Opening Negotiations... and Team Play

What are your winning tactics? Kill them all? Discuss strategy for the classic and variant games using the classic map, or visit the sub-forums for the variant maps.
Forum rules
Strategy
In addition to the general Forum Guidelines (see here: viewtopic.php?f=130&t=15441), there are additional rules for posting in this forum.
1. When discussing strategy, reference should not be made to any active game. This section of the Forum is for general strategy discussion, not specific situations within games.
2. It follows that links, images, game name and/or number should not be added to a post if the game is active.
Posts which refer to a specific situation in an active game, or which link directly to an active game, are subject to editing or removal.

Re: Opening Negotiations... and Team Play

Postby FreeOrDie » 16 May 2018, 19:43

My play has typically been to establish cordial relations with just about everyone. I think it's key not to promise something and not deliver in the first turn. This establishes as you as unreliable, not just to the other, but to the whole board. This is particularly important in face-to-face games, in which folks will see the reactions of the disappointed/surprised/upset parties.

Active, frequent communications are key, as everyone has said. In face-to-face games, this also allows you to eat up others' time, preventing opposing alliances developing.

I think it's risky to actively propose attacks with another player against a third. (An exception to this may be in some instances of the Western Triangle). Rather, establish friendly triple arrangements, agreeing not to attack each other, with broad indications of items like "so you will be heading east".
FreeOrDie
Premium Member

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (969)
All-game rating: (969)
Timezone: GMT

Previous

Return to Strategy