Fake NMRs?

What are your winning tactics? Kill them all? Discuss strategy for the classic and variant games using the classic map, or visit the sub-forums for the variant maps.
Forum rules
Strategy
In addition to the general Forum Guidelines (see here: viewtopic.php?f=130&t=15441), there are additional rules for posting in this forum.
1. When discussing strategy, reference should not be made to any active game. This section of the Forum is for general strategy discussion, not specific situations within games.
2. It follows that links, images, game name and/or number should not be added to a post if the game is active.
Posts which refer to a specific situation in an active game, or which link directly to an active game, are subject to editing or removal.

Re: Fake NMRs?

Postby DirtyHarry » 11 Aug 2018, 21:20

Damn. As someone of Irish decent, I thought keeping it to twice a day was reasonable ...
DirtyHarry
Premium Member

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: 1319
All-game rating: 1339
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby Zosimus » 19 Aug 2018, 05:18

An equal or perhaps better strategy is to pretend initially that you don't know how the game is played at all. The most effective display I have seen in that regard was made by Italy. He told most people that he was taking Greece and Tunis to start and asked them not to bounce him out. He then played:

F Naples - Ionian
A Venice - Tunis(!)
A Rome - Greece(!)

When 2/3 of his moves failed he complained loudly that others were blocking his moves and that no one wanted to ally with him. He asked what the point of playing was when everyone was out to get him? "Screw this! I'm outta here!" he exclaimed.

In the fall his moves were:

A Venice - Trieste
A Rome - Venice
F Ionian - Tunis

All three moves worked.
Be more aggressive.
Zosimus

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1696
All-game rating: 1730

Postby David E. Cohen » 19 Aug 2018, 15:17

:shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:

That is priceless!
My Dip site: http://diplomiscellany.tripod.com/

The warrior's Way is the twofold Way of pen and sword.

Remember: Friends don't let friends draw-whittle.
David E. Cohen

Class: Diplomat
All-game rating: (1000)

Postby sinnybee » 19 Aug 2018, 21:26

In my first game on playdip, I pretended to be a kid :D that was fun.

Some of the stuff from the public press of that game (I was Austria):
AUSTRIA wrote:thank you! i've never played an online game like this be4 so thought i'd give it a try so i'm excited. i've played diplomacy be4 though so don't worry not a total beginer.

AUSTRIA wrote:TO ITALY:
"why u have 2 suply centers but only 1 boat?! cuz u could build an army in tunis and maybe i could convoy it to apulia or naples and maybe retake italy your homecountry by working are way north. is that allowed? is tunis part of original country that u can build on? if that can't work then maybe u can move offa rome so that u can build a new unit their. what do you think? lemme know.

Anonymous wrote:france: nice job for having 3 units in italy but btw your supposed to go on the spaces that have the little white sqare on them with the dot in the middle.

AUSTRIA wrote:NOT ANONAMUS FROM AUSTRIA: "seriously though france your cool and i can support you into berlin whenevs your ready. our front in the med is alot more interesting then englands and I's front. infact i will shine mercy on your peoples and offer you part in a 2way draw cuz you were expecting one...

Anonymous wrote:TO ENGLAND: "your amries in north russia and north germany look really crowded. maybe you should move some to scandinavia and your home land so they will have some room to breeth.

AUSTRIA wrote:NOT ANONAMUS FROM AUSTRIA: "u2 are really great players on diplomacy. if you want you don't have to go easy on me and can kill me if you want to. good luck.

Anonymous wrote:omg 2 or 3 of the shoutboxs are probly really rude and i didn't mean to be rude sorry.
Gold Classicist since 1-11-11
FT Asst GM of 35 player WWIV Aug 2011-Feb 2012
#1 ranked player of playdip early 2013
4th highest forum karma count at Apr 2013 ending (behind Craw, Dipsy, and Rick)
Tournament Director of the 31 game PDVT Feb-Dec 2014, the first playdip tourney with over 100 sign-ups
sinnybee

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1332)
All-game rating: (1467)
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby Aurelia1 » 23 Aug 2018, 02:37

sinnybee wrote:In my first game on playdip, I pretended to be a kid :D that was fun.

Some of the stuff from the public press of that game (I was Austria):
AUSTRIA wrote:thank you! i've never played an online game like this be4 so thought i'd give it a try so i'm excited. i've played diplomacy be4 though so don't worry not a total beginer.

AUSTRIA wrote:TO ITALY:
"why u have 2 suply centers but only 1 boat?! cuz u could build an army in tunis and maybe i could convoy it to apulia or naples and maybe retake italy your homecountry by working are way north. is that allowed? is tunis part of original country that u can build on? if that can't work then maybe u can move offa rome so that u can build a new unit their. what do you think? lemme know.

Anonymous wrote:france: nice job for having 3 units in italy but btw your supposed to go on the spaces that have the little white sqare on them with the dot in the middle.

AUSTRIA wrote:NOT ANONAMUS FROM AUSTRIA: "seriously though france your cool and i can support you into berlin whenevs your ready. our front in the med is alot more interesting then englands and I's front. infact i will shine mercy on your peoples and offer you part in a 2way draw cuz you were expecting one...

Anonymous wrote:TO ENGLAND: "your amries in north russia and north germany look really crowded. maybe you should move some to scandinavia and your home land so they will have some room to breeth.

AUSTRIA wrote:NOT ANONAMUS FROM AUSTRIA: "u2 are really great players on diplomacy. if you want you don't have to go easy on me and can kill me if you want to. good luck.

Anonymous wrote:omg 2 or 3 of the shoutboxs are probly really rude and i didn't mean to be rude sorry.

That’s actually really useful for Versailles, when hiding who your minor is!

Are those all from the PP?
Silver Classicist

“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times if one only remembers to turn on the light.” -Albus Dumbledore
“There’s a million things I haven’t done. Just you wait, just you wait.”-Hamilton
Aurelia1
Premium Member

Standard rating: 990
All-game rating: 959

Postby sinnybee » 23 Aug 2018, 19:36

Yeah
Tournament Director of the 31 game PDVT Feb-Dec 2014, the first playdip tourney with over 100 sign-ups
sinnybee

Postby Aurelia1 » 24 Aug 2018, 00:36

That seems useful. There’s only one problem.

Kids don’t talk like that.
Silver Classicist

“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times if one only remembers to turn on the light.” -Albus Dumbledore
“There’s a million things I haven’t done. Just you wait, just you wait.”-Hamilton
Aurelia1
Premium Member

Standard rating: 990
All-game rating: 959

Postby sinnybee » 24 Aug 2018, 05:04

Aurelia1 wrote:That seems useful. There’s only one problem.

Kids don’t talk like that.

Why is that a problem? :?

I did well in the game.

My age was never brought up in the game.

I don't mean "kid" literally, just someone who is unversed or lazy with grammar and spelling and I was also pretending to have a lesser knowledge of Diplomacy rules.
sinnybee

Postby MrShed123 » 04 Dec 2018, 16:23

Zosimus wrote:An equal or perhaps better strategy is to pretend initially that you don't know how the game is played at all. The most effective display I have seen in that regard was made by Italy. He told most people that he was taking Greece and Tunis to start and asked them not to bounce him out. He then played:

F Naples - Ionian
A Venice - Tunis(!)
A Rome - Greece(!)

When 2/3 of his moves failed he complained loudly that others were blocking his moves and that no one wanted to ally with him. He asked what the point of playing was when everyone was out to get him? "Screw this! I'm outta here!" he exclaimed.

In the fall his moves were:

A Venice - Trieste
A Rome - Venice
F Ionian - Tunis

All three moves worked.

That has really made me laugh :D
MrShed123

Standard rating: 1202
All-game rating: 1306
Timezone: GMT

Previous