Mercenary unit

What are your winning tactics? Kill them all? Discuss strategy for the classic and variant games using the classic map, or visit the sub-forums for the variant maps.
Forum rules
Strategy
In addition to the general Forum Guidelines (see here: http://www.playdiplomacy.com/forum/view ... 30&t=15441), there are additional rules for posting in this forum.
1. When discussing strategy, reference should not be made to any active game. This section of the Forum is for general strategy discussion, not specific situations within games.
2. It follows that links, images, game name and/or number should not be added to a post if the game is active.
Posts which refer to a specific situation in an active game, or which link directly to an active game, are subject to editing or removal.

Mercenary unit

Postby Lathuvan » 07 May 2020, 11:09

In a game I'm in, as Germany, it's 1904 and both sides of the board are fighting a tough and slow battle. I'm heavily considering to send a unit east, on an adventure. I've heard about such mercenary units before and I'm looking for good reading material about them. General tips are also welcome (other than the obvious 'don't get trapped'). Does anyone know where to find a good article?
Lathuvan

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (972)
All-game rating: (972)
Timezone: GMT+1

Re: Mercenary unit

Postby Thyrfing » 07 May 2020, 12:01

It is generally discouraged to talk about ongoing games. Even if you aren't giving details (which is good) the players in the game could know or identify the game you're talking about. I would suggest to just remove the first sentence, that'd be good.

I'ts an interesting topic for discussion, a unit in the back of your military line is certainly a huge pain. Even if it can't do much, usually it can pin down one or two units of whoever is on the receiving end.
But I've certainly played/received this in a lot of gunboat games. Then again in regular dip your units are usually too busy to be going on adventures. But it happens, and actually gives a bigger negotiation leverage than you might expect beforehand.
Thyrfing
Premium Member

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1663
All-game rating: 1874
Timezone: GMT+1

Postby Pope Pius IX » 07 May 2020, 18:24

I think the concept is mentioned, albeit very briefly, by Richard Sharp? All I can recall (and even this may be wrong) is that he said something like, "it's an interesting experiment but it has not yet, perhaps, reached its logical conclusion". Or similar.
Silver Classicist.
Head of the Roman Catholic Church.
Pope Pius IX

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 1219
All-game rating: 1221
Timezone: GMT

Postby ruffdove » 07 May 2020, 20:28

It’s possible for such units to be decisive. In the end of a FTF game I played in, it came down to Italy vs Germany along the stalemate line except that Earleir in the game, Italy got a fleet into the MAO and from there to NAO. The German made a good effort to trap that rogue fleet with what fleets he could spare from conquest and later the stalemate line, but in the end it managed to put into Holland for an 18th center.
ruffdove
Premium Member

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1530
All-game rating: 1579
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby jay65536 » 07 May 2020, 20:57

http://www.diplomacy-archive.com/resour ... ssador.htm

Short, but to the point, and contains links to the original Scatter Theory articles by Nicky Palmer.
jay65536

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1120)
All-game rating: (1126)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby Lathuvan » 08 May 2020, 21:32

Thanks.
Lathuvan

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (972)
All-game rating: (972)