When to let Russia have Sweden?

What are your winning tactics? Kill them all? Discuss strategy for the classic and variant games using the classic map, or visit the sub-forums for the variant maps.
Forum rules
Strategy
In addition to the general Forum Guidelines (see here: http://www.playdiplomacy.com/forum/view ... 30&t=15441), there are additional rules for posting in this forum.
1. When discussing strategy, reference should not be made to any active game. This section of the Forum is for general strategy discussion, not specific situations within games.
2. It follows that links, images, game name and/or number should not be added to a post if the game is active.
Posts which refer to a specific situation in an active game, or which link directly to an active game, are subject to editing or removal.

When to let Russia have Sweden?

Postby BrotherBored » 01 Jul 2019, 03:47

I get this question all the time from students and new players. I finally got around to writing my answer.

I give my answer to this question in a ~2,000 word blog post.

I hope you all find this interesting and useful.
BrotherBored

Timezone: EST

Re: When to let Russia have Sweden?

Postby Oh Cheese » 01 Jul 2019, 08:49

When you are playing as Russia, only.
Oh Cheese
Premium Member

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: 1145
All-game rating: 1109
Timezone: GMT+6

Postby jay65536 » 01 Jul 2019, 16:44

You seem to think that Germany should let Russia have Sweden in most cases.

The next question is, if you are Germany and you can already tell from your Spring 01 negotiations that you will let Russia have Sweden, is there a different reason why you still claim you would never consider opening F Kie-Hol? In my experience it is an underrated and occasionally useful move.
jay65536

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 1120
All-game rating: 1126
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby asudevil » 01 Jul 2019, 17:04

Never. Unless turkey is in Black Sea... then mayve
Captain FANG, forum team championships WINNER
Part of the surviving nations of WW4/Haven

Unless I am in the cheater's subforum. 99% of what I say is NOT as a mod.
asudevil
Premium Member

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1351
All-game rating: 1437
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby HunsRus » 01 Jul 2019, 20:31

jay65536 wrote:You seem to think that Germany should let Russia have Sweden in most cases.

The next question is, if you are Germany and you can already tell from your Spring 01 negotiations that you will let Russia have Sweden, is there a different reason why you still claim you would never consider opening F Kie-Hol? In my experience it is an underrated and occasionally useful move.

I think it goes without saying if you're opening to Holland that you're also letting Russia into Sweden. I usually try to get Germany to make this opening when I'm Russia since it assures Sweden
HunsRus

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: 1811
All-game rating: 1828
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby hedge trimmer » 02 Jul 2019, 09:59

Great article, possibly because it reflects my own thoughts on the issue. I've seen plenty of German players getting annihilated when there's an obvious E/F happening and they STILL bounce Russia out of Sweden, even though Russia (and Italy) should be encouraged to help you as much as possible.

jay65536 wrote:The next question is, if you are Germany and you can already tell from your Spring 01 negotiations that you will let Russia have Sweden, is there a different reason why you still claim you would never consider opening F Kie-Hol? In my experience it is an underrated and occasionally useful move.

If Russia knows you're moving to Holland he might just ignore whatever deal you have made since he knows he's getting Sweden either way. Him not knowing your opening to Holland might be a problem too, since it might make the whole Sweden negotiation seem like a bluff. On the other hand, two sets of agreed moves should create a pretty strong basis for further cooperation, if you don't decide to take Sweden for yourself in 1902.

Depending on what's going on with E/F, you pushing for Belgium might make them unhappy too. Especially England since Russia is now in Sweden and your fleet can be only used to threaten him.

Tactically Denmark is a great place for a fleet, and a terrible place for an army. Holland isn't quite the opposite, but I think an army there usually works better.

I've seen successful Germanys open to Holland though, so I agree that it can be useful, but overall I think Denmark is the safer and more neutral choice. It leaves you with more options diplomatically and allows you to see the opening moves.
Silent and deadly Loud and annoying
hedge trimmer

Standard rating: 1375
All-game rating: 1394
Timezone: GMT+2

Postby jay65536 » 02 Jul 2019, 14:10

Yeah, I'm not trying to argue that it is always, or even usually, good to go to Holland.

I'm saying that maybe 20-30% of games it could be considered a useful alternative to Denmark, rather than the 0% that a lot of players seem to believe it is.

Also, when I am Germany and I play Kie-Hol, I never tell Russia I am doing this. I always let the Czar be pleasantly surprised.
jay65536

Postby hedge trimmer » 09 Jul 2019, 16:40

Right, right. I had hoped that BrotherBored would reply as well, but I think it possibly goes back to playing Gunboat where I assume you can't as easily mitigate the risks that come with the move to Holland.
Silent and deadly Loud and annoying
hedge trimmer

Standard rating: 1375
All-game rating: 1394
Timezone: GMT+2

Postby jay65536 » 09 Jul 2019, 19:07

I don't play gunboat but I can't imagine you would ever not play a static strategy in the opening. Gunboat strikes me as a game where if you are playing an anonymous game or don't know who the other players are you should always be playing the same opening in S01 100% of the time.

That said, there are players who play full-press (or FtF) who believe it is never correct to go to Holland. I don't agree with them.
jay65536

Postby BrotherBored » 21 Jul 2019, 22:33

I am in the camp that believes it is unwise to open to Holland. I think that's a bit tangential and a requires a complicated explanation. However, I'll say this: the more I think about it, the more I think opening to Holland is unwise. I am generally against openings that require immense trust or lock you in to certain tactics.
BrotherBored

Timezone: EST

Next

Return to Diplomacy Strategy