Studying "Grandmaster" Games

What are your winning tactics? Kill them all? Discuss strategy for the classic and variant games using the classic map, or visit the sub-forums for the variant maps.
Forum rules
Strategy
In addition to the general Forum Guidelines (see here: http://www.playdiplomacy.com/forum/view ... 30&t=15441), there are additional rules for posting in this forum.
1. When discussing strategy, reference should not be made to any active game. This section of the Forum is for general strategy discussion, not specific situations within games.
2. It follows that links, images, game name and/or number should not be added to a post if the game is active.
Posts which refer to a specific situation in an active game, or which link directly to an active game, are subject to editing or removal.

Studying "Grandmaster" Games

Postby Cliff Dancer » 07 Feb 2018, 20:44

In chess when one is learning, there are tons of sites to go and see game history from some of the greats, and for the most part, every single game has multiple teaching points. Does this exist for Diplomacy? I tried going to game history, but as you probably know, a vast majority of games has at least 1 non-active player, or 1 terrible player, that makes studying one particular game a bit of a wasted exercise. Where can I go to find "grandmaster" diplomacy to help accelerate my learning of the game?
CliffDancer, Russia in Colonial 7, Northumbria in Heptarchy XV, The Greys in Invasion Earth
Cliff Dancer

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1390)
All-game rating: (1418)
Timezone: GMT

Re: Studying "Grandmaster" Games

Postby asudevil » 07 Feb 2018, 20:51

You can't see messages

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=56880

But that game is our top / final board of our tournament we ran...and will be a good game

There are other tournaments we have run which would also be good places to start.
Captain FANG, forum team championships WINNER
Part of the surviving nations of WW4/Haven

Unless I am in the cheater's subforum. 99% of what I say is NOT as a mod.
asudevil
Premium Member

Standard rating: (1351)
All-game rating: (1437)
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby jay65536 » 07 Feb 2018, 21:10

The absolute best place I can think of is to go on Youtube and look for the videos of the top board of 2016 WorldDipCon. That is as close as possible to what you want.

In general, I'd say the problem with trying to set up this analogue to chess is that chess is a 2-player game of perfect information where strategy is much more straightforward. It's usually hard in Diplomacy to isolate a play--or sometimes even a player--as being "good" or "bad". Almost every play is conditional.
jay65536

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1120)
All-game rating: (1126)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby RedSun » 07 Feb 2018, 21:19

Cliff Dancer wrote:In chess when one is learning, there are tons of sites to go and see game history from some of the greats, and for the most part, every single game has multiple teaching points. Does this exist for Diplomacy? I tried going to game history, but as you probably know, a vast majority of games has at least 1 non-active player, or 1 terrible player, that makes studying one particular game a bit of a wasted exercise. Where can I go to find "grandmaster" diplomacy to help accelerate my learning of the game?

My suggestion is to just search up: [Country Name] Diplomacy Strategy.
It's a good place to start and you'll get various opinions from different players. You'll also pick up on the more common strategies of countries so you can understand how the majority of players play and counteract it.
From their its trial and error. Try games and try which strategies you think suit you. If they don't work then try a new one.
That's how I started onsite at least.
Groups:
The Glorious Holy Asterian Empire in CYOC
RedSun

Standard rating: (1156)
All-game rating: (1173)
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby Cliff Dancer » 07 Feb 2018, 22:17

Thanks for the tips! I've gone through all of those in the past (was watching the updates of the tournament as it progresses with the Central powers really cleaning house) - so yes maybe this is not as straightforward to find as I was hoping.
CliffDancer, Russia in Colonial 7, Northumbria in Heptarchy XV, The Greys in Invasion Earth
Cliff Dancer

Standard rating: (1390)
All-game rating: (1418)

Postby StarWatcher009 » 07 Feb 2018, 23:37

AARs are also a great place to learn from.

thewysecat does particularly good ones. (viewtopic.php?f=51&t=53125&p=874011#p874011 is a very good place to start)

WHS does good ones as well.

Conq's AAR on the top 7 board from 2014 (?) is also a masterclass.

Otherwise going through the AARs of tournament matches (which are generally higher quality) is also good.
Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.
StarWatcher009

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (1021)
All-game rating: (1406)

Postby DQ » 08 Feb 2018, 00:22

Cliff Dancer wrote:Thanks for the tips! I've gone through all of those in the past (was watching the updates of the tournament as it progresses with the Central powers really cleaning house) - so yes maybe this is not as straightforward to find as I was hoping.

The World Championship series from 2016 starts here: https://youtu.be/zPlUuvIV7ws
Stab you soon!
DQ

Standard rating: (1062)
All-game rating: (1063)

Postby Riles » 08 Feb 2018, 05:01

asudevil wrote:You can't see messages

Could this be something that is done in the future? Make a special game and put experienced (preferably talkative) players in a game and publish the private messages after the game ends? The players would know it going in so they know not to say anything too crazy. I think this could help teach new players how to manage communicating with everybody.
Riles

Standard rating: (1164)
All-game rating: (1362)

Postby condude1 » 08 Feb 2018, 07:15

That's not a bad idea, a game type where everyone can see all the players' messages throughout the game. It would probably be best to do it chronologically and by country - I click "Germany", and get a list of messages he sent in chronological order.
Telleo wrote:I don't think I've ever met someone who more perfectly embodied Chaotic Neutral than Condude1.

Moderator of the Mafia Subforums!

Silver member of The Classicists!
condude1

Standard rating: (1368)
All-game rating: (1307)
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby Chessplayer » 08 Feb 2018, 14:43

Yes, that sounds like a great idea. I guess we'd have to run it by the moderators first so they could set it up. Just as a recommendation, I've been watching the Diplomacy Academy videos and I think they do a good job of explaining the concepts that will help you do well in Diplomacy. Here's a link to one of the videos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8h_fNAbB18
Tactics, Comrades, tactics.
-Squealer
Chessplayer

Standard rating: (902)
All-game rating: (917)

Next

Return to Diplomacy Strategy