WitA strategy

What are your winning tactics? Kill them all? Discuss strategy for the classic and variant games using the classic map, or visit the sub-forums for the variant maps.
Forum rules
Strategy
In addition to the general Forum Guidelines (see here: http://www.playdiplomacy.com/forum/view ... 30&t=15441), there are additional rules for posting in this forum.
1. When discussing strategy, reference should not be made to any active game. This section of the Forum is for general strategy discussion, not specific situations within games.
2. It follows that links, images, game name and/or number should not be added to a post if the game is active.
Posts which refer to a specific situation in an active game, or which link directly to an active game, are subject to editing or removal.

WitA strategy

Postby Lilsuperman32 » 10 Jun 2020, 21:55

I haven't seen any strategy for the War in the Americas variant, so I thought I would start a thread.

Which are the best starting positions? What are the ideal opening moves?

Britain has a strange starting position. What should they do?
Lilsuperman32
Premium Member

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: 972
All-game rating: 922
Timezone: GMT-6

Re: WitA strategy

Postby Charleroi » 11 Jun 2020, 00:52

I don’t have a global theory of WitA, but I do think it’s a pretty flexible map. Britain, for example, has a lot of options. You can devote to one or two theaters and become a regional power or try to be active in all three. The only *wrong* option, as far as I have seen, is for Britain to try to grow everywhere early. I would recommend that Britain only grow a few centers in the first two years. Early leader syndrome is deadly. If Britain grows too quickly, everyone else will agree to cut him down to size. And because his force is so widely dispersed, he has even less ability to defend a strong opening than a more traditional power. For example, France in traditional dip can get a three build ‘01 and have few problems. But Britain cannot double up in WitA without inviting serious trouble.
Charleroi
Premium Member

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1554
All-game rating: 1723

Postby Tortellacci » 11 Jun 2020, 09:46

I'd like to second the itch for good WitA strategy. The variant's always been interesting to me.
Tortellacci
Premium Member

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1243
All-game rating: 1528
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby Lilsuperman32 » 11 Jun 2020, 22:03

Tortellacci wrote:I'd like to second the itch for good WitA strategy. The variant's always been interesting to me.

I'm surprised that there is very little info for it. It's an incredibly interesting map. I would like to know the stats for winning countries, etc. Obviously it has been played way less than classic diplomacy so there's less information available, but I haven't really found a group of supporters for it.

I would be willing to to start a page for it, I'm just not sure where to do that.
Lilsuperman32
Premium Member

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: 972
All-game rating: 922

Return to Diplomacy Strategy