Gunboat Austria, seriously, WTH?

What are your winning tactics? Kill them all? Discuss strategy for the classic and variant games using the classic map, or visit the sub-forums for the variant maps.
Forum rules
Strategy
In addition to the general Forum Guidelines (see here: http://www.playdiplomacy.com/forum/view ... 30&t=15441), there are additional rules for posting in this forum.
1. When discussing strategy, reference should not be made to any active game. This section of the Forum is for general strategy discussion, not specific situations within games.
2. It follows that links, images, game name and/or number should not be added to a post if the game is active.
Posts which refer to a specific situation in an active game, or which link directly to an active game, are subject to editing or removal.

Re: Gunboat Austria, seriously, WTH?

Postby Guns of Brixton » 23 Aug 2017, 11:09

Here's how it played out:

I kept Tri in port and although Italy took the Alps per normal, I benefited slightly from Russia ceding me Gal:

Italy's aggression made me double back to cover, but my initial position in Gal caused Russia to cover War and kept the pressure off. Italy decided to gamble on Mun (and won) but my defensive moves would have kept me safe anyways. Turkey's decision to take Rum both emasculated Russia (always helpful) and left Greece still up for grabs and the fact that he took it with a fleet made Bud secure.

The following Spring I was able to grab Gre as Turkey played it conservatively by protecting Rum and get my fleet into action so that my new Hellenic prize could be protected in the Fall. Russia belatedly took Gal but he was a much less scary bear at that point and Italy helpfully headed West.

For the close of '02 I lucked out a bit in my guesses: 1) I used Alb to support Ser to Tri which successfully bounced Italy's belated attempt there (after he'd retreated to Tyr from Mun), 2) I guessed that neither Russia nor Italy (or else both!) would try for Vie, 3) I theorised that Russia might try for Bud and moved to block it but that proved unnecessary as he concentrated on retaking Rum and 4) I gambled that Turkey wouldn't go all-out for Gre as he'd see Russia as his primary foe and was right.

In 1903 Italy's Western adventure lured me into gambling with my fleet and I chose to chance leaving Tri open in the theory that I could retake it in the Fall (most likely) if necessary. Turkey's existential war with Russia meant my Eastern border wasn't under serious threat:

And we'll conclude the early game phase with a successful bounce in Tri keeping it open for a build (I chose not to go for a 2nd fleet yet though) and a waltz into Nap for my 3rd build - a solid Austrian opening.

Platinum Classicist
Mentor
Guns of Brixton

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1580)
All-game rating: (1622)
Timezone: GMT

Postby mhsmith0 » 30 Nov 2017, 10:06

So basically if Russia screws up the opening and Italy leaves his flank wide open for you, soloing as austria isn’t too brutal :P
Proud holder of the Superior Tophat of Solving, an item entrusted with the forum's most prominent smartass
mhsmith0
Premium Member

Standard rating: (1269)
All-game rating: (1439)
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby mhsmith0 » 30 Nov 2017, 10:13

Gunboat tourney also had an austria solo
http://www.playdiplomacy.com/game_play_ ... _id=113652
Involving turkey going Russia attack AND Italy going piedmont while Austria went Balkan gambit,

I kinda suspect Gunboat Austria needs to go Balkan gambit more often and just hope that Italy isnt hostile or the fall moves coin toss (post tyrolian attack) works out.
Proud holder of the Superior Tophat of Solving, an item entrusted with the forum's most prominent smartass
mhsmith0
Premium Member

Standard rating: (1269)
All-game rating: (1439)
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby ExiledAtHome » 03 Dec 2017, 20:32

Guns of Brixton,

I clicked on your link and started to look through your order history for that game. I came away observing you'd had an incredibly fortuitous Fall '02. I see you've since acknowledged that bit of good fortune. Had Vienna and Greece fallen, I think this match goes an entirely different direction.

Not intending to slight your performance by any means, but Fall '02 really demonstrates how important a little bit of good fortune can be in Gunboat. Without the ability to overtly communicate, there is so much guesswork involved. In most cases, I would surmise Austria would crumble in Gunboat with an aggressive Italian opening like that.
Gold Classicist Member
ExiledAtHome

Standard rating: (1385)
All-game rating: (1590)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby UsernamePending » 04 Dec 2017, 20:41

Guns of Brixton wrote:
Goldain wrote:How in the world can Austria survive much less have a chance to win in a gunboat game? I mean Italy's going to gun for you right off the bat. Turkey's coming for you. And Russia is coming for you. What set of opening moves for Austria is there besides "I'm going to sit on Trieste, bounce Galicia and take a nibble at Serbia until I get surrounded and I die?

Study and learn, Grasshoppers: http://www.playdiplomacy.com/game_play_ ... _id=131162

8-)

Okay, that was downright impressive. You managed to keep up with a very successful England for that long and even got a 19th bragging rights center.
I'm just a nob that played Diplomacy as a kid. Don't mind me. No, I don't have 17 centers. Don't look at me like that.
UsernamePending

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (1031)
All-game rating: (1042)
Timezone: GMT

Previous

Return to Diplomacy Strategy