Diplomacy Academy 7: What we have here is...

What are your winning tactics? Kill them all? Discuss strategy for the classic and variant games using the classic map, or visit the sub-forums for the variant maps.
Forum rules
Strategy
In addition to the general Forum Guidelines (see here: viewtopic.php?f=130&t=15441), there are additional rules for posting in this forum.
1. When discussing strategy, reference should not be made to any active game. This section of the Forum is for general strategy discussion, not specific situations within games.
2. It follows that links, images, game name and/or number should not be added to a post if the game is active.
Posts which refer to a specific situation in an active game, or which link directly to an active game, are subject to editing or removal.

Diplomacy Academy 7: What we have here is...

Postby DQ » 28 Apr 2018, 19:25

Featuring negotiations that took place here on Playdiplomacy.com! The players (except me) are anonymous to protect their innocence!
Stab you soon!
DQ

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (1062)
All-game rating: (1063)
Timezone: GMT-5

Re: Diplomacy Academy 7: What we have here is...

Postby Don Juan of Austria » 28 Apr 2018, 22:23

I really enjoyed watching that. :)

If I was in your position... Well, it seems like you had an excellent relationship with France. Was a stab/solo attempt really worth it?
I don't know your actual reasons though. ;)
"In everything, moderation". ~Aristotle
A proud member of the Whippersnappers,
Bronze Classicists,
Lancer in the PBF cavalry.

The USA in WitA7!
Britain in WitA8!
House Martell in DoIaF-III,
Athens in GCS4.
Don Juan of Austria

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1050
All-game rating: 1177
Timezone: GMT+2

Postby DQ » 28 Apr 2018, 22:45

Thank you!

IMO the best stabs happen when you have an excellent relationship with another player. That is what gets you the position for the stab! :twisted:
Stab you soon!
DQ

Postby nanooktheeskimo » 29 Apr 2018, 01:52

Don Juan of Austria wrote:I really enjoyed watching that. :)

If I was in your position... Well, it seems like you had an excellent relationship with France. Was a stab/solo attempt really worth it?
I don't know your actual reasons though. ;)

A solo is the goal of the game, and a stab isn’t personal, or an indictment of the stabbed’s character.
Platinum Classicist
(h/t lordelindel)

I am your (co-) Leader.

GM of Sengoku, Heptarchy 14.

NorthEast

Need a forum game GM'ed? PM me!

Mod (but I'm normally not talking as one)
nanooktheeskimo

Standard rating: 1225
All-game rating: 1407

Postby jay65536 » 29 Apr 2018, 03:37

This is a really good video--and also, from the 4 games I've played on this site, I think you picked a situation that it would help a LOT of the site regulars improve their game by studying. When I watched this video I saw shades of my 2003-04 game in the Russian negotiations. I hope I've learned a lot since then about how to play!
jay65536

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1124)
All-game rating: (1130)

Postby Groo » 29 Apr 2018, 05:15

DQ, so those are your videos! Just wanted to say I've enjoyed the world championship series a lot. Thanks for your effort, the quality content on diplomacy is rather scarce so I just wanted to give you a big thumbs up for what you're doing!

edit: just watched this video.
This Russia is just plain bad - you simply don't do stuff like that. :shock:
"If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need."

Cornubia in Heptarchy 14 - 3WD
Front Range in Emergence - 3WD
Holland in Colonial 7 - 3WD
House Baratheon in Diplomacy of Ice and Fire - Mad King SOLO
Mexico in WiTA 7 - stabbed to death
Thebes in Greek City States IV
Groo

Standard rating: 1575
All-game rating: 1664
Timezone: GMT

Postby Pootleflump » 29 Apr 2018, 14:44

Ok, DQ. You know I love your videos.

I'm still a relative newbie to this ol' game, still learning, but I'm going to have a stab at your puzzle. Why didn't you go for the solo?

I'm thinking that in 1906, if you wanted to create the optimum conditions for a solo, then you should have flipped back (after taking StP and making sure Russia couldn't do you any damage). Keeping Russia alive but small (with the carrot of possibly making it into the draw) to keep the pressure on France in the centre of the board. You have StP and Scandi, so he couldn't take dots from you, you're safe, so he'd have to keep pressure on France and Italy if he wanted to grow.

That would have allowed you to flip back and direct your units West.

To get to 18, you still needed other powers to exert pressure on F/I. But your relationship with Russia had broken down to such an extent he was never going to be a good vassal and you had to focus on eliminating him. That is resource (Eastern army) intensive for you and benefits F/I.

I had a similar situation in a recent game as England (140210). I DID flip back to France after taking StP, but made the mistake of taking too much of France out. Turkey capitalised. I could get to 17 but couldn't get my 18th centre. That ended in a 3WD too (even though I went for the solo). Reflecting on it, I think I could have solo'd if I'd played it slightly differently.
But, I nearly forgot, you must close your eyes otherwise you won't see anything

Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality
Pootleflump
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1836
All-game rating: 1907
Timezone: GMT

Postby DQ » 30 Apr 2018, 00:38

Groo wrote:DQ, so those are your videos! Just wanted to say I've enjoyed the world championship series a lot. Thanks for your effort, the quality content on diplomacy is rather scarce so I just wanted to give you a big thumbs up for what you're doing!

edit: just watched this video.
This Russia is just plain bad - you simply don't do stuff like that. :shock:

Thanks Groo! That means a lot. As my son says "Dad, you're famous - you have Dozens of followers!"

To which I reply - "SCORES, J - I have SCORES of followers!" :)
Stab you soon!
DQ

Postby DQ » 30 Apr 2018, 00:39

Pootleflump wrote:Ok, DQ. You know I love your videos.

I'm still a relative newbie to this ol' game, still learning, but I'm going to have a stab at your puzzle. Why didn't you go for the solo?

I'm thinking that in 1906, if you wanted to create the optimum conditions for a solo, then you should have flipped back (after taking StP and making sure Russia couldn't do you any damage). Keeping Russia alive but small (with the carrot of possibly making it into the draw) to keep the pressure on France in the centre of the board. You have StP and Scandi, so he couldn't take dots from you, you're safe, so he'd have to keep pressure on France and Italy if he wanted to grow.

That would have allowed you to flip back and direct your units West.

To get to 18, you still needed other powers to exert pressure on F/I. But your relationship with Russia had broken down to such an extent he was never going to be a good vassal and you had to focus on eliminating him. That is resource (Eastern army) intensive for you and benefits F/I.

I had a similar situation in a recent game as England (140210). I DID flip back to France after taking StP, but made the mistake of taking too much of France out. Turkey capitalised. I could get to 17 but couldn't get my 18th centre. That ended in a 3WD too (even though I went for the solo). Reflecting on it, I think I could have solo'd if I'd played it slightly differently.

You're VERY close - in fact, you have the answer, but you haven't articulated it. And don't forget Turkey.
Stab you soon!
DQ

Postby Justinrs2 » 30 Apr 2018, 00:48

It seems to me that two things prevented you from soloing: the fact Russia was so focused on bringing you down, and your lack of sufficient armies to bring France down. Even if you grab 3 or 4 coastal centers, you still wouldn't reach 18 and the rest of the board could easily unit against you.
Justinrs2

Standard rating: 1376
All-game rating: 1346
Timezone: GMT-6

Next

Return to Strategy