Page 1 of 2

Strategic Maxims

PostPosted: 07 Oct 2020, 21:40
by FloridaMan
Greetings Diplomacy strategy nerds! :geek:

I begin this post with affection. I too am a Diplomacy strategy nerd. Geek? Nerd? Anyway, I am one of you. That's why I created a YouTube channel about Diplomacy, after all.
I'm the geekiest of the Diplomacy geeks, or the nerdiest of the Diplomacy nerds... :ugeek:

What I'm interested in with this post are good ideas for strategic concepts that I can make videos out of. I have lots of ideas already, but I'm very interested in knowing what the PlayDiplomacy community would value seeing discussed on my channel. You can look at my Strategic Maxims playlist if you want to get an idea of what I've been covering already: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... g6OcD1ckGq

It's mostly stuff from The 48 Laws of Power or The Prince, but it's going to gradually represent an increasing proportion of more original ideas that are not sourced from a specific book.

In the spirit of original ideas being discussed: What are some strategic concepts you think don't get enough attention, or are not as widely understood as they should be, that deserve to be more widely discussed in the Dip community?

Re: Strategic Maxims

PostPosted: 07 Oct 2020, 23:13
by Jack007
It's all about psychology I would say. So maybe that's an interesting field to explore. No?

:?

Re: Strategic Maxims

PostPosted: 08 Oct 2020, 02:27
by sroca
Mostly replying to say that I like the new avatar. ;)

Are there any that deal with that deal with intelligence concepts? Basically information management. Pushing countries to ally with other countries and trying to set up the wars by handing about information. Or if you're wanting to appear compliant with some move but not wanting it to succeed so you leak information to your enemy about that specific move. Meanwhile you wade through the path of least resistance (least amount of conflict) while other countries battle it out and you silently grow.

Re: Strategic Maxims

PostPosted: 08 Oct 2020, 09:12
by Solar Flare
FloridaMan wrote:What are some strategic concepts you think don't get enough attention


6-way alliances...

You know, the like of which I always try to form when I'm in a game with you...

;)

Re: Strategic Maxims

PostPosted: 08 Oct 2020, 12:00
by Phlegmatic
Fight on one front at a time with overwhelming force and use diplomatic means to defend your other borders, as per the Schlieffen Plan. https://www.britannica.com/event/Schlieffen-Plan

Re: Strategic Maxims

PostPosted: 08 Oct 2020, 13:23
by Audacia
Love the new avatar.

Re: Strategic Maxims

PostPosted: 08 Oct 2020, 22:59
by UM85
Play the Virgin Queen - Definition. Part 2: "Do not let people drag you into their petty fights and squabbles. Seem interested and supportive, but find a way to remain neutral; let others do the fighting while you stand back, watch and wait. When the fighting parties are good and tired they will be ripe for the picking. You can make it a practice, in fact to stir up quarrels between other people, and then offer to mediate, gaining power as the go between."

An excellent strategy, Audacia. One must be VERY good in correspondence.

Re: Strategic Maxims

PostPosted: 09 Oct 2020, 15:07
by Big Gun
FM - your new Avatar is splendid and motivating!

As you've hinted already in another place, a series on strategic options for some of the more popular variant maps would be cool. Ancient Med, WitA, Versailles and even Hundred would be obvious choices for this website.

I love your YouTube videos and admire your dedication to the hobby.

Happy to chat on Zoom soon, if you like?

BG

Re: Strategic Maxims

PostPosted: 09 Oct 2020, 18:02
by FloridaMan
Jack007 wrote:It's all about psychology I would say. So maybe that's an interesting field to explore. No?

:?

I think that's probably true. Anything more specific?

Re: Strategic Maxims

PostPosted: 09 Oct 2020, 18:32
by FloridaMan
sroca wrote:Mostly replying to say that I like the new avatar. ;)

Are there any that deal with that deal with intelligence concepts? Basically information management. Pushing countries to ally with other countries and trying to set up the wars by handing about information. Or if you're wanting to appear compliant with some move but not wanting it to succeed so you leak information to your enemy about that specific move. Meanwhile you wade through the path of least resistance (least amount of conflict) while other countries battle it out and you silently grow.

I'm glad you enjoy it 8-)

There might be some in Sun Tzu's Art of War, or Robert Greene's 33 Strategies of War. Intelligence is definitely important, and I haven't discussed that at all.