Playing mid-game defense

What are your winning tactics? Kill them all? Discuss strategy for the classic and variant games using the classic map, or visit the sub-forums for the variant maps.
Forum rules
Strategy
In addition to the general Forum Guidelines (see here: http://www.playdiplomacy.com/forum/view ... 30&t=15441), there are additional rules for posting in this forum.
1. When discussing strategy, reference should not be made to any active game. This section of the Forum is for general strategy discussion, not specific situations within games.
2. It follows that links, images, game name and/or number should not be added to a post if the game is active.
Posts which refer to a specific situation in an active game, or which link directly to an active game, are subject to editing or removal.

Playing mid-game defense

Postby hsiale » 10 Jul 2020, 18:01

There are many opening guides all over the internet, as a beginning player I read a lot of them and partly thanks to this in all of my first 3 games I survived into midgame in decent shape. There are also some articles on how to convert a good situation into a solo win or how to prevent someone else from doing this, so far I have not yet been in a position to start using them.

But what I cannot find anywhere is some tips of mid-game defense - general rules on what to do when there are 3-5 countries left on the map, everyone allies against you, together they are stronger and you want to survive and buy yourself as much time as possible to try and crack the opposing alliance's unity via diplomatic means, or simply showing some of them that there are easier places for conquest than you. Do you know of some source of such knowledge I might have missed?
hsiale

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 995
All-game rating: 996
Timezone: GMT+1

Re: Playing mid-game defense

Postby hedge trimmer » 10 Jul 2020, 23:23

Generally it's very hard to defend against such an alliance for long. I tend to focus all my attention on defending against one side, while trying to convince them that they should instead just let you defend against the other people before they get all your centers.

Instead you should be making sure your early game alliances last outside the early game, so the situation won't turn into an everyone vs you situation in the first place. Are you communicating enough? Are you making sure you're not making pointless small stabs that cause everyone to turn against you?
Silent and deadly Loud and annoying
hedge trimmer

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1454
All-game rating: 1480
Timezone: GMT+2

Return to Diplomacy Strategy