Diplomacy Puzzle #4 - The Artillery Arms Scenario

What are your winning tactics? Kill them all? Discuss strategy for the classic and variant games using the classic map, or visit the sub-forums for the variant maps.
Forum rules
Strategy
In addition to the general Forum Guidelines (see here: http://www.playdiplomacy.com/forum/view ... 30&t=15441), there are additional rules for posting in this forum.
1. When discussing strategy, reference should not be made to any active game. This section of the Forum is for general strategy discussion, not specific situations within games.
2. It follows that links, images, game name and/or number should not be added to a post if the game is active.
Posts which refer to a specific situation in an active game, or which link directly to an active game, are subject to editing or removal.

Diplomacy Puzzle #4 - The Artillery Arms Scenario

Postby Captainmeme » 27 Sep 2017, 14:53

New puzzle video is up :) This is one is an exact replica of a real scenario, with Turkey, Germany and Italy all being played by very high-level players. Turkey really did manage to work their way into the draw - I'll go into that more in the solution video.

If you want to discuss or give solutions in this thread, please be sure to use spoiler tags! You can also shoot me a PM if you'd prefer.
I've now lost so many tournaments I can no longer fit them in my signature.
Captainmeme

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (1004)
All-game rating: (1005)
Timezone: GMT

Re: Diplomacy Puzzle #4 - The Artillery Arms Scenario

Postby WarSmith » 27 Sep 2017, 22:17

Looks slightly familiar!
My aim would be to manouvre to kingmaker. Defend resolutely Vs Italy by attacking Bulgaria as many times as possible with 2v2. Let go of warsaw early. Eventually it's a destroy of BLA and Get Germany into Ukraine (this will require an active support) and negotiate to receive double support in Sevast to form stalemate.
Ukraine & Moscow supporting Sevast to hold against the threat of Rum/BLA/Arm.
Obviously I'm simplifying the phases that would lead to it... and keen to see how it actually played out.
"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth even has a chance to put its pants on”
WarSmith
Premium Member

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1754)
All-game rating: (1664)
Timezone: GMT+2

Postby Captainmeme » 28 Sep 2017, 21:33

That stalemate line is the most common answer I (initially) get to this puzzle, but it doesn't quite work. There's an Italian unit in Gal that can cut Ukr!
Captainmeme

Postby WarSmith » 28 Sep 2017, 21:35

Oh yes hadn't seen that!
"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth even has a chance to put its pants on”
WarSmith
Premium Member

Standard rating: (1754)
All-game rating: (1664)
Timezone: GMT+2

Postby petermcnamara » 06 Oct 2017, 19:55

Is the next turn to be played a spring turn or a fall turn?
petermcnamara

Standard rating: (993)
All-game rating: (994)

Postby Jegpeg » 06 Oct 2017, 23:04

petermcnamara wrote:Is the next turn to be played a spring turn or a fall turn?

First line of video
"It's Spring 1914....."
Jegpeg

Standard rating: (1125)
All-game rating: (1401)

Postby Captainmeme » 08 Oct 2017, 01:12

Specifically, this boardstate is the result of Builds, 1913, and the orders you enter now are for the Spring turn.

I haven't had any correct answers to this one yet, which surprises me a bit. I'm wondering if maybe the negotiation aspect puts players off the puzzle. Regardless, a solution video will be out for it within the next couple of days.
Captainmeme

Postby Captainmeme » 17 Oct 2017, 17:25

Happy to announce that the answer will be published in the Autumn 2017 issue of the Diplomatic Pouch - which will hopefully be out within a week!

I've had 3 correct answers thus far, one of which is from a PlayDipper (gsmx). One of them was so well written I scrapped my original solution article and asked to publish it instead!
Captainmeme

Postby DQ » 10 Dec 2017, 01:18

I'm really sorry that I hadn't seen this before now - hooray Discord Archives! This is a much more useful puzzle than many, because it makes you think about negotiating from weakness - a condition you will all to often find yourself in if you play enough Diplomacy.

The key here is, as you've noted, not any stalemate line, but rather your ability to THROW the solo to either power. G/I both need 3 more to win; Italy can immediately force Smy, Germany Warsaw. That leaves two, and hey, you have two more dots. So you need to play them off against each other. It looks to me from my quick first analysis that it is easier for you to throw to Germany than Italy - getting Germany into Galicia is definitely doable, and that's the key for a German win. So you need to get Italy to bypass the certain Smyrna and go to Armenia, where he can support you into Sev. For the German part, you have to convince him to not attack you in Warsaw, or you will give the game to Italy by supporting HIM into Sev.

Addressing the idea that one or the other might back off to allow you to be eliminated is also key - you have to be willing to throw it to the person who doesn't back off in order to convince both of them that they will lose if they do so. And the conditions to each player also have to be hard - any shenanigans and you'll throw. If they BOTH back off, then you ... I don't know, retake Bulgaria and build? :D

There is no stable 17/17 for them that I see. If Germany takes a dot from you, you remove fleet Black Sea and Turkey gets the win, and if Turkey is the stabber, you are dedicating your game to getting Germany into Rum/Sev.

Finally, the fact that you can see who votes for the draws is fascinating, and lets you insist on a draw vote immediately - whomever doesn't vote for the draw, the other player gets the solo!

A MOST Excellent example of how your position can matter more than the number of units on the board.

Awesome.
Stab you soon!
DQ

Standard rating: (1062)
All-game rating: (1063)
Timezone: GMT-5

Return to Diplomacy Strategy