Playing to Survive

What are your winning tactics? Kill them all? Discuss strategy for the classic and variant games using the classic map, or visit the sub-forums for the variant maps.
Forum rules
Strategy
In addition to the general Forum Guidelines (see here: http://www.playdiplomacy.com/forum/view ... 30&t=15441), there are additional rules for posting in this forum.
1. When discussing strategy, reference should not be made to any active game. This section of the Forum is for general strategy discussion, not specific situations within games.
2. It follows that links, images, game name and/or number should not be added to a post if the game is active.
Posts which refer to a specific situation in an active game, or which link directly to an active game, are subject to editing or removal.

Playing to Survive

Postby BaronRichard » 24 Jul 2020, 02:21

(I've gone back in the Forum over five years, and haven't seen anything that looks like this. So I thought I'd ask....)

Well, things didn't go well for you at all, did they.

You bungled your first builds (wrong units, wrong places), didn't see alliances coming, misread other players intentions towards you, and now you're down to three units - at most.

But you have been having a great time playing, and you want to keep going as long as you can. Even though there's no chance at all you can have an affect on the final outcome, and can get wiped out in a few turns if all your neighbors gang up on you.

What's your strategy for sticking around as long as possible, with just simply mutually supporting all your units to Hold in place?
BaronRichard
Premium Member

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: 1041
All-game rating: 1042
Timezone: GMT

Re: Playing to Survive

Postby ruffdove » 24 Jul 2020, 03:28

I find your core premise--that a 1-3 unit power cannot have any significant effect or an outcome and is powerless to take a share of a draw or even make a comeback--to be fundamentally flawed.

However, since your question applies to all down-on-their-luck powers and not just the ones that have given up hope, I would suggest the following:
1) Communicate constantly and with everyone. Even people who don't return your messages. Be funny. He helpful. Make yourself someone that others don't want to see gone. Probe for as many possibilities for help, peace, and alliance as you can find.
2) Look for a way to make yourself valuable to someone. This includes finding a way to make yourself a threat to someone.
3) Look for a key position that can be defended.
4) Hang on for dear life to as many home centers as you can--they're usually the only place you can build if you start to make a comeback
ruffdove
Premium Member

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1607
All-game rating: 1655
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby bratsffl » 24 Jul 2020, 03:30

While I do believe in the chip and a chair for the most part, occasionally I'll go MADD, or it's subtle cousin KingMaker
Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?
Never surrender

Oldie
Classicists
bratsffl
Premium Member

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 933
All-game rating: 1302

Postby Verse9 » 24 Jul 2020, 05:09

become one of you neighbor's front line so you are positioned in a way that if they take your centers from you their front line (you) collapses.

and make sure they know it.
Verse9
Premium Member

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 1378
All-game rating: 1397

Return to Diplomacy Strategy