Is Versailles unbalanced?

What are your winning tactics? Kill them all? Discuss strategy for the classic and variant games using the classic map, or visit the sub-forums for the variant maps.
Forum rules
Strategy
In addition to the general Forum Guidelines (see here: http://www.playdiplomacy.com/forum/view ... 30&t=15441), there are additional rules for posting in this forum.
1. When discussing strategy, reference should not be made to any active game. This section of the Forum is for general strategy discussion, not specific situations within games.
2. It follows that links, images, game name and/or number should not be added to a post if the game is active.
Posts which refer to a specific situation in an active game, or which link directly to an active game, are subject to editing or removal.

Re: Is Versailles unbalanced?

Postby ColonelApricot » 16 Jun 2020, 00:50

I'm glad you are taking the suggestion seriously. It IS a popular variant so it's a pity that it's such a mess.

Bearing in mind the demands on the development resource perhaps a volunteer could be found to perform a technical feasibility analysis as a first step. In my experience these situations are best remediated by a stepwise process that preserves the existing functionality while upgrading the code base to the point where enhancements can be confidently applied.

I'm sure there would be plenty of volunteers available to test each step as it is delivered (myself for one).

.. CA
Dog of War in ToS
GRU of the Despicables in TTT
ColonelApricot

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1010
All-game rating: 1400
Timezone: GMT

Re: Is Versailles unbalanced?

Postby NoPunIn10Did » 16 Jun 2020, 04:37

ColonelApricot wrote:I'm glad you are taking the suggestion seriously. It IS a popular variant so it's a pity that it's such a mess.

Bearing in mind the demands on the development resource perhaps a volunteer could be found to perform a technical feasibility analysis as a first step. In my experience these situations are best remediated by a stepwise process that preserves the existing functionality while upgrading the code base to the point where enhancements can be confidently applied.

I'm sure there would be plenty of volunteers available to test each step as it is delivered (myself for one).

.. CA

If we can ever convince the site owner to allow the code to be open-source, that might be a possibility. Until then, /shrug.
Forum Admin & New Variant Development Assistant

Variant GM & Designer
NoPunIn10Did

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1000)
All-game rating: (1466)
Timezone: GMT-5

Previous

Return to Diplomacy Strategy