Seven Tips for Better PLANNING

What are your winning tactics? Kill them all? Discuss strategy for the classic and variant games using the classic map, or visit the sub-forums for the variant maps.
Forum rules
Strategy
In addition to the general Forum Guidelines (see here: http://www.playdiplomacy.com/forum/view ... 30&t=15441), there are additional rules for posting in this forum.
1. When discussing strategy, reference should not be made to any active game. This section of the Forum is for general strategy discussion, not specific situations within games.
2. It follows that links, images, game name and/or number should not be added to a post if the game is active.
Posts which refer to a specific situation in an active game, or which link directly to an active game, are subject to editing or removal.

Seven Tips for Better PLANNING

Postby Malarky » 09 Nov 2020, 13:25

OK, I said I had the idea for a series of seven articles, each dealing with an aspect of Diplomacy, and each having seven tips. The first such article was on messaging, communication.

Well, I developed the idea and I've found my seven aspects of Dip. I've put the plan for each in place and, as I've time off work this week (thanks to Covid-19 shutting us down temporarily) I've started working on the others. So here's the second instalment. It's more a matter of taste than the first, but anyway: Seven Tips for Better Planning.

To whet your appetite, here're the 'highlights':
1. Plan to survive.
    - The first thing you need to do is plan how you’re going to survive the Early Game. That means needing to find a reliable ally.
    - The chances are it will come down to which player makes the best offer. How do you manage to do this?
    - You can’t afford to offer your way out of the game. You need to make a decision about where you need to go. The other thing about surviving the Early Game is to make sure you’re growing.
2. Plan to win.
    - There are some weird ideas out there about what ‘winning’ is in Diplomacy. People talk about a ‘shared win’; this is a draw. They talk about surviving to the end of the game: this may well be a draw.
3. Having a Grand Strategy.
    - Your Grand Strategy is about which SCs you want to take, when you will need to take them and how.
    - Producing a Grand Strategy is something a lot of players don’t do, certainly in this detail. However, this can be down to experience; as you play the game more, you make these decisions pretty quickly.
4. Making your Grand Strategy flexible.
    - The goal of this is flexibility. We’re not talking downward dog, though. You need to be prepared to change your plans if they aren’t working out. Something might happen beyond your control; if you can’t be flexible, you're going to fracture.
5. Adapting to reality.
    - There comes a point in a Diplomacy game where you have to recognise that, no matter how much you want to carry on regardless, you can’t.
    - Being a Kingmaker should be the last resort of the beyond desperate. You can threaten it when writing to the player(s) that stabbed you without really meaning it, of course, to see what they do. But if backed towards the edge of the cliff, you need to be prepared to jump.
    - There’s no doubt that creating a Grand Alliance is a difficult thing. But it can be a necessity if you aren’t going to lose a game.
6. Having a Campaign Strategy.
    - When you’re planning a campaign, there are a number of factors to consider: Should you launch the campaign? If you’re going ahead with it, what units will you need? Where will those units need to be on the board? How will you end the campaign?
    - Be economic with the units you use. Only use the units you need and those you need to hold onto your gains. And this means knowing which units you need to deal with the geography of the board.
    - However, if it’s possible, sometimes keeping a player alive in the game may be to your advantage. A defeated player may well be looking for a chance to survive and you may be the only person with a life belt.
7. Playing without a plan.
    - What I’m saying is that players do use this type of planning without necessarily acknowledging it. It’s often based on experience and not everybody has that experience.
Last edited by Malarky on 09 Nov 2020, 18:43, edited 1 time in total.
Respect neither opinions nor beliefs; only respect the person and the right to express them.
Play by the rules but be ferocious.
The Playdiplomacy Guide
Across the Whole Board
Malarky
Premium Member

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: 918
All-game rating: 1029
Timezone: GMT

Re: Seven Tips for Better PLANNING

Postby Audacia » 09 Nov 2020, 16:45

Malarky - This series is so wonderful. Thank you for all you are doing for the Diplomacy world. It is very generous of you. Really enjoying these :D .

-Audacia
Audacia
Premium Member

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1015
All-game rating: 1000
Timezone: GMT-5

Return to Diplomacy Strategy