Waiving Builds

What are your winning tactics? Kill them all? Discuss strategy for the classic and variant games using the classic map, or visit the sub-forums for the variant maps.
Forum rules
Strategy
In addition to the general Forum Guidelines (see here: http://www.playdiplomacy.com/forum/view ... 30&t=15441), there are additional rules for posting in this forum.
1. When discussing strategy, reference should not be made to any active game. This section of the Forum is for general strategy discussion, not specific situations within games.
2. It follows that links, images, game name and/or number should not be added to a post if the game is active.
Posts which refer to a specific situation in an active game, or which link directly to an active game, are subject to editing or removal.

Waiving Builds

Postby PonderStibbons » 26 Sep 2018, 18:28

In a recent Gunboat game I played I waived a build as Austria when I could have built an army because I decided a fleet suited my long term prospects better. I'd never seen anyone waive a build before that and in the few games I've played since I don't think I've seen it happen again, which has made me wonder if there is something I've been missing. Are there any circumstances under which you guys would waive a build? Have you ever? Why?
PonderStibbons

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (980)
All-game rating: (1157)
Timezone: GMT

Re: Waiving Builds

Postby Strategus » 26 Sep 2018, 18:33

PonderStibbons wrote:In a recent Gunboat game I played I waived a build as Austria when I could have built an army because I decided a fleet suited my long term prospects better. I'd never seen anyone waive a build before that and in the few games I've played since I don't think I've seen it happen again, which has made me wonder if there is something I've been missing. Are there any circumstances under which you guys would waive a build? Have you ever? Why?

Yes. For instance if your only build would threaten an ally you want to keep sweet. Or if you want to save a few up for a pending stab. Or for the reason you stated.
The Devil makes work for idle forces

Better to have fought and lost, than never to have fought at all
Actual Platinum Classicist
I did WDC 2017

Just say "NO!" To carebears and kittens
Strategus

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1583
All-game rating: 1692
Timezone: GMT

Postby NJLonghorn » 26 Sep 2018, 18:52

I once had a fall season where my allies and I made some guesses that all broke my way. I gained 3 SCs and they each gained 0, iirc. In any event, I forewent one of my builds because I planned to cede an SC to each ally and didn't want to have to destroy the next year.
Classicists, Aspiring Bronze Silver Gold Bronze Member
I have never surrendered and never NMR'd, and hope to keep that alive. Never mind, the perfect run has come to an end. Dammit, DAMMIT, DAMMIT.
NJLonghorn
Premium Member

Standard rating: (1171)
All-game rating: (1439)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby Iggy » 26 Sep 2018, 19:42

Strategus wrote:
PonderStibbons wrote:In a recent Gunboat game I played I waived a build as Austria when I could have built an army because I decided a fleet suited my long term prospects better. I'd never seen anyone waive a build before that and in the few games I've played since I don't think I've seen it happen again, which has made me wonder if there is something I've been missing. Are there any circumstances under which you guys would waive a build? Have you ever? Why?

Yes. For instance if your only build would threaten an ally you want to keep sweet. Or if you want to save a few up for a pending stab. Or for the reason you stated.

I concur. Ceding a build to appease an ally and/or not be too threatening to an ally is about the only thing I can think of other than your scenario for not building if you have an open home center.
Iggy

Standard rating: (1187)
All-game rating: (1259)

Postby NoPunIn10Did » 26 Sep 2018, 19:49

Not all home centers are equal in utility. Maybe you have London & Edinburgh currently occupied, for instance, but what you want is a fleet that can go East. Building in Liverpool could get you that fleet in two turns, but so could saving the build until the next year (which would let you change your mind).
Lead Volunteer Developer & Forum Admin

Variant GM & Designer
NoPunIn10Did

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 1000
All-game rating: 1451

Postby jay65536 » 26 Sep 2018, 23:45

In addition to what others have said, another time you might waive a build is when you have multiple builds, but instead of dropping them all at once, you build all but one and keep another build in your pocket. In addition to "saving it up for a stab", you might also want to pass on a build to defend against a future stab. If the stab comes, you build defensively (or remove 1 fewer unit), but if the expected stab doesn't come you drop another offensive unit the next year. (Or, you keep waiving and just tell your ally, "if you break our DMZ in XXX I'll immediately build in YYY".)

Along the same lines, let's say you have an agreement to carve up certain territory with an ally, and you get all "your" centers at once. You might decide to waive 1 or 2 builds, not primarily to appease your ally, but instead because you want to space your builds out. Sometimes that's a good thing. I could see that being especially true if you get 3 centers--if you build 2 and waive 1, then you drop 2 units right away, which can't be bad, and then the following year you build at least 1, but you build 2 again if you pick up 1 new center.

Personally, I believe the last time I waived a build was in a FtF game 2 years ago. I was Turkey and decided I was going to stab my Austrian ally, would rather have had an army, but didn't want to tip him off by actually building it. And we were so far advanced on the front that a fleet wouldn't have made it anywhere useful in a year anyway. As it turned out, he stabbed me at the same time I stabbed him! Neither of us got anywhere, and the game eventually ended in a former-2-center Italy coming back to solo.
jay65536

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 1120
All-game rating: 1126

Return to Diplomacy Strategy