Too much talk

What are your winning tactics? Kill them all? Discuss strategy for the classic and variant games using the classic map, or visit the sub-forums for the variant maps.
Forum rules
Strategy
In addition to the general Forum Guidelines (see here: http://www.playdiplomacy.com/forum/view ... 30&t=15441), there are additional rules for posting in this forum.
1. When discussing strategy, reference should not be made to any active game. This section of the Forum is for general strategy discussion, not specific situations within games.
2. It follows that links, images, game name and/or number should not be added to a post if the game is active.
Posts which refer to a specific situation in an active game, or which link directly to an active game, are subject to editing or removal.

Too much talk

Postby NullSpeech » 17 May 2019, 01:06

I've played IRL games of Diplomacy and numerous variants for years.

I feel like one of my strengths is in supplying my listener with an abundance of information and strategy while trying to subtly sell them the strategy I want them to use. I feel like this strategy also helps breed paranoia in my listener if I word my pitch correctly, which can break an alliance that opposes me.

I've only just begun online play, but I've noticed that my paragraphs of text are rarely met with an equal response. Most responses are 1 line and ambiguous. I've also yet to receive any random information from another player as an offer to ally.

Is information brokering not a common strategy in this style of the game?

Does increased communication create more mistrust?
NullSpeech
Premium Member

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: 921
All-game rating: 906
Timezone: GMT-8

Re: Too much talk

Postby Fatmo » 17 May 2019, 02:00

Yes, there are lots of people who play in the style you’re talking about. You may just be unlucky in the game you’ve joined.

You might have a better chance of a more talkative game with plenty of info brokering just by making a PW protected game and advertising it here on the forum. Lots of the people who are forum users tend to be more active.

Also maybe look into joining the classicists club and playing those games if you qualify.
You don't know what I'm thinking...because I don't know what I'm doing.

Conq wrote:Fatmo — you are a relentless mountain stream, ever-flowing, slowly but surely carving away at the rock face below.
Fatmo
Premium Member

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1089)
All-game rating: (1050)

Postby Mr.E » 17 May 2019, 09:13

There was a study on betrayal some time ago that was, while somewhat flawed, interesting in its conclusions.

One of them was that a lot of discussion about strategy tended to increase the likelihood of betrayal. I guess some players simply don't think more than a game year ahead and distrust others that think further.

Or else they're just easily bored.

Some of it may be down to the seemingly prevalent attitude of impatience in online gaming. Lots of online games simply require an input of orders and you're done.

This is probably indicated by the forum posts that are aimed simply at getting games done faster, getting turns done faster, etc. God forbid a game should be played out and players should have wait for a deadline to pass.

However with online Diplomacy there's also the fact that for a significant number of players Diplomacy isn't a game they've played before and the importance of effective communication just doesn't sink in.

Of course, everything's a balance. Effective communication is made more effective by efficient communication. There's no need to be blabbering on forever.

And with that in mind, one thing to remember is that the more you can reflect another's style, the more likely you are to be trusted. Seeds are usually little things... You can usually plant paranoia in someone's mind with a short, seemingly throwaway sentence.
Respect neither opinions nor beliefs; only respect the person and the right to express them.
Play by the rules but be ferocious.
Mr.E
Premium Member

Standard rating: 974
All-game rating: 1142
Timezone: GMT

Postby Pope Pius IX » 17 May 2019, 09:27

I am playing my first game online at the moment and, like the original poster, I go into great detail over my plans and strategies when messaging other players.

Of the other six players, I'd say two of them had a similar style to me; messages from either of them - despite the fact I'm at war with one of them! - are always a good read. With the two of them diametrically opposed there is, sadly, no way for the three of us to work together but if I could, I'd do so like a shot - they're more fun.

One of the remaining players made a Public Press announcement that my detailed tactics and strategies clearly indicated that I was a backstabber, or words to that effect. To be fair, I had just stabbed him, but the game is about stabbing. If I were wanting to get involved in an argument about that, I'd point out that one reason I felt I couldn't trust him and HAD to stab him was that he was simply not giving enough away for me to conclude he wasn't a threat.

For my part, I prefer to receive involved strategies...it allows a much greater strategic outlook (even if they are so much moonshine), lets people negotiate better, and gives you a better steer on whether someone's likely to betray you, and how. In short, I think it's part of the fun.

If you did want to set up a game with the stipulation that long, involved and potentially backstabbing (!) messages must be sent instead of one-liners, I'd happily join it!
Aspiring Classicist.
Head of the Roman Catholic Church.
Pope Pius IX

Standard rating: 1000
All-game rating: 1000

Postby The SHIV » 17 May 2019, 15:19

Why not set it up yourself?

:?:

The SHIV
First..........get off my lawn! Second........it's an Admirals Cheesehead! Courtesy of The Craw. Third.....I am SHIV, Keeper of the Stone Tablets! Go Pack!
The SHIV
Premium Member

Location: Sailing somewhere in the Rockies on the Black Pearl but originally a Yooper!
Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 1136
All-game rating: 1140
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby Pope Pius IX » 17 May 2019, 17:52

Only because as a total newbie I know nothing of how to do these things, and divine intervention, even for the Pope, doesn't always turn up when you need it...
Aspiring Classicist.
Head of the Roman Catholic Church.
Pope Pius IX

Standard rating: 1000
All-game rating: 1000

Postby Charleroi » 17 May 2019, 18:15

I would strongly encourage you to join a classicist game. Those players tend to be much more talkative and engaged than players in the run-of-the-mill games. Extensive correspondence is expected rather than taken as a sign of duplicity.

https://www.playdiplomacy.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=118
Charleroi
Premium Member

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1577
All-game rating: 1648
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby NullSpeech » 18 May 2019, 00:52

Charleroi wrote:I would strongly encourage you to join a classicist game. Those players tend to be much more talkative and engaged than players in the run-of-the-mill games. Extensive correspondence is expected rather than taken as a sign of duplicity.

https://www.playdiplomacy.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=118

I think that will indeed be my next stop, thanks!
NullSpeech
Premium Member

Standard rating: 921
All-game rating: 906

Return to Diplomacy Strategy