Russia No Build

What are your winning tactics? Kill them all? Discuss strategy for the classic and variant games using the classic map, or visit the sub-forums for the variant maps.
Forum rules
Strategy
In addition to the general Forum Guidelines (see here: http://www.playdiplomacy.com/forum/view ... 30&t=15441), there are additional rules for posting in this forum.
1. When discussing strategy, reference should not be made to any active game. This section of the Forum is for general strategy discussion, not specific situations within games.
2. It follows that links, images, game name and/or number should not be added to a post if the game is active.
Posts which refer to a specific situation in an active game, or which link directly to an active game, are subject to editing or removal.

Re: Russia No Build

Postby Barack_O_Drama » 17 Feb 2014, 20:13

[detailed information on an active game removed - Petunia]
Barack_O_Drama
Premium Member

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1000)
All-game rating: (1528)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby Petunia » 17 Feb 2014, 22:51

Hi everyone, please try to refrain from discussing active games. Particularly Fog of War games where a player reading the thread where you've written out your orders in detail, and their results, would garner an advantage over a player who has not. Even if this doesn't occur to you as common sense, these rules are written in red right up there at the top of the page. Thanks.
Any views expressed prior to Dec 2013 are solely my own and do not represent the site or its administration in any way.
I took a break from the site for a while. I'm back now. Hi.
Platinum Classicist
Petunia

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1583)
All-game rating: (1571)
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby Barack_O_Drama » 18 Feb 2014, 02:56

That was stupid of me. I apologize.
Barack_O_Drama
Premium Member

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1000)
All-game rating: (1528)

Postby NOS482 » 18 Feb 2014, 05:31

If I had inadvertently helped a player in an active game, I apologize. :oops:

But one must admit, it must be very difficult to NOT discuss strategy that is currently, some where on the site, not being used in an active game. :cry: For instance, Lepanto. A "traditional" gambit. But there must be dozens of Lepantos failing and succeeding at the time of this posting. (Or Juggernauts, or EFG Triad, etc etc) With sincere respect, how could one discuss a Lepanto (or any of the others) without it being censored? :?: As an advocate of a player being able to discuss rules and strats in ANY game while playing (like asking for an instant replay in Football, or breaking out the rule book in a game of Axis and Allies, or rushing the umpire about a bad call in baseball), I have always wondered why their is such a vehement "No Active Games" policy (faction?) on the site. I mean I understand it in concept, but it just seems to me that it cancels out: Player X reads Strat #1 and uses it. But player Y reads it too, and counters it. Ad infinitum. :| It just seems that is just so much work for the admins/mods and a lack of creativity or capability on the part of the player that has to resort to this. :idea:

I guess my angle is something akin to... well, it kind of reminds me of Patton, in Africa against Rommel, "You magnificent Bastard! I read your book!" :ugeek:

(End rant!) ;)
That which does not destroy us, makes us stranger (and leaves scars).
NOS482

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (1529)
All-game rating: (1650)

Postby Carebear » 18 Feb 2014, 06:37

NOS482, you bring up a good point about the likelihood of discussing a strategy or tactic that is going on in some game somewhere on the site.

I think the key component is not mentioning a particular active game or a person from such an active game involving themselves in the discussion.
You can have my last supply center, when you pry it from my cold dead hands.

Spam Ambassador Wannabe

Officially Sanctioned Site Gadfly (meaning the negative kind of sanction)
Carebear

Standard rating: (1573)
All-game rating: (1589)
Timezone: GMT+8

Postby Petunia » 18 Feb 2014, 08:20

NOS482 wrote:As an advocate of a player being able to discuss rules and strats in ANY game while playing
Rules, always. Strategies, yes. 'What should I do in this situation,' no. It's simple. A player asking for and receiving advice for a particular situation enjoys an advantage over players that respect the game enough not to do so.

I have always wondered why their is such a vehement "No Active Games" policy (faction?) on the site.
Policy. Again, you can clearly see the rule up above in red. It's nothing at all like an instant replay in sport or any of the other examples you cite. It's more like a pitcher in baseball who has until now gotten by on his own velocity and command and then suddenly being able to access Randy Johnson's fastball, Pedro Martinez' changeup, 2002 Barry Zito's curveball and Mariano Rivera's cutter against batters who are using their own ability to compete. (Note: 'more like' not 'just like')

it just seems to me that it cancels out: Player X reads Strat #1 and uses it. But player Y reads it too, and counters it. Ad infinitum.
This just isn't at all relevant to any of the things that we have rules against posting.

Perhaps the immediate case is instructive. The material that I removed was the entirety of one player's orders and their results for both 1901 movement phases in a Fog game. You honestly can't imagine how that information might provide a material advantage to some players in the same game?

And before you say 'he might be lying, it's just a c+p' that's why we have a rule against using the forum to influence an active game.
Any views expressed prior to Dec 2013 are solely my own and do not represent the site or its administration in any way.
I took a break from the site for a while. I'm back now. Hi.
Platinum Classicist
Petunia

Standard rating: (1583)
All-game rating: (1571)
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby NOS482 » 18 Feb 2014, 16:50

Fair enough. I intend to follow the rules. And I can see where in, say a gunboat or FOW game it could be abused. I guess, it comes down to me feeling that as competitive adults we should want to compete and win on our own merits. Respect. ;)

Sorry to have added to what seem to historically be a touchy subject. :oops:

So, barring any other disruptions, I would still like to hear what folks think about "Russia No Build" :ugeek:

Cheers!
NOS482

Postby gareth66 » 19 Feb 2014, 10:59

NOS482 wrote:But one must admit, it must be very difficult to NOT discuss strategy that is currently, some where on the site, not being used in an active game.

I think you're missing the point of this rule completely. What you are not allowed to in the forums is discuss details of actual games that you are in. Making up scenarios that do not resemble an actual game that you are in is fine, and the fact that in doing this you may inadvertently be discussing a situation that is real in some game somewhere on the site is not the point of this rule. Such game would not be traceable from what you have posted (unless you do something dumb like reference it, then you would be in breach of the rules). An interesting twist on this is that if you do make up a scenario, and that scenario is actually occurring in some game somewhere, then a player in that game would be breaking the rules if he came into the thread and posted linking the thread to his active game.

But I think that's all just common sense really.
gareth66

Standard rating: (1485)
All-game rating: (1638)
Timezone: GMT

Postby NOS482 » 19 Feb 2014, 22:34

Thanks Gareth.

;)
NOS482

Postby NOS482 » 26 Feb 2014, 23:15

Folks, I edited the bullets of a section so it is more clear that Austria is in no better a position than Turkey at proposing the No Build. To the point: The best chance politically of this working is for either England or Germany to propose it to the rest of the aggressor powers. :geek:

Thanks for reading and commenting. Controversy about "Active" games aside, I really would like to have some more input and feedback concerning this.

Cheers!
NOS482

PreviousNext

Return to Diplomacy Strategy