Outguessing your opponent

What are your winning tactics? Kill them all? Discuss strategy for the classic and variant games using the classic map, or visit the sub-forums for the variant maps.
Forum rules
Strategy
In addition to the general Forum Guidelines (see here: http://www.playdiplomacy.com/forum/view ... 30&t=15441), there are additional rules for posting in this forum.
1. When discussing strategy, reference should not be made to any active game. This section of the Forum is for general strategy discussion, not specific situations within games.
2. It follows that links, images, game name and/or number should not be added to a post if the game is active.
Posts which refer to a specific situation in an active game, or which link directly to an active game, are subject to editing or removal.

Outguessing your opponent

Postby idea2go » 01 May 2018, 17:34

When you’re in one of those 50/50 situations where you can guess right and win the center, or guess wrong and lose it, do you try to outthink the opponent by figuring out what they will decide, or flip a coin to be as unpredictable as possible? I usually try to outthink, but having several hours to think about it instead of just a few minutes in a f2f game to decide & go is driving me nuts! https://youtu.be/zQoJOAbAsRM?t=10s
idea2go

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1000)
All-game rating: (989)
Timezone: GMT-5

Re: Outguessing your opponent

Postby Cardlinger » 01 May 2018, 17:51

I assume I'm not clever enough to outthink them and just flip to be entirely unpredictable.

Sometimes I actually tell them I'm doing that just to be entirely unexploitable!

Best,
Cardlinger
Cardlinger

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1093)
All-game rating: (1106)
Timezone: GMT

Postby mjparrett » 01 May 2018, 18:00

I will usually "leak" something to a 3rd party who I think is actually working for the other player. "I'm going to support with Berlin" etc. Hope the message gets back, and do the opposite.
mjparrett

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1488
All-game rating: 1524

Postby DQ » 01 May 2018, 23:13

mjparrett wrote:I will usually "leak" something to a 3rd party who I think is actually working for the other player. "I'm going to support with Berlin" etc. Hope the message gets back, and do the opposite.

That's good strategery no matter the forum. The best person I know at outguessing people says its really about understanding the psychology of the opponent - which is very hard to do when you don't know them, and can't see their body language. Decision squares are helpful for those occasions when you have WAY too much time on your hands but tbh I haven't used one in years - I have a general feel for which outcome I can / can't live with.
Stab you soon!
DQ

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (1062)
All-game rating: (1063)

Postby David E. Cohen » 04 May 2018, 03:48

mjparrett wrote:I will usually "leak" something to a 3rd party who I think is actually working for the other player. "I'm going to support with Berlin" etc. Hope the message gets back, and do the opposite.

Which can, of course, backfire. A discerning player will be thinking "How does the conduit know that?" and "Why would the disseminator tell that to the conduit?" If it doesn't smell right, the disinformation will be regarded as what it is, with occasionaly disastrous results if what you are doing is on the risky side. It is best to use this tactic sparingly and with subtlety.
Play every game of Diplomacy as if it will be the last game of Diplomacy you will ever play.
David E. Cohen

All-game rating: (1000)

Postby Justinrs2 » 04 May 2018, 05:05

David E. Cohen wrote:

Which can, of course, backfire. A discerning player will be thinking "How does the conduit know that?" and "Why would the disseminator tell that to the conduit?" If it doesn't smell right, the disinformation will be regarded as what it is, with occasionaly disastrous results if what you are doing is on the risky side. It is best to use this tactic sparingly and with subtlety.

Unless you know that, and are being purposefully clumsy to make your opponent think exactly that. Then you do the opposite. But wait! They may know that, and see through the trap in the trap, going along with what the message says after all. That's why you should do what the message says after all. But wait! They may know that, and see through the trap in the trap in the trap, doing the opposite of what the message says, just as you suggest. That's why you should do the opposite of what the message says. But wait!.......

etc etc
Justinrs2

Standard rating: 1364
All-game rating: 1314
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby ColonelApricot » 04 May 2018, 07:36

A coin-toss removes the stress but you may be able to improve the odds from 50%.

Analysis of previous orders by the opponent may reveal whether the player usually chooses the most obvious approach, or by contrast prefers to counter his opponent's (i.e. your) obvious approach. You then need to consider whether your previous orders consistently fall within the first pattern (perhaps by deliberate strategy) or the second, or a mixture of the two. Some opponents consistently choose unpredictable tactics, ignoring their opponents approach altogether.

For example we have the Marseilles dilemma. To keep it open for the build, will France self-bounce (the obvious tactic), or just hold off? Italy should support to Mar if he expects France to play in an unsubtle manner, or if he considers France to be capable of leaving Mar open, move there himself.

Relying on confusion arising from messages being passed on by third parties might work best when the opponent is unpredictable. By creating chaos it at least allows one to feel that the opponent is suffering as much as oneself.

Of course if the guess is successful don't forget to demoralize the opponent, whether it be by insincere commiseration, boastful taunting or suggesting that he is surrounded by traitors.

..CA
Dog of War in ToS
GRU of the Despicables in TTT
ColonelApricot
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1010
All-game rating: 1415

Postby David E. Cohen » 05 May 2018, 02:21

Justinrs2 wrote:
David E. Cohen wrote:

Unless you know that, and are being purposefully clumsy to make your opponent think exactly that. Then you do the opposite. But wait! They may know that, and see through the trap in the trap, going along with what the message says after all. That's why you should do what the message says after all. But wait! They may know that, and see through the trap in the trap in the trap, doing the opposite of what the message says, just as you suggest. That's why you should do the opposite of what the message says. But wait!.......

etc etc

I will skip any false humility. :lol: :lol: I am afraid appearing to be clumsy is not believable in my case, at least to people who know me! :ugeek:
Play every game of Diplomacy as if it will be the last game of Diplomacy you will ever play.
David E. Cohen

All-game rating: (1000)

Return to Diplomacy Strategy