How to get yourself stabbed...

What are your winning tactics? Kill them all? Discuss strategy for the classic and variant games using the classic map, or visit the sub-forums for the variant maps.
Forum rules
Strategy
In addition to the general Forum Guidelines (see here: http://www.playdiplomacy.com/forum/view ... 30&t=15441), there are additional rules for posting in this forum.
1. When discussing strategy, reference should not be made to any active game. This section of the Forum is for general strategy discussion, not specific situations within games.
2. It follows that links, images, game name and/or number should not be added to a post if the game is active.
Posts which refer to a specific situation in an active game, or which link directly to an active game, are subject to editing or removal.

How to get yourself stabbed...

Postby blazebbc » 04 Nov 2018, 22:35

I've had more than a few folks express anger, frustration, etc. after I have turned on them... Most of the time they are in denial that any of their actions could have led to the attack. A lot of players could really improve their games with a better understanding of why they were betrayed.

1. Silence. If you don't speak to me over a period time, especially when asked about a set of orders, I am going to presume that you have turned unfriendly. If I am making a choices as to whom I should put my trust, your silence has just done you in.

2. Refusal to actually do anything. I certainly understand a little bit of caution. However, this is not a risk-free game. If you are so scared to do anything that you don't want to join an attack, you will be the target of the attack.

3. Not following through on promised orders. Even if you did not actually do something against me, if you do not follow through with a promised order, you will create mistrust. If you lack of follow-through causes our attack to stall, you really increase the chances that I turn on you.

4. Complaining that you don't trust me. Again, I understand that you don't want to leave yourself completely exposed and that you don't want to be stabbed. But, if you keep complaining to me about how little you trust me, I am going to think that your reliability is going to wane. I'm going to look for other options. Besides, it's Diplomacy. Nobody really should trust anybody. But, shut up and play.

5. Incompetence and NMR's. If you can't take advantage of a good situation or fail to submit orders, you are likely more dangerous as an ally than an enemy.

6. Giving short one-liner replies to orders I suggest. If you are not making other suggestions or taking the time to read them, I know you do not have enough invested in our alliance to be trusted. A good ally reads suggestions and looks for ways to improve orders.

7. General obnoxiousness. If you are rude, snarky or obnoxious, I won't want to keep exchanging press with you. It's unpleasant to read and I''ll be looking for a different ally.
Ally Extraordinaire
Intermational Medal of Honor Recipient
blazebbc
Premium Member

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (1122)
All-game rating: (1132)
Timezone: GMT-8

Re: How to get yourself stabbed...

Postby Phlegmatic » 04 Nov 2018, 22:43

Excellent post, I heartily agree with it!

Stabs are inevitable between even the best and most communicative players, but if you display the listed behaviours it greatly increases the odds of having that blade in your back instead of someone else’s.
Phlegmatic
Premium Member

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1214
All-game rating: 1261
Timezone: GMT

Postby Kaptain krunch » 05 Nov 2018, 06:10

Bravo!!

;)

Very simple and relatable
Build a wall mall
Kaptain krunch

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (800)
All-game rating: (816)
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby ColonelApricot » 05 Nov 2018, 12:19

Jerk
Dog of War in ToS
GRU of the Despicables in TTT
ColonelApricot
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1010
All-game rating: 1415
Timezone: GMT

Postby Oh Cheese » 05 Nov 2018, 12:29

I tick none of those boxes... so why do I get stabbed?!
Oh Cheese
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1168
All-game rating: 1180
Timezone: GMT+6

Postby Don Juan of Austria » 05 Nov 2018, 13:13

Oh Cheese wrote:I tick none of those boxes... so why do I get stabbed?!

Check your back... I had a "Stab Me!" sign stuck to my back. ;)
"In everything, moderation". ~Aristotle
A proud member of the Whippersnappers,
Bronze Classicists,
Lancer in the PBF cavalry.

Ireland in Heptarchy 16!
Don Juan of Toledo in Diplomacy for Dukes and Popes!
Don Juan of Austria

Standard rating: 1047
All-game rating: 1160
Timezone: GMT+2

Postby nanooktheeskimo » 05 Nov 2018, 13:15

The title and theme of this post is a bit victim-blamey. I'd say you might find better luck taking a "this is why I stab" tack than a "this is your fault and here's why" one.
Platinum Classicist
(h/t lordelindel)

I am your (co-) Leader.

GM of WitA 7, WitA 8.

Come play face to face!

Need a forum game GM'ed? PM me!

Mod (but I'm normally not talking as one)
nanooktheeskimo
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1209
All-game rating: 1389
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby NJLonghorn » 05 Nov 2018, 14:41

I would add:

8. Asking me to do things that clearly aren't in my best interest. A good ally will never ask me to put myself at risk without a counterbalancing reward. Trying to set me up for a vicious stab is an art form that I admire, but being too obvious about it is a sure way to get yourself stabbed first.
Classicists, Aspiring Bronze Silver Gold Bronze Member
I have never surrendered and never NMR'd, and hope to keep that alive. Never mind, the perfect run has come to an end. Dammit, DAMMIT, DAMMIT.
NJLonghorn
Premium Member

Standard rating: (1171)
All-game rating: (1439)

Postby V » 05 Nov 2018, 15:37

nanooktheeskimo wrote:The title and theme of this post is a bit victim-blamey. I'd say you might find better luck taking a "this is why I stab" tack than a "this is your fault and here's why" one.

Oh how sweet! PC meets Diplomacy stabbing :lol:
Platinum Classicist
Voilà! In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of Fate. This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is a vestige of the vox populi, now vacant, vanished.
V

Standard rating: 1718
All-game rating: 1754
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby nanooktheeskimo » 05 Nov 2018, 15:47

V wrote:
nanooktheeskimo wrote:The title and theme of this post is a bit victim-blamey. I'd say you might find better luck taking a "this is why I stab" tack than a "this is your fault and here's why" one.

Oh how sweet! PC meets Diplomacy stabbing :lol:

Nothing to do with PC, all to do with people skills. If you tell someone "hey, sorry, this was my thinking," chances are they're gonna be a lot more willing to listen to you later in the game if you need to work with them than if you tell them "hey, this was your fault, here's why."
Platinum Classicist
(h/t lordelindel)

I am your (co-) Leader.

GM of WitA 7, WitA 8.

Come play face to face!

Need a forum game GM'ed? PM me!

Mod (but I'm normally not talking as one)
nanooktheeskimo
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1209
All-game rating: 1389

Next

Return to Diplomacy Strategy