Least used province

What are your winning tactics? Kill them all? Discuss strategy for the classic and variant games using the classic map, or visit the sub-forums for the variant maps.
Forum rules
Strategy
In addition to the general Forum Guidelines (see here: http://www.playdiplomacy.com/forum/view ... 30&t=15441), there are additional rules for posting in this forum.
1. When discussing strategy, reference should not be made to any active game. This section of the Forum is for general strategy discussion, not specific situations within games.
2. It follows that links, images, game name and/or number should not be added to a post if the game is active.
Posts which refer to a specific situation in an active game, or which link directly to an active game, are subject to editing or removal.

Least used province

Postby markleadon » 11 May 2018, 00:16

What’s the least used province on the board in your opinion. My guess is
1) Syria. I think I’ve only ever gone there once
2) Clyde
3) Tuscany or apulia
markleadon

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1799)
All-game rating: (1820)
Timezone: GMT

Re: Least used province

Postby PrinceAli » 11 May 2018, 00:25

I agree with Syria and Clyde (similar position for the North Atlantic, I'd say), but I just got kicked out of Naples because of a fleet in Apulia (and the Ionian), and we'll be fighting over Tuscany pretty soon, so I'll have to disagree with your third choices.

EDIT (Addition): See a recent post by Enriador about the "Tuscan Opening:" https://www.playdiplomacy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=57250. Not that this has been used, but it did make a good point about how little it's used, while suggesting its usage.

I'd like to see what other people see as the most used provinces, as well.

Honestly, though, I think Swi and Ireland are the least-used provinces.
Last edited by PrinceAli on 11 May 2018, 00:33, edited 1 time in total.
When the going gets tough, make lemonade.

CYOC
Plays as The Complex (a voting bloc) of Meditia
Formerly The Honorable Ontaic Therc, Member of the Triumvirate of the Oriental Republic
Before that, The Empress Arya of the YinShun Empirical Combined State
PrinceAli

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (1138)
All-game rating: (1268)

Postby Damon Huntington » 11 May 2018, 00:30

I have to disagree with Switzerland. I once read an analysis [http://www.diplomacy-archive.com/resources/strategy/articles/hit_parade.htm] that stated Switzerland, despite being impassable territory, was actually the most important province on the board - mainly due to how it bottlenecked the connection between Austrian and French territory, as well as reducing the overall amount of offensive lines that can afflict Munich (also one of the most important spaces).

I'd say that Ireland and Syria are indeed the least-used provinces.
Damon Huntington
Premium Member

Standard rating: (1332)
All-game rating: (1341)
Timezone: GMT-3

Postby PrinceAli » 11 May 2018, 00:45

Damon Huntington wrote:I have to disagree with Switzerland.

I'm glad someone did. I'm in a one-vs-one England vs. Austria (I'm England) and Munich is becoming a huge pain for either of us to take thanks to Switzerland. I notice this agrees with the number two "Most Important" pick (Munich) in that article, and your comment. Switzerland has an outsize effect on the board at essentially every stage.

The post I cited earlier actually gave a really weird use for Syria early in the game ("flexibility" in an alliance with Russia), but I think it has very little value.
When the going gets tough, make lemonade.

CYOC
Plays as The Complex (a voting bloc) of Meditia
Formerly The Honorable Ontaic Therc, Member of the Triumvirate of the Oriental Republic
Before that, The Empress Arya of the YinShun Empirical Combined State
PrinceAli

Standard rating: (1138)
All-game rating: (1268)

Postby nanooktheeskimo » 11 May 2018, 02:08

Syria is the least used most likely, but Bohemia is just as useless. Bohemia is normally only useful late in the game for holding a stalemate line against the West. Syria comes into play during Lepanto’s or Italian attacks on Turkey, sometimes.
Platinum Classicist
(h/t lordelindel)

I am your (co-) Leader.

GM of WitA 7, WitA 8.

Come play face to face!

Need a forum game GM'ed? PM me!

Mod (but I'm normally not talking as one)
nanooktheeskimo
Premium Member

Standard rating: (1209)
All-game rating: (1389)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby markleadon » 11 May 2018, 07:55

Yes I was struggling for the third choice. York often used early on for convoying but less and less as game goes on too. North Atlantic could be a good shout
markleadon

Standard rating: (1799)
All-game rating: (1820)

Postby jay65536 » 11 May 2018, 18:58

What do we mean by "used"? I think it's at least possible that the answer depends on that, especially if we're thinking about most used.

Least used, I feel like there's no way it isn't Syria. (I'm personally of the opinion that Syria is under-utilized.)

That said, I don't consider any space on the board to be "useless". nanook, wasn't Bohemia a key space in the one game we have actually played together?
jay65536

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 1124
All-game rating: 1130

Postby nanooktheeskimo » 11 May 2018, 19:17

jay65536 wrote:What do we mean by "used"? I think it's at least possible that the answer depends on that, especially if we're thinking about most used.

Least used, I feel like there's no way it isn't Syria. (I'm personally of the opinion that Syria is under-utilized.)

That said, I don't consider any space on the board to be "useless". nanook, wasn't Bohemia a key space in the one game we have actually played together?

Note the qualifier I used—except to hold a stalemate line against the West (or to try and break through to Munich from the East, I guess, but I’m kinda lumping those two together).

I’m struggling to think of another way it’s useful? Like, most early moves to Bohemia that aren’t accompanied by moves to Sil and Tyr (and thus fall under the above use) end up being pretty much wasted moves, right? Can you think of an exception, where Bohemia was used and Sil or Tyr couldn’t have done the job better?
Platinum Classicist
(h/t lordelindel)

I am your (co-) Leader.

GM of WitA 7, WitA 8.

Come play face to face!

nanooktheeskimo
Premium Member

Postby nanooktheeskimo » 11 May 2018, 19:18

I also wouldn’t call any space completely useless. Just as useless isn’t the same as totally useless, but I could definitely have worded it clearer ;)
Platinum Classicist
(h/t lordelindel)

I am your (co-) Leader.

GM of WitA 7, WitA 8.

Come play face to face!

nanooktheeskimo
Premium Member

Postby jay65536 » 11 May 2018, 20:18

nanooktheeskimo wrote:Note the qualifier I used—except to hold a stalemate line against the West (or to try and break through to Munich from the East, I guess, but I’m kinda lumping those two together).

I’m struggling to think of another way it’s useful? Like, most early moves to Bohemia that aren’t accompanied by moves to Sil and Tyr (and thus fall under the above use) end up being pretty much wasted moves, right? Can you think of an exception, where Bohemia was used and Sil or Tyr couldn’t have done the job better?

Of course--Bohemia can play a role in early A/I and/or R/T alliance play.

For example, one extra-aggressive anti-R/T opening has Italy playing the usual Lepanto with Ven-Tyr--and then Tyr-Boh in the fall. The object here is not to break across the stalemate line but to get extra pressure on Galicia (and to prevent the second part of this).

Similarly, from the opposite direction, if Russia is allied with Turkey and needs extra leverage against the Austrian defense, you could see moves like Gal-Boh with an army backfilling Gal in S02. The object of that is to get 2 armies next to Vienna--nothing stalemate-related there either.
Last edited by jay65536 on 11 May 2018, 22:53, edited 2 times in total.
jay65536

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 1124
All-game rating: 1130

Next

Return to Diplomacy Strategy