, 00:18

138101 seems to have stopped. I assume it's the same problem.
Mart1947

Standard rating: 908
All-game rating: 909

Postby Olive Branch » 31 Dec 2017, 07:03

Dipsy,

I'm back on the site after a year off. I'm actually finding it running very slow all the time - for a week now! After I click on a unit to give it an order, sometimes it'll take forever for the options to appear, then if I click Move and select unit it invites me to select destination, but when I do it then takes an age to register this... so long that I get tired of waiting... refresh screen... go out, come back... close site, reopen... restart computer... issues persist.

Any ideas?
Olive Branch

Postby super_dipsy » 31 Dec 2017, 08:21

Mart1947 wrote:138101 seems to have stopped. I assume it's the same problem.

Damn. I missed that one when we got everything sorted. It would have just sat there for ever, it should move on as normal now, sorry. Can't see any more I have missed, so hopefully that was the last one.

Olive Branch wrote:Dipsy,

I'm back on the site after a year off. I'm actually finding it running very slow all the time - for a week now! After I click on a unit to give it an order, sometimes it'll take forever for the options to appear, then if I click Move and select unit it invites me to select destination, but when I do it then takes an age to register this... so long that I get tired of waiting... refresh screen... go out, come back... close site, reopen... restart computer... issues persist.

Any ideas?

If it was from before we fixed the issue on Friday, that could have been the loops I mentioned. If it is since then, then it is not that. For me the site is running absolutely fine now. Certainly there is no reason for it to take forever to respond when you enter an order - that is a simple piece of code, it isn't doing anything particularly resource hungry. Here is a couple of things to try:

1. Clear your browser cache. This is probably the most important thing to try.
2. If you run an AdBlocker, just try turning it off and seeing if that makes a difference? It shouldn't do, but sometimes I have heard there can be issues with some AdBlockers that slow everything down.

By the way, I logged in as you and moved a unit in one of your games where you had not made any moves yet. I then changed it back to a Hold, but you will probably see in the game that rather than not having received orders yet it is listed as being ordered to Hold! Hope that was OK, but I thought I would mention it so as not to confuse you :) Anyway, when I did it there was no perceptible delay at all; the ordering seemed instantaneous.

I have one other idea - what browser are you using? For the new order buttons, we use some Javascript stuff and it is possible that if you are on a very back level of some browsers it might be an issue, although frankly if that was the problem I would expect it to never work as opposed to work slowly.
super_dipsy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Olive Branch » 31 Dec 2017, 10:34

super_dipsy wrote:1. Clear your browser cache. This is probably the most important thing to try.
2. If you run an AdBlocker, just try turning it off and seeing if that makes a difference? It shouldn't do, but sometimes I have heard there can be issues with some AdBlockers that slow everything down.

Did both of these. The browser I'm using is Chrome, but that's the same as I was using when I was last on the site. The computer is the same. The wifi is different, but as I say I am experiencing no issues with other sites. The one other thing that has changed is I now use a VPN. However, even after I do the above, and turn my VPN off, it's actually made it slower, if anything!

It's not literally EVERY time I click, but I'd say it's definitely more often than 1 in 3, and possible more often than 1 in 2. So frustrating...
Olive Branch

Postby super_dipsy » 31 Dec 2017, 17:22

Very sorry to hear that. I'm lost for ideas I'm afraid. What you could do at some point is to try a different network/computer if you happen to be out and about or try your phone when you are not on your local wifi. Just to confirm it is your local environment. After that, the only thing I can think of is asking your ISP :(
super_dipsy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Olive Branch » 01 Jan 2018, 06:05

it's not an issue on my phone... which would suggest the problem is with my computer or wifi... but again, I have no issues using my computer/wifi on other sites...
Olive Branch

Postby super_dipsy » 01 Jan 2018, 07:20

Olive Branch wrote:it's not an issue on my phone... which would suggest the problem is with my computer or wifi... but again, I have no issues using my computer/wifi on other sites...

Ah, that helps. So when you say it is OK on your phone, have you tried your phone on your local wifi (in other words the same way your computer hooks up)? Does it then show the same issues too? If so, then it sounds to me like your ISP is for some reason downgrading our site. This usually happens when the ISP algorithms determine that it thinks the site is a spammer. This would explain why other sites seem fine for you. If this is the case it might be worth talking to your ISP; they often have a way you can put a site on the white list to avoid the issue.

If using your phone locally (on your home wifi) does NOT show the issue, then it is something in your computer. One thing that pops into mind that can screw up things locally is cookies. The site uses cookies, and if you have cookies disabled it can give it a headache. Or if the cookies get corrupted although I am not expert with cookies and I'm not even sure how you fix them if they have gone bad.

Sorry, not much help really :(
super_dipsy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Bugs