Provisional Order strategies

What are your winning tactics? Kill them all? Discuss strategy for the classic and variant games using the classic map, or visit the sub-forums for the variant maps.
Forum rules
Strategy
In addition to the general Forum Guidelines (see here: http://www.playdiplomacy.com/forum/view ... 30&t=15441), there are additional rules for posting in this forum.
1. When discussing strategy, reference should not be made to any active game. This section of the Forum is for general strategy discussion, not specific situations within games.
2. It follows that links, images, game name and/or number should not be added to a post if the game is active.
Posts which refer to a specific situation in an active game, or which link directly to an active game, are subject to editing or removal.

Provisional Order strategies

Postby WarSmith » 02 Aug 2018, 00:14

As someone who logs in a few times a day, I rarely miss orders - however to make sure that I don’t, even if on my mobile with only seconds to spare when I see a game needs orders: I always lay some provisional ones with the intent to come back later and edit.
The issue for me often is that I lay slightly more aggressive orders at that prvisional stage. And that can lead to trouble if I don’t get back online before processing, or if there’s been no Comms in the turn and I don’t notice that I need to look into a game before it processes.
It’s landed me in hot water more than once :)
Occasionally because I deliberately did something to upset someone (stab etc) or that I rushed the order on the phone and had made a mistake.
But every so often it’s a lot of fun to see a more aggressive order carry and then play that out :)
What do you do?
"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth even has a chance to put its pants on”
WarSmith
Premium Member

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 1724
All-game rating: 1716
Timezone: GMT+2

Re: Provisional Order strategies

Postby mhsmith0 » 02 Aug 2018, 00:58

I stumbled into a solo as Austria once because I made a provisional stab of France's Italian centers then wandered off for like 2 days when no one messaged me then forgot about it and then apologized (while keeping the centers but moving units away from a complete overrun) and then made my way into Munich and Berlin for the 18 :)
Proud holder of the Superior Tophat of Solving, an item entrusted with the forum's most prominent smartass
mhsmith0
Premium Member

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1269)
All-game rating: (1439)
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby Don Juan of Austria » 02 Aug 2018, 08:55

WarSmith wrote:As someone who logs in a few times a day, I rarely miss orders - however to make sure that I don’t, even if on my mobile with only seconds to spare when I see a game needs orders: I always lay some provisional ones with the intent to come back later and edit.
The issue for me often is that I lay slightly more aggressive orders at that prvisional stage. And that can lead to trouble if I don’t get back online before processing, or if there’s been no Comms in the turn and I don’t notice that I need to look into a game before it processes.
It’s landed me in hot water more than once :)
Occasionally because I deliberately did something to upset someone (stab etc) or that I rushed the order on the phone and had made a mistake.
But every so often it’s a lot of fun to see a more aggressive order carry and then play that out :)
What do you do?

I relate so much to this.

I usually enter orders aggressively on the assumption that if I don't get/send messages between now and the deadline, this is what I'll do.
Occasionally I forget to change them...and yeah. Hot water. :lol:
"In everything, moderation". ~Aristotle
A proud member of the Whippersnappers,
Bronze Classicists,
Lancer in the PBF cavalry.

Ireland in Heptarchy 16!
Don Juan of Toledo in Diplomacy for Dukes and Popes!
Don Juan of Austria

Standard rating: (1047)
All-game rating: (1160)

Postby WarSmith » 02 Aug 2018, 09:28

This doesn't count for forum games also does it??? I think I just understood what happened to us in Heptarchy last year ;)
"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth even has a chance to put its pants on”
WarSmith
Premium Member

Postby WarSmith » 02 Aug 2018, 17:05

mhsmith0 wrote:I stumbled into a solo as Austria once because I made a provisional stab of France's Italian centers then wandered off for like 2 days when no one messaged me then forgot about it and then apologized (while keeping the centers but moving units away from a complete overrun) and then made my way into Munich and Berlin for the 18 :)

Lucky! And ruthless. Perfect Smith behavior.
WarSmith
Premium Member

Postby Jegpeg » 02 Aug 2018, 20:37

I'm the opposite, my provisional orders tend to be more passive than finalised orders. The thinking is if I am going to stab someone I want to be sure it is the right thing. I don't want to lose internet access for a day or so and then find I stabbed the ally I really need keep because of a message I missed.
Jegpeg

Standard rating: (1125)
All-game rating: (1401)
Timezone: GMT

Postby Aurelin » 02 Aug 2018, 22:26

If you’re compulsive and more than slightly addicted to this site, it doesn’t matter what your provisional orders are because you’ll be checking Playdip a hundred times a day, scanning the front page hungrily for that YES, rejoicing in that red print in your games tab as sweet as candy, and overall getting told off by your family for spending too much time online. You’ll never forget because every time you open Safari, your fingers will automatically go to playdip, and while it loads you’ll be thinking, “why am I such an addict?” but still not really feeling guilty.

This, of course, is definitely hypothetical. :)
Silver Classicist
Aurelin

Standard rating: (1016)
All-game rating: (985)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby jay65536 » 02 Aug 2018, 22:42

I don't tend to put in "provisional orders" a lot. Usually there is some point during a turn where I decide what I want my moves to be, and when I decide, I input them at that exact point. Anytime I decide to change them, I change them at that exact decision point. This will usually be after I've read a message, but could be in response to not receiving a message far away enough from a deadline.
jay65536

Standard rating: 1120
All-game rating: 1126
Timezone: GMT-5

Return to Diplomacy Strategy