The Power of Flattery

What are your winning tactics? Kill them all? Discuss strategy for the classic and variant games using the classic map, or visit the sub-forums for the variant maps.
Forum rules
Strategy
In addition to the general Forum Guidelines (see here: http://www.playdiplomacy.com/forum/view ... 30&t=15441), there are additional rules for posting in this forum.
1. When discussing strategy, reference should not be made to any active game. This section of the Forum is for general strategy discussion, not specific situations within games.
2. It follows that links, images, game name and/or number should not be added to a post if the game is active.
Posts which refer to a specific situation in an active game, or which link directly to an active game, are subject to editing or removal.

The Power of Flattery

Postby umbletheheep » 29 Mar 2020, 02:06

In this week's Briefing, I focused in on using flattery in your diplomacy games.

What was your most shameless time that you used flattery?

Also, be sure to subscribe to follow along - http://diplomacybriefing.com
I produce a weekly diplomacy email called The Briefing. Subscribe at http://www.diplomacybriefing.com
umbletheheep

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1044)
All-game rating: (1043)
Timezone: GMT-6

Re: The Power of Flattery

Postby UM85 » 29 Mar 2020, 06:13

I remember one game I was playing England. I was allied with Italy. Austria was the dominant force on the board. Italy was not a strong player and had gotten itself badly out of position with pieces in the eastern Balkans and in Spain/Portugal but very weak in the middle. I desperately needed Italy to blunt Austria's march to a solo but given the strategic situation, it looked hopeless for Italy. I had Italy badly set up in the West so on a fall turn I plunged the knife in Italy and took its western SC's. (A 3 SC stab, never had done one of those before ... or since. Took Italy from 9 to 6 SC's or something like that.) I figured what the heck, I'm probably throwing game to Austria but this appears to be the only option and I'll never get a 3SC stab again in my lifetime. And then something extremely unusual happened. Through a series of moves the next year, Italy managed to switch its place on the board with Austria in the Balkans and the Eastern Med. I looked at Order History for a long time trying to figure out how Italy did it and realized they didn't so much as do it rather they retreated back into better spots after being dislodged. I still badly needed (the much weakened) Italy so I wrote the following: "I know you probably wouldn't want to hear from me and I totally get it. But I wanted you to know that in all the time I have played this game, the series of moves you have made over the last two turns may have been the best moves I have EVER witnessed. YOU SWITCHED PLACES WITH AUSTRIA. If I had known you would be able to do that, I never would have stabbed you. A tip of the cap to you! I wish you all the best the rest of the game. If I can help you, I will."

For the rest of the game Italy directed all his efforts against Austria. I solo'ed.
UM85

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (1316)
All-game rating: (1318)
Timezone: GMT-6

Return to Diplomacy Strategy