New opening strategy for Austria?

What are your winning tactics? Kill them all? Discuss strategy for the classic and variant games using the classic map, or visit the sub-forums for the variant maps.
Forum rules
Strategy
In addition to the general Forum Guidelines (see here: http://www.playdiplomacy.com/forum/view ... 30&t=15441), there are additional rules for posting in this forum.
1. When discussing strategy, reference should not be made to any active game. This section of the Forum is for general strategy discussion, not specific situations within games.
2. It follows that links, images, game name and/or number should not be added to a post if the game is active.
Posts which refer to a specific situation in an active game, or which link directly to an active game, are subject to editing or removal.

Re: New opening strategy for Austria?

Postby DQ » 29 Oct 2017, 08:31

el Swine wrote:I have experienced one single truism whenever playing Austria. If Italy has it in mind to attack you, you are dead. Usually within 3 years

If you have an Italian player with a single ounce of sense, they know that ultimately they are dead too so they won't attack you for the first 3-4 years.

Hence Bud-Ser, Tri-Alb is always my Austrian opening. Vie can go to Tri if I'm living in fear, but usually it always goes to Galicia

There is a lot of truth to this, unfortunately. The advantages that Austria has in a land war with Italy are mostly negated by having R/T breathing down your neck.

A/R/T alliances do occasionally happen, and if you can get Russia to focus north, A/T has a lot to recommend it early. A/R has a hard time fighting I/T because R can't really get into the I fight, so A ends up depending on (or requiring) French or rarely German help.

One of the things that makes Italy so hard to play is that if you are passive, you can get to 4 dots and never get a good chance to do anything, and if you are aggressive, you can get to 5 dots and drag yourself and Austria (or France, or Germany) down with you. But if you get an agressive opening right, Italy is really explosive - one of the few powers that can legitimately build 3 in W01 and W02 and then fight it out - 9 centers in 1903? Yes please! But that is a very tricky thing to do. :geek: Done it once, after having seen someone else do it once. :geek:
Stab you soon!
DQ

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (1062)
All-game rating: (1063)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby DirtyHarry » 29 Oct 2017, 18:25

DQ - Can you enlighten us a little on how you got three builds for Italy in '01? Munich, Trieste and Tunis? Or maybe this is worth a new thread, since this a thread about Austria ...
DirtyHarry
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1356
All-game rating: 1373

Postby Cardlinger » 30 Oct 2017, 11:45

DirtyHarry wrote:DQ - Can you enlighten us a little on how you got three builds for Italy in '01? Munich, Trieste and Tunis? Or maybe this is worth a new thread, since this a thread about Austria ...

Greece and Marseilles are other '01 contenders too, yeah? Lots of options for a hawkish Italy! (not that I've ever succeeded!). It's just not possible to win Greece *and* Tunis in W01. Which is a shame, as I suspect you could remain friends with Austria as Italy if they were a way of winning Marseilles, Tunis and Greece :D

Best,
Cardlinger
Cardlinger

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1093)
All-game rating: (1106)
Timezone: GMT

Postby Don Juan of Austria » 30 Oct 2017, 17:44

Cardlinger wrote:
DirtyHarry wrote:DQ - Can you enlighten us a little on how you got three builds for Italy in '01? Munich, Trieste and Tunis? Or maybe this is worth a new thread, since this a thread about Austria ...

Greece and Marseilles are other '01 contenders too, yeah? Lots of options for a hawkish Italy! (not that I've ever succeeded!). It's just not possible to win Greece *and* Tunis in W01. Which is a shame, as I suspect you could remain friends with Austria as Italy if they were a way of winning Marseilles, Tunis and Greece :D

Best,
Cardlinger

If you're some kind of Olive-Oil smooth talking buttery type, you could get Greece, Trieste AND Budapest in year one. :D
"In everything, moderation". ~Aristotle
A proud member of the Whippersnappers,
Bronze Classicists,
Lancer in the PBF cavalry.

Ireland in Heptarchy 16!
Don Juan of Toledo in Diplomacy for Dukes and Popes!
Don Juan of Austria

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1047)
All-game rating: (1160)
Timezone: GMT+2

Postby DQ » 30 Oct 2017, 18:16

This was Tunis, Marseilles, and Trieste - followed by Spain, Vienna, and Serbia. Solo by 1905/6 I think? IIRC there was some acrimony between R/T and E/G and they never got anything together to stop me.

It isn't impossible I took tremendous advantage of Austria in 1902, supporting them into Bulgaria while following into Serbia. I don't actually remember the details, it was more than a decade ago. Just how surprised I was.
Stab you soon!
DQ

Postby Cardlinger » 31 Oct 2017, 12:59

Don Juan of Austria wrote:
Cardlinger wrote:

Best,
Cardlinger

If you're some kind of Olive-Oil smooth talking buttery type, you could get Greece, Trieste AND Budapest in year one. :D

You'd need to be assiduously greased up to squeeze your way into all of those in the first year! Like groundskeeper Willie getting through the Springfield Elementary School vents.

and DQ: I bet even after a decade that solo sticks in the mind! Nothing like 2 pairs refusing to play together to stop a soloist in the middle, eh...

Best,
Cardlinger
Cardlinger

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1093)
All-game rating: (1106)
Timezone: GMT

Postby Don Juan of Austria » 31 Oct 2017, 19:46

Cardlinger wrote:
Don Juan of Austria wrote:
Cardlinger wrote:

Best,
Cardlinger

You'd need to be assiduously greased up to squeeze your way into all of those in the first year! Like groundskeeper Willie getting through the Springfield Elementary School vents.

and DQ: I bet even after a decade that solo sticks in the mind! Nothing like 2 pairs refusing to play together to stop a soloist in the middle, eh...

Best,
Cardlinger

:lol: :lol: :lol:
"In everything, moderation". ~Aristotle
A proud member of the Whippersnappers,
Bronze Classicists,
Lancer in the PBF cavalry.

Ireland in Heptarchy 16!
Don Juan of Toledo in Diplomacy for Dukes and Popes!
Don Juan of Austria

Standard rating: (1047)
All-game rating: (1160)
Timezone: GMT+2

Postby DQ » 31 Oct 2017, 21:28

That was a good one.

Still nothing compared to Edi Birsan getting the board to concede his Italian Solo in 1904. I wasn't on that board but was at the event. It was ridiculous, but everyone agreed he could get it from there and there wasn't any point in playing it out. :roll:

Now that's some good diplomacy.
Stab you soon!
DQ

Postby WHSeward » 31 Oct 2017, 21:54

The Immaculate Concession
"As a general truth, communities prosper and flourish, or droop and decline, in just the degree that they practice or neglect to practice the primary duties of justice and humanity." WHS

A member of the Classicists.

Ask me about mentor games. Send me a PM or post in the Mentoring forum.
WHSeward
Site Admin
Site Admin

Standard rating: (1633)
All-game rating: (1647)
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby Shyvve » 31 Oct 2017, 22:48

My opening strategy for Austria is to immediately join a new game ASAP and hope I don't draw Austria in that one...
An Oldie and Gold Classicist. Moderator for the Classicist group.
Shyvve
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1360
All-game rating: 1392
Timezone: GMT-6

PreviousNext

Return to Diplomacy Strategy