Least used province

What are your winning tactics? Kill them all? Discuss strategy for the classic and variant games using the classic map, or visit the sub-forums for the variant maps.
Forum rules
Strategy
In addition to the general Forum Guidelines (see here: viewtopic.php?f=130&t=15441), there are additional rules for posting in this forum.
1. When discussing strategy, reference should not be made to any active game. This section of the Forum is for general strategy discussion, not specific situations within games.
2. It follows that links, images, game name and/or number should not be added to a post if the game is active.
Posts which refer to a specific situation in an active game, or which link directly to an active game, are subject to editing or removal.

Re: Least used province

Postby nanooktheeskimo » 11 May 2018, 20:20

jay65536 wrote:
nanooktheeskimo wrote:
jay65536 wrote:Note the qualifier I used—except to hold a stalemate line against the West (or to try and break through to Munich from the East, I guess, but I’m kinda lumping those two together).

I’m struggling to think of another way it’s useful? Like, most early moves to Bohemia that aren’t accompanied by moves to Sil and Tyr (and thus fall under the above use) end up being pretty much wasted moves, right? Can you think of an exception, where Bohemia was used and Sil or Tyr couldn’t have done the job better?

Of course--Bohemia can play a role in early A/I and/or R/T alliance play.

For example, one extra-aggressive anti-R/T opening has Italy playing the usual Lepanto with Ven-Tyr--and then Tyr-Boh in the fall. The object here is not to break across the stalemate line but to get extra pressure on Galicia (and to prevent the second part of this).

Similarly, from the opposite direction, if Russia is allied with Turkey and needs extra leverage against the Austrian defense, you could see moves like Gal-Boh with an army backfilling Gal in S02. The object of that is to get 2 armies next to Vienna--nothing stalemate-related there either.

Does that opening happen much? I’ve heard of it, but never seen it in practice...is that just coincidence?
Platinum Classicist
(h/t lordelindel)

I am your (co-) Leader.

GM of Sengoku, Heptarchy 14.

NorthEast

Need a forum game GM'ed? PM me!

Mod (but I'm normally not talking as one)
nanooktheeskimo

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1225
All-game rating: 1407
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby jay65536 » 11 May 2018, 22:00

The Russian side--Gal-Boh early in an attack on Austria--is not too uncommon, and in fact it happened in my Round 2 PDET game (2J).

The Italian side of this opening, I've only seen in FtF play--but for an example of something extremely similar on this site, the game I just completed (PDES 1B) had Italy playing Ven-Tyr in F02 and Tyr-Boh in S03, with clear anti-Russian intentions.
jay65536

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1124)
All-game rating: (1130)

Postby nanooktheeskimo » 11 May 2018, 22:12

jay65536 wrote:The Russian side--Gal-Boh early in an attack on Austria--is not too uncommon, and in fact it happened in my Round 2 PDET game (2J).

The Italian side of this opening, I've only seen in FtF play--but for an example of something extremely similar on this site, the game I just completed (PDES 1B) had Italy playing Ven-Tyr in F02 and Tyr-Boh in S03, with clear anti-Russian intentions.

Hmm. Maybe its more common than I thought.
Platinum Classicist
(h/t lordelindel)

I am your (co-) Leader.

GM of Sengoku, Heptarchy 14.

NorthEast

Need a forum game GM'ed? PM me!

Mod (but I'm normally not talking as one)
nanooktheeskimo

Standard rating: 1225
All-game rating: 1407

Postby Linus803 » 22 May 2018, 23:40

Thoroughly surprised at everyone saying it's Syria. That space is a key location for a Lepanto and generally necessary any time Italy or Austria wants to attack Turkey. I've used it a bunch--certainly more than I've used North Africa, Clyde, or Tuscany (although all three have their purposes in the right circumstances).
Linus803

Standard rating: 1285
All-game rating: 1297
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby Fatmo » 23 May 2018, 00:11

I've definitely done that early move to Bohemia as Italy in the context of a strong A/I gunning for R/T right off the bat. It worked very well.
When you owe nine dollars to your bank, you have a little problem. When you owe 90,000 dollars to your bank, your bank has a big problem.

Conq wrote:Fatmo — you are a relentless mountain stream, ever-flowing, slowly but surely carving away at the rock face below.
Fatmo
Premium Member

Standard rating: (1089)
All-game rating: (1050)
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby jay65536 » 23 May 2018, 18:49

Linus803 wrote:Thoroughly surprised at everyone saying it's Syria. That space is a key location for a Lepanto and generally necessary any time Italy or Austria wants to attack Turkey. I've used it a bunch--certainly more than I've used North Africa, Clyde, or Tuscany (although all three have their purposes in the right circumstances).

This gets back to the original question I asked, of what it means to be "used".

The definition I would use is that a space is "used" on any turn in which a unit is either occupying the space or ordered to it, and then "used" again anytime a draw is agreed to with a unit in that space. Under that definition, I'm prepared to argue that yes, Syria is used less than the 3 spaces you mentioned (although it's close with North Africa, I think).
jay65536

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1124)
All-game rating: (1130)

Previous

Return to Strategy