Diplomacy Academy 4: Negotiating from a position of weakness

What are your winning tactics? Kill them all? Discuss strategy for the classic and variant games using the classic map, or visit the sub-forums for the variant maps.
Forum rules
Strategy
In addition to the general Forum Guidelines (see here: http://www.playdiplomacy.com/forum/view ... 30&t=15441), there are additional rules for posting in this forum.
1. When discussing strategy, reference should not be made to any active game. This section of the Forum is for general strategy discussion, not specific situations within games.
2. It follows that links, images, game name and/or number should not be added to a post if the game is active.
Posts which refer to a specific situation in an active game, or which link directly to an active game, are subject to editing or removal.

Diplomacy Academy 4: Negotiating from a position of weakness

Postby DQ » 07 Jan 2018, 02:01

The latest video in my series on Diplomacy is up.

This episode focuses on the endgame. Feedback welcome!
Stab you soon!
DQ

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (1062)
All-game rating: (1063)
Timezone: GMT-5

Re: Diplomacy Academy 4: Negotiating from a position of weak

Postby hedge trimmer » 07 Jan 2018, 19:45

I think your videos are also well made and easy to follow, so they're fun to watch.

As for the advice itself, #3 (keeping your cool) can definitely be the hardest one to remember, especially if you just got stabbed. ;)
Silent and deadly Loud and annoying
hedge trimmer

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1454)
All-game rating: (1480)
Timezone: GMT+2

Postby jimbobicus » 08 Jan 2018, 00:17

My advice is don't get yourself in a position of weakness to start with! Hehe...

More seriously... if I was to add something to your 3 points...
4. Locate those players in a stronger position and ask yourself what do they want. Or you can even start by asking them this question if you think they'll give you a sincere answer. Then try to strike a deal with one of these more powerful countries that firstly keeps you in the game in the short run and secondly looks like you might have a chance to get back in the game in the longer run.
5. Be prepared to gamble. If you're in a bad position and play safe, the chances are you'll just gradually die. Especially in games against good players if you try to just sit it out on 1 or 2 SCs and play for a draw, you should get punished. Although I noticed in your video this sometimes didn't happen. Some of your opponents are far more charitable than I would be.

But all in all, a good video
"A friend to all is a friend to none" - Aristotle
jimbobicus

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1742)
All-game rating: (1662)
Timezone: GMT

Postby DQ » 08 Jan 2018, 03:13

jimbobicus wrote:My advice is don't get yourself in a position of weakness to start with! Hehe...

More seriously... if I was to add something to your 3 points...
4. Locate those players in a stronger position and ask yourself what do they want. Or you can even start by asking them this question if you think they'll give you a sincere answer. Then try to strike a deal with one of these more powerful countries that firstly keeps you in the game in the short run and secondly looks like you might have a chance to get back in the game in the longer run.
5. Be prepared to gamble. If you're in a bad position and play safe, the chances are you'll just gradually die. Especially in games against good players if you try to just sit it out on 1 or 2 SCs and play for a draw, you should get punished. Although I noticed in your video this sometimes didn't happen. Some of your opponents are far more charitable than I would be.

But all in all, a good video

All good points, mostly agree, a couple comments. In the endgame, most times I think you can find out what they want - they want to get the solo, or eliminate you for a smaller draw. And I agree that you can't sit around and hope for the draw - RARELY as Turkey, or if you are in a time-limited format that's an idea that can work, but I have only seen that maybe twice in 20 years of f2f play? Taking a gamble is so satisfying when it pays off, and if it doesn't and you die, well, you were headed that way anyway. :)

I think you're referring to my 1c Italian negotiating the 6wd in your last comment, and well, that was special. From a "scoring the tournament" perspective, they absolutely should have eliminated me - but the two big players on the other side of the board were world-class, and I was the most experienced player trying to stop them. One of them said (on the facebooks) in response to this episode: "So painful to listen to - if they had cut you out, we'd have rolled them back as far as we wanted."
Stab you soon!
DQ

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (1062)
All-game rating: (1063)
Timezone: GMT-5

Return to Diplomacy Strategy