To identify or not to identify

Where the +40 get together to play cards... err, Diplomacy

Moderators: Wellington, Crunkus_old

Forum rules
The Oldies group is an official Forum group. If you want to join, go to your User Control Panel and click on Usergroups. Scroll down to groups under 'Non-memberships' and apply there. The Group Leader will deal with the application when possible.

What level of anonymity do you prefer for future Oldies games?

None. I prefer non-anonymous games (Game type Regular: players and countries are known)
20%
Anonymous Countries (players in game are known, but not who controls which country)
7%
Anonymous Players (players and countries are anonymous)
13%
Mixed. I prefer the anonymity to vary among the above alternatives game-by-game.
27%
Don't care. I have no preference; will play regardless of anonymity setting.
33%

Total votes : 15

To identify or not to identify

Postby Wellington » 01 Dec 2015, 03:26

Do you prefer anonymous games?
Wellington

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (924)
All-game rating: (929)
Timezone: GMT+9

Re: To identify or not to identify

Postby bindlestiff » 01 Dec 2015, 05:08

I don't mind Anonymous Player games, but I confess I have never played an Anonymous Countries game, as I cannot for the life of me figure out how it can possibly work. I don't form alliances based on the player, but on the country he or she is playing. If I have an ally, how can I possibly offer or request support if I have no idea where his or her units are?

Can someone please explain to this admittedly dense Oldie how this variant works?
-- bindlestiff
-- Platinum Classicist, Star Ambassador, card-carrying Oldie, and all-around prince of a guy

"La parole nous a été donnée pour déguiser notre pensée." (We were given speech to hide our thoughts.)
-- Charles Maurice de Talleyrand-Périgord
bindlestiff
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1325
All-game rating: 1401
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby Wellington » 01 Dec 2015, 05:43

Maybe I worded the answers poorly. In an Anonymous Country game the countries are still visible, and private messages and Public Press are identified by sending country (except when the Press sender chooses the anonymous option), but the game does not identify which player is playing which country. Players in the game are listed on the game information page, but there is no association between the players and countries. So in an Anonymous Countries game, I would know I'm playing with Tom, Dick, Mary, and three other known players, but there would be no definite way of telling whether or not Tom was England, Dick was Italy, etc.
Wellington

Standard rating: (924)
All-game rating: (929)
Timezone: GMT+9

Postby bindlestiff » 01 Dec 2015, 06:09

That makes perfect sense. How stupid of me.
-- bindlestiff
-- Platinum Classicist, Star Ambassador, card-carrying Oldie, and all-around prince of a guy

"La parole nous a été donnée pour déguiser notre pensée." (We were given speech to hide our thoughts.)
-- Charles Maurice de Talleyrand-Périgord
bindlestiff
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1325
All-game rating: 1401
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby Kra » 01 Dec 2015, 07:06

I have a small preference to open games since I enjoy the social banter without concerns about violating the anon,
But all three are interesting and do have a different flavor.
In anon countries, it is natural for me and I assume for many to play detective and guess who is who.
And it can influence me if a change in alliances needs to be made if I know or guess some one draws 50% and someone else is a soloist. It might be differnt choices at different times tho! ie that factor is circumstance dependent.
Having just played PDET anon anon with large numbers of players I did not know before and where the standards of maintaining anonymity were kept very high; It did partially eliminate that factor. But it did limit the personal element to the messaging to some degree sometimes. I understand some people were very good at being detective in that environment as well.

But for me the ID factor would not effect me on who I will initially ally with. And unlike bindlestiff' s comment, I am influenced by the player as represented in that particular game as well or more than the country. I assume like in FTF, the prior knowledge of a player would contribute as well, but by no means determine my decision.
Kra

Standard rating: (1531)
All-game rating: (1553)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby Carebear » 01 Dec 2015, 11:01

Kra wrote:In anon countries, it is natural for me and I assume for many to play detective and guess who is who.

I have participated in one anonymous countries game. It was an invitational, which I think ensured a high level of communication. It was fun trying to figure out who was playing each country, kind of a side game.

I prefer it over anonymous players as it helps mitigate metagaming as you can double check the players' common games.
You can have my last supply center, when you pry it from my cold dead hands.

Spam Ambassador Wannabe

Officially Sanctioned Site Gadfly (meaning the negative kind of sanction)
Carebear

Standard rating: (1573)
All-game rating: (1589)
Timezone: GMT+8

Postby Kra » 02 Dec 2015, 03:22

@CB, your are an oldie, not just experienced!?!
Better go look at this membership list, lol.
Kra

Standard rating: (1531)
All-game rating: (1553)

Postby Pete the Great » 15 Mar 2019, 13:06

So long as anonymity is maintained, either is a nice way to play ranked games with people you've enjoyed playing with in the past and not be accused of violating the metagaming cheating rules. If your new to online play, then it serves no purpose as you know none of the players anyway.
Pete the Great
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1071
All-game rating: 1064

Return to Oldies