Diplomacy Academy 7: What we have here is...

What are your winning tactics? Kill them all? Discuss strategy for the classic and variant games using the classic map, or visit the sub-forums for the variant maps.
Forum rules
Strategy
In addition to the general Forum Guidelines (see here: http://www.playdiplomacy.com/forum/view ... 30&t=15441), there are additional rules for posting in this forum.
1. When discussing strategy, reference should not be made to any active game. This section of the Forum is for general strategy discussion, not specific situations within games.
2. It follows that links, images, game name and/or number should not be added to a post if the game is active.
Posts which refer to a specific situation in an active game, or which link directly to an active game, are subject to editing or removal.

Re: Diplomacy Academy 7: What we have here is...

Postby DQ » 30 Apr 2018, 01:37

Justinrs2 wrote:It seems to me that two things prevented you from soloing: the fact Russia was so focused on bringing you down, and your lack of sufficient armies to bring France down. Even if you grab 3 or 4 coastal centers, you still wouldn't reach 18 and the rest of the board could easily unit against you.

On the right track. Russia is functionally irrelevant to my decision however - I can't count to 18. When I stab France (three dots, lets assume its perfect and goes without a hitch), what units does he pull, and what happens next?
Stab you soon!
DQ

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (1062)
All-game rating: (1063)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby Pootleflump » 30 Apr 2018, 01:41

DQ, you make me work........

Ok....

If you pivoted after securing StP and stabbed France in 1906/1907, those two French fleets would have come North. Turkey's in the Ionian by 1906 and has 4 active fleets by 1907. Your fleets are a long way away. He'd have got to the West Med before you and would have been the biggest beneficiary of the stab. Italy is a weak 3 centre power in 1906. France would have disbanded in the south and defended in the North. Turkey would have taken Italy and Iberia and potentially be in a Solo position himself.

And yes. Russia disnae like you very much. He's not going to be a big help in the land battle.
They are scared of women like you. Women with hearts big enough to house suitcases of pain. Women with laughs so therapeutic they can heal wounds. Women with passion fierce enough to start wildfires. They are scared of what they can't tame or understand.
Pootleflump

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1798
All-game rating: 1878
Timezone: GMT

Postby DQ » 30 Apr 2018, 03:12

Pootleflump wrote:DQ, you make me work........

Ok....

If you pivoted after securing StP and stabbed France in 1906/1907, those two French fleets would have come North. Turkey's in the Ionian by 1906 and has 4 active fleets by 1907. Your fleets are a long way away. He'd have got to the West Med before you and would have been the biggest beneficiary of the stab. Italy is a weak 3 centre power in 1906. France would have disbanded in the south and defended in the North. Turkey would have taken Italy and Iberia and potentially be in a Solo position himself.

And yes. Russia disnae like you very much. He's not going to be a big help in the land battle.

Oh yes - he's much more inclined to throw to Turkey (his ally) than fight him if it comes to that. I get to 17 all day, but I have to be exceptionally lucky to get to 18. I have one too many Fleets, and too far away, and France has too many armies in the middle, even if I strand them on the wrong side of Munich, I can't take his home centers fast enough to remove them - so I lose Munich, which is the dot I have to hold.
Stab you soon!
DQ

Postby Pootleflump » 30 Apr 2018, 11:01

I need to work on my end game.

I seem to be able to get to 16 or 17 often enough, and just can't get that elusive last centre.

Maybe that can be your next video!
They are scared of women like you. Women with hearts big enough to house suitcases of pain. Women with laughs so therapeutic they can heal wounds. Women with passion fierce enough to start wildfires. They are scared of what they can't tame or understand.
Pootleflump

Standard rating: 1798
All-game rating: 1878

Postby DQ » 30 Apr 2018, 13:05

Pootleflump wrote:I need to work on my end game.

I seem to be able to get to 16 or 17 often enough, and just can't get that elusive last centre.

I have it in mind for a future episode - but there is so much good information out there about stalemate lines, I feel like I'd be covering ground that's already been mapped out?
Stab you soon!
DQ

Postby jay65536 » 30 Apr 2018, 16:20

DQ wrote:

I have it in mind for a future episode - but there is so much good information out there about stalemate lines, I feel like I'd be covering ground that's already been mapped out?

Disagree, DQ. People know about stalemate lines, but if you talked about it from the perspective of early planning to get past them, and where the key centers for 18 are situated with respect to them, that's something a lot of players--even some of the ones who know about stalemate lines--don't do very well.
jay65536

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1120)
All-game rating: (1126)

Postby boldblade » 30 Apr 2018, 16:58

DQ wrote:

All the reading I have done on stalemate lines is so dense. I think if you did a video on that it would be a great resource and much easier for people to understand and grasp.
boldblade

Standard rating: (1474)
All-game rating: (1488)

Postby DQ » 30 Apr 2018, 18:42

boldblade wrote:
All the reading I have done on stalemate lines is so dense. I think if you did a video on that it would be a great resource and much easier for people to understand and grasp.

Good points - I'll look at it for DA8!
Stab you soon!
DQ

Postby willie23 » 30 Apr 2018, 20:17

Hey DQ,

Your videos are always very informative and interesting. Thanks for the tip about forwarding press—I was getting there but I have a little problem with forwarding press to my allies. I am working on it though :)

About the stalemate lines video—can you look at a couple of finished games for me: 140489, and 141718....I was Frace in both games, and I made it to the end game with only 3 players remaining. Only, in one game the other two pushed me out of the three way draw....what do you think?

I can’t wait for the next video!

Willie
“Always mystify, mislead, and surprise the enemy, if possible;”— General T. J. Jackson

Bronze Member of the Classicists
Member of the Whippersnappers.
United Republic of New Texas In CYOC
Check out the PlayDip Historical Society!
willie23

Standard rating: 951
All-game rating: 961

Postby mhsmith0 » 04 May 2018, 07:31

DQ wrote:
boldblade wrote:

Good points - I'll look at it for DA8!

I think one particularly interesting question is, what are the considerations you make when trying to push past the relevant stalemate lines (E/F going for Tunis/Warsaw/Moscow; G going for Mar/Spa/Por; I/A/T going for STP, Munich, or breaking through MAO; and whatever the hell the key points are for Russia). Once you get too big, if you haven't punctured at least one key line people will just unite to stop you, but on the other hand, if you're overextended you can lose your holdings pretty fast potentially.
Proud holder of the Superior Tophat of Solving, an item entrusted with the forum's most prominent smartass
mhsmith0

Standard rating: (1269)
All-game rating: (1439)
Timezone: GMT-7

PreviousNext

Return to Diplomacy Strategy