Strategy for the Hundred Variant?

What are your winning tactics? Kill them all? Discuss strategy for the classic and variant games using the classic map, or visit the sub-forums for the variant maps.
Forum rules
Strategy
In addition to the general Forum Guidelines (see here: http://www.playdiplomacy.com/forum/view ... 30&t=15441), there are additional rules for posting in this forum.
1. When discussing strategy, reference should not be made to any active game. This section of the Forum is for general strategy discussion, not specific situations within games.
2. It follows that links, images, game name and/or number should not be added to a post if the game is active.
Posts which refer to a specific situation in an active game, or which link directly to an active game, are subject to editing or removal.

Strategy for the Hundred Variant?

Postby Jack007 » 20 Mar 2018, 09:49

Are there any strategy articles/resources for the Hundred variant out there? Personal experiences, hints, discussions also welcome.
8-)
Jack007 (xxxx.) unbanned for dubious reasons
Member of the Honorables
There is no greater solitude than the samurai's,
unless it be that of the tiger in the jungle… perhaps…
-bushido
Jack007
Premium Member

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1347
All-game rating: 1642
Timezone: GMT+1

Re: Strategy for the Hundred Variant?

Postby Groo » 20 Mar 2018, 10:48

Haven't tried it but it looks well balanced. Strategy - make other two players like your plan more than the plan of your opponents.

Btw are there duo stalemate lines? Haven't looked closely at it yet.
"If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need."

Cornubia in Heptarchy 14 - 3WD
Front Range in Emergence - 3WD
Holland in Colonial 7 - 3WD
House Baratheon in Diplomacy of Ice and Fire - Mad King SOLO
Mexico in WiTA 7 - stabbed to death
Thebes in Greek City States IV
Groo
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1621
All-game rating: 1786
Timezone: GMT

Postby Don Juan of Austria » 20 Mar 2018, 12:41

I'm interested to hear people's strategies....
"In everything, moderation". ~Aristotle
A proud member of the Whippersnappers,
Bronze Classicists,
Lancer in the PBF cavalry.

Ireland in Heptarchy 16!
Don Juan of Toledo in Diplomacy for Dukes and Popes!
Don Juan of Austria

Standard rating: 1047
All-game rating: 1160
Timezone: GMT+2

Postby Iggy » 20 Mar 2018, 16:47

It's been about a year or so since I last played a game of the variant... I wouldn't call myself an expert at the game/variant but I have played it quite a bit in the past.

The game is interesting and very different depending on if you are playing gunboat or traditional (stating the obvious, but still...). It's a great variant for a tactical/gunboat variety, given only 3 players but is also very interesting as a normal game with discussion, etc.

The key is being flexible. The game, when played well, is very much a 2 on 1 scenario with the 2 rotating depending on which of the 1 is doing best. It's all about trying to get into position to get that last center you need to take the solo. A few notes to consider as you are playing:

Flexibility is huge.
    Scotland can help push England or Burgandy over the top but going for it early is usually a fool's errand.
    Castile is more critical for England/France but still comes at a cost. Picking this up and then getting the unit back into the fray is huge for the country able to successfully do so.
    Being flexible is critical.
    The heart of the battle is all aorund control of Paris, Dijon and Calais but it's not just that.
    Capturing a given territory is always welcome but if you have quality opponents willing to adjust their schemes, falling behind early isn't necessarily a bad thing - not too far but giving up a center to gain position can work out. You end up being included in the 2 and can swing things into your favor with better position as you start to grow again.
    Did I mention the flexibility thing.
    A well fought game will have alliances alter often to address the current biggest threat - if you can convince someone you are weak when really you are about to be strong can be the deciding factor.

A lot of that is pretty obvious stuff to me but still worth pointing out. A few other thoughts...

Burgundy is often seen (maybe statistically proven?) to be the strongest country even though it only starts with 4 units. Often E/F will team up early because of that to keep Burgandy from growing. But if that happens, E or F will gain the advantage and be begging Burgundy for help to stop the other from the solo. Even when allied with someone, you will still be contesting lands, which is fun. E/B will often battle over the Strait of Dover and Calais even if working against France. E/F will often battle over Castile, Guyenne or Brittany even if allied against B. F/B will battle over Dij/PAR/etc.

With only a few neutral centers and only needing to gain a few total centers to win, the game is intense right from the beginning. It often is about simply outguessing your opponent and being creative on which territories you defend vs attack - but don't get too cute in the process!

Iggy

Standard rating: (1187)
All-game rating: (1259)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby NoPunIn10Did » 20 Mar 2018, 17:36

From my limited experience, the hard thing about this map was planning attacks without exposing myself to strategic retreats. There are a number of spots where a dislodged unit can slip past what you thought was your front line and cause havoc in the following turn.
NoPunIn10Did
Lead Volunteer Developer

Forum Administrator

Variant GM & Designer
NoPunIn10Did
Premium Member

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 1000
All-game rating: 1501

Postby Iggy » 20 Mar 2018, 21:06

NoPunIn10Did wrote:From my limited experience, the hard thing about this map was planning attacks without exposing myself to strategic retreats. There are a number of spots where a dislodged unit can slip past what you thought was your front line and cause havoc in the following turn.

There are a lot of times too when you will be planning an offensive and feel really good about it only to realize that you missed that one of your opponents can slip in the back door and suddenly you have problems you never dreamed of having!
Iggy

Standard rating: (1187)
All-game rating: (1259)

Return to Diplomacy Strategy