Tuscany - What is it for?

What are your winning tactics? Kill them all? Discuss strategy for the classic and variant games using the classic map, or visit the sub-forums for the variant maps.
Forum rules
Strategy
In addition to the general Forum Guidelines (see here: http://www.playdiplomacy.com/forum/view ... 30&t=15441), there are additional rules for posting in this forum.
1. When discussing strategy, reference should not be made to any active game. This section of the Forum is for general strategy discussion, not specific situations within games.
2. It follows that links, images, game name and/or number should not be added to a post if the game is active.
Posts which refer to a specific situation in an active game, or which link directly to an active game, are subject to editing or removal.

Tuscany - What is it for?

Postby Enriador » 02 Oct 2017, 21:33

Hello guys! So, today I want to talk about the board's design, the Tuscany province specifically. After all... what is it for? Why would Italy move VEN/ROM there?

I can see a use for Clyde, Syria, Albania, Prussia etc, both in openings and in mid-long term strategy. But Tuscany is a riddle! There is nothing Tuscany can do that Venice, Tyrrhenian Sea and Rome can't do much better.

Yes, it shields Italy from France. But if Italy is exposed enough that France can afford to attack them, then Tuscany alone is not much of a defense! And if Italy is the one attacking, well, Tuscany becomes an obstacle to expansion westwards...

What do you think?
Enriador

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (974)
All-game rating: (975)
Timezone: GMT

Re: Tuscany - What is it for?

Postby StarWatcher009 » 02 Oct 2017, 21:47

It's often an opening that France can exploit while attacking. Convoys there are always a great fear for me.
Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.
StarWatcher009

Standard rating: (1021)
All-game rating: (1406)

Postby Don Juan of Austria » 02 Oct 2017, 22:00

Its useful. :D
"In everything, moderation". ~Aristotle
A proud member of the Whippersnappers,
Bronze Classicists,
Lancer in the PBF cavalry.

Mild Hiatus.
Don Juan of Austria

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1051)
All-game rating: (1148)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby Nanook » 02 Oct 2017, 22:08

From an Italian perspective, it comes into play mid to late in the game if you have to bottle up aggressive fleets in the med--with the unit in Pied usually being an army, Tusc becomes a vital support for or against TYS and GOL. It's not as immediately and obviously helpful as, say, Albania, but it serves a purpose and helps balance the Med region.
Platinum Classicist
(h/t lordelindel)

Admin
Nanook

Standard rating: (1209)
All-game rating: (1413)

Postby Guns of Brixton » 02 Oct 2017, 22:57

And as a region it's beautiful and makes phenomenal wines.
Platinum Classicist
Channel Swimmer
Guns of Brixton
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1540
All-game rating: 1599

Postby AngelEyesGBU » 03 Oct 2017, 05:17

Tuscany is for Sangiovese, Chianti, Montepulciano, and especially Brunello di Montalcino.

Also for the destination of the devastating French Fall 1902 Convoy Spa=►Tus (Lyo C) !!!
Gold member of the Classicists
Angel Eyes: But you know the pity is when I'm paid, I always follow my job through.
Tuco: When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
Blondie: You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig.
AngelEyesGBU

Standard rating: (1074)
All-game rating: (1059)
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby Eleusinian » 03 Oct 2017, 06:10

I can't have been the only one to read the subject line in the voice of Edwin Starr, right?

Tuscany (Hu! Yeah!) -- what is it good for? Absolutely nothing! (Say it again, y'all!)
Eleusinian

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (984)
All-game rating: (981)

Postby Nanook » 03 Oct 2017, 06:12

Eleusinian wrote:I can't have been the only one to read the subject line in the voice of Edwin Starr, right?

Tuscany (Hu! Yeah!) -- what is it good for? Absolutely nothing! (Say it again, y'all!)

I fully expected to see a reference to that when I opened the post, was very mildly disappointed not to.
Platinum Classicist
(h/t lordelindel)

Admin
Nanook

Standard rating: (1209)
All-game rating: (1413)

Postby el Swine » 03 Oct 2017, 13:04

On a serious note I can only guess that Tuscany exists because every country has 6 provinces, so it's for symmetry and equality in attacking/defending.

So the obvious... Turkey has 5. Why? Maybe that's why it's easier to defend. That and only having 2 direct neighbours.
el Swine

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1251)
All-game rating: (1258)
Timezone: GMT+10

Postby Bromley86 » 03 Oct 2017, 13:30

Russia has 7.

Would there be any push-back if the official game included a 7th Italian or Austria province to separate the Ven/Tri centres?
A member of the Classicists, a group that aims to reduce NMRs/surrenders.
Bromley86

Standard rating: (1880)
All-game rating: (2233)
Timezone: GMT+12

Next

Return to Diplomacy Strategy